Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One night dungeon crawl with leveling up ala 1st edition, but with random(ish) layouts!...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/30/delving...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's amazing! I am floored, FFG does it again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow...this looks JUST a lot like what most people were asking for.

I don't get it. It's too good to be true. It's not April 1 either.

There MUST be a catch.

Now, if it's like the Game Night kits (Nature's Ire, etc.), then it's a one-off. Your characters start at Act 1 and finish in Act 2 with moderate XP gain along the way. It's not the kind of format that would let you ramp up the same characters across four or five or eight delve sessions.

We'll have to wait and see if characters can be used to play several delves in a row with some progression along the way, or if each delve is self-contained. But honestly, this looks so good that either way would be ok with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Mendes
Portugal
Santarem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excelent. Really enjoy what they are doing with the App.

Only thing missing for me is being able to do the original campaigns in full CooP mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Just when I thought I was done with Descent...

Well played FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until they start producing this stuff as print content, I am done with Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Until they start producing this stuff as print content, I am done with Descent.
I'm not sure the Road to Legend content would work as well in a print format. The way it handles hidden information would be a pain to format printed material for. Replacing the decision making process with a deck similar to the co-op games would also be troublesome since you'd probably have to switch cards in and out of the small deck constantly. RtL really only works digitally in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could certainly be done.

It would not have to work in exactly the same way as the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Piechocki
msg tools
mbmbmb
It could be done, sure - efficiently though? No chance. For starters having thematic readings and music and "hidden information" and a fair opponent with player controlled flexibility without requiring a player for those that prefer co-op.

App-phobia is annoying and a sign that you've not actually tried it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a phobia. It's a dislike for it in games. I did try it and found it too intrusive.

But the future of Descent appears to be entirely app based, so it's been shelved for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am not privy to sales informations, I have a feeling the "analog" co-ops did not light as much a fire under Descent as this app has done. IMHO, they are going to gain a lot more customers over losing them going this route...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son (9yo) and I are having so much fun with the app! I didn't feel he was ready to play it the traditional, competitive way, and we are having a blast destroying monsters together.

We had tried the analog co-ops, but they were far too fiddly for a child's patience level (at least MY child's)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the little co-op packs are not the same thing as a full campaign system that lets you use all the components.

Of course they are more limited and less popular.

Not to mention the app adds much more than just a single co-op mission.

A giant boxed campaign set with random mission generation cards and an enemy AI would be a better comparison than POD cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would also cost a lot more. So far it looks like the projected cost of a new campaign will be about $10. You need to increase that to hit the price point of (for example) the POD stories that were released for Mansions of Madness 1E, and we're looking at a lot more components required to do what you're suggesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously. That's why I said a large box expansion.

I'm not talking about limited on shot stories packs here, like the POD they used to do.

I'm talking about a box that would allow random dungeon creation, campaign play across available expansions, and an enemy AI for people that value co-op play.

Not an impossible set of goals, by any stretch. Each new expansion could then contain the dozen or so cards needed to incorporate it into the random system and AI.

But, like I said, it's a moot point, because FFG seems to see the future as app only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you were suggesting. The reason I brought up the one shot PODs is that, with the app, they can release a product that adds all this functionality at the lower price point of a POD rather than the higher cost of a big box set.

Of course it's not impossible to do it that way but the reason they're doubling down in this and see it as the future of Descent is because fan response has been tremendous.

Given that, why would they spend the resources to develop an 'analog' version that does the same thing?

It's obviously not for everyone, but does it need to be? There are plenty of games in this style out there, the vast majority not requiring an app to make use of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there are plenty of people who own lots of Descent 2nd stuff that would like to use it in new ways but don't like apps.

So they can develop however they want, but it's obvious that the new direction they are taking is apps, or at least the flavor of the moment.

So I have shelved this game, and won't buy more for now.

Incidentally, I don't cosider POD packs a good deal because they are very limited. I would rather buy a boxed expansion with more content than just cards for 60 bucks than 15 dollar card packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, but can they make a game that does about the same but be just as accessible? Nope.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Ah, but can they make a game that does about the same but be just as accessible? Nope.

-shnar

Probably. But we will never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why all the bias against digital products? Also why would you "shelve" a game just because they released an app for it? The physical game hasn't changed, and they are still going to release physical products in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

So I have shelved this game, and won't buy more for now.

Because the app retroactively damaged all of the components you already own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, curious: how did you find the Road to Legend app "too intrusive"? I've having trouble thinking of any aspect of it where the experience wouldn't be almost exactly the same if done with cards and a quest guide (it would just have to be with about fifteen quintillion cards and a quest guide the size of the Encyclopaedia Britannica).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Also, curious: how did you find the Road to Legend app "too intrusive"? I've having trouble thinking of any aspect of it where the experience wouldn't be almost exactly the same if done with cards and a quest guide (it would just have to be with about fifteen quintillion cards and a quest guide the size of the Encyclopaedia Britannica).

This tends to be my response as well. The complaints about the app integration remind me of the few complaints from "purists" re: Pandemic Legacy, and the concept of "omg tearing up/writing on my board game components and altering them permanently!" It seems somewhat knee-jerk and probably a little too emotional. Both that legacy concept, and FFG's recent app integration have been TREMENDOUSLY fun ways to play games cooperatively.

That said, I do understand the feeling of getting "left behind" so to speak. Several video game companies have done this to me, Blizzard and Bioware being two that come to mind immediately. I used to be a "buy every Bliz/Bioware game on release day" person, but they've both gone in directions where they've completely lost me, and I no longer give them my money.

I'd suggest you try it. If you've tried it, maybe try it again with a good cooperative partner (or more than one), and with a bit of an open mind, imagining while you're playing exactly how you think physical cards/books would actually be superior to an app. My instinct tells me that you'll actually realize that the physical version of what this app does would just be way too fiddly and obnoxious. Redjak's variant is neat, but it IS fiddly, and while most of us pine for these FFG apps to integrate the existing campaigns, what they already DO offer is fantastic, and there's always hope for a clever programmer on their end to find a good way to integrate said existing campaigns in the future. We don't know yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's is shelved because I have played through the content I own and would like to play with new stuff. But not with an app. I also have lots of other stuff to play right now and if a game isn't working for me, I move on, as I have said multiple times.

What's amazing is how whenever anyone mentions that they don't like apps with boardgames, people feel that it's because we live in stone huts and hate technology.

It is also funny that you think a physical product that accomplishes the same thing would have to be exactly the same, only all on cards. It would, obviously, have to be different.

Also I have tired the app, and it was not an amazing breakthrough in game setup and play. It was a distraction that I did not enjoy.

Ans by "me" in the above, I mean myself and the group of people I play with. It isn't just my, personal feelings on the app.

For all you guys that love the apps, cool. Enjoy it. I don't and won't continue supporting a game that dedicates it's future expansions in that direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a good use of the xpac map tiles in the app. Just what I've been waiting for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.