Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Graham
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Suppose three cars are lined up in a 3-sector corner in which each sector is only 1 lane, but the next sector after the corner is two lanes. If the rear car uses solo or lead movement he could push the two cars ahead. Since rule 6.3 states conditional linking can be started or stopped at any time, could he push the first car into one of the lanes, then unlink, then relink to other car and proceed forward with it in the other lane?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You answered your own question there, I think. Because of 6.3, I'd say that yes, you could conditionally link until you have a clear lane, then unlink & blow past them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really feel this particular rule, conditional linking, is the heart of the game. I really like it when you can push and/or pull cars then get to a point to overtake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ragram wrote:
Suppose three cars are lined up in a 3-sector corner in which each sector is only 1 lane, but the next sector after the corner is two lanes. If the rear car uses solo or lead movement he could push the two cars ahead. Since rule 6.3 states conditional linking can be started or stopped at any time, could he push the first car into one of the lanes, then unlink, then relink to other car and proceed forward with it in the other lane?

Yes. It can do exactly that. It is vastly underused by players right now as the inexperienced players don't think of it and the TA players still are conditioned not to break links. But eventually, Grand Prix players will find many ways to exploit this for their own benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules mention that the active car can break a conditionnal link by "changing lanes". The fact that it can be broken at any time, even without changing lanes does maybe not seem explained clearly enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Graham
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers. We were having a rules-lawyer type discussion and wanted to make sure this was the way to play.

It does seem to be the heart of the game. I use that and breaking into a line by moving laterally. For a while we overlooked that moving laterally costs only 1 if you don't displace anyone, which is great for moving out of a line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Beckman
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends a lot on your point of view/past experience. As an avid open-wheel racing fan, I got the rule right away and it made perfect sense. I've also played Thunder Alley and the rules differences there also make sense to me as a more casual NASCAR fan. The slight differences in the rules really do help to capture the different flavors of each type of racing.

That said, if you are game player with no background as a racing fan, I suppose some of the concepts could seem difficult to grasp, especially if coming from Thunder Alley first. Many Euros today are so abstract that the rules can make little sense, as they don't map to anything in the real world (and I tend to stay away from those type of games). Simulations, even somewhat abstract ones like Thunder Alley and Grand Prix, give us something real to map rules to when things don't always seem clear - but of course, if you aren't all that familiar with what's being simulated, than that doesn't help much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack I totally agree with your background comments. I don't own Thunder Alley, not a Nascar fan, but after playing this game I will be buying it.

Another gem I picked up playing this game is that you need teamwork to stay competitive, near the front. If you go it alone your car will get bypassed and you could go from front to flop very quickly.

One of the areas I look for to jump out of line and overtake other cars is the corners, just like real racing. If you can end your movement in a single line corner you will benefit from others pushing, possibly pulling you.

As a solo player I make this move for all the cars in this particular situation and seem to get a lot of position changes at this point.

I really like this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree with Jack's comments. Being a long-time race fan--mostly sports car & open wheel road course--I get what what rules are trying to replicate and was able to easily make the mental adjustment from TA draft lines to the GP conditional links. I also have had Formula Dé since long before they dropped the "é" and play Race! Formula 90. I saw where Jeff was going with the rules adjustment.

I think even more of an important tactical change is the NPC cars and how they are used. I seem to be the only one who's really latched onto that in my group and they are ending up with many fewer NPC cars to utilize after I've used up the neutrals. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
I think even more of an important tactical change is the NPC cars and how they are used. devil

That is the one facet of the game I do not like. To me even using NPC cars is just gamesmanship and not really about racing. I see it as a quirky way to disadvantage your opponents. I would rather use sound tactics and racing experience for my team instead of relying on misdirection from a neutral source to succeed.

Just not a big fan of the NPC's. I don't use them. But as I've previously stated I play solo so maybe in a group game they add to the excitement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.