Hide
9 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sequence of Player Actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt M
msg tools
Quick question based on disagreement between myself and a friend on interpretation of the play Hogwarts cards and take hero actions Step 3 on page 8 of the rulebook.
Scenario: during my turn I first play some cards including enough damage to kill the Basilisk. I then move onto assigning damage, killing the basilisk, and we all draw a card including myself.
Argument: My friend believes once a player has gone through the play cards phase of Step 3 that they cannot return to that phase once they have moved onto another phase, in this case assigning attack. I believe that each phase of Step 3 can be done in any order and as many times in sequence. My argument being that the reward for the player who defeats the basilisk is null otherwise.
How are others understanding this situation?

Thanks,
Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Step four only says to remove defeated villains; its doesn't say collect rewards and then remove defeated villains. The rulebook says that you gain the rewards immediately upon defeating the villain, which happens during step 3, not step 4. I believe your interpretation to be correct.

This is actually a very important distinction to make because there is a Year 5 villain whose attack happens during step 3. You will typically want to defeat that villain before taking other actions so as to avoid unnecessarily setting off that villain's trigger. If defeat happens during step 4, you would have to suffer the attack despite having already placed the requisite attack tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been playing like your friend suggests and not your way. Might need official clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules clearly state (page 8):
Step 3
active hero may do all of these in any order you choose
-play cards to gain resources
-assign (attack) to villains
-use (influence) to acquire new cards

under play cards the line 'cards and resources cannot be saved from one turn to the next so it is advisable to use everything each turn'-implies as the OP stated rewards would be useless if you had already completed that step and could not return to it (ie-draw a card from the basilisk but cannot play it since you finished playing your cards and had moved on to another action OR you gain an influence from Quirrell but cannot spend it because you already bought and had moved on to attack and thus lose it at the end of your turn OR you draw a card from a villain reward but cannot play it and thus it is discarded without effect because you had moved on from you play card phase (said phase doesn't exist anyway).

So IMO OP is correct (not the friend). Common sense tells me step 3 is played out in any order you desire and the 3 different actions may be interwoven back and forth as most other deckbuilders do and as the rewards based in this game imply it should work as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some of the answers so far have been correct, but some have not been answering the question that was asked.

For the purposes of this post, I'll say that 3a is playing cards, 3b is assigning damage, and 3c is acquiring cards. I think the OP realizes that villains "die" (and dish out rewards) in 3b, and then later they are removed from the board in step 4.

The question (I think) is whether you can jump around between 3a, 3b, and 3c, before declaring your turn to be over. I'm pretty sure you can, although the rules are not quite as explicit as one might prefer. They say of step 3 that "you may do all of the following in any order you choose".

I think the only reasonable assumption is that you can do as many actions of any of the 3 types as you want, in any order. If you had do complete one type of action before starting another, then the "any order" thing wouldn't make sense, because there would almost never be a reason to acquire new cards before playing cards from your hand.

So I think you are correct: Play some cards, assign the damage, get a reward, play more cards, acquire new cards, play more cards, assign more damage if a villain is available who hasn't already been killed, and then end your turn.

EDIT: As Jbabel said, but I didn't notice the first time I read it, " the 3 different actions may be interwoven back and forth as most other deckbuilders do and as the rewards based in this game imply it should work as well."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FaulkSniper wrote:
Quick question based on disagreement between myself and a friend on interpretation of the play Hogwarts cards and take hero actions Step 3 on page 8 of the rulebook.
Scenario: during my turn I first play some cards including enough damage to kill the Basilisk. I then move onto assigning damage, killing the basilisk, and we all draw a card including myself.
Argument: My friend believes once a player has gone through the play cards phase of Step 3 that they cannot return to that phase once they have moved onto another phase, in this case assigning attack. I believe that each phase of Step 3 can be done in any order and as many times in sequence. My argument being that the reward for the player who defeats the basilisk is null otherwise.
How are others understanding this situation?

Thanks,
Matt

You can play cards and resolve effects in any order. So if you play a card that gives you the Attack to defeat the Basilisk, you can draw a card and continue to play more cards on your turn.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that just made things a wee bit easier :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rickert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nethershadow wrote:

You can play cards and resolve effects in any order. So if you play a card that gives you the Attack to defeat the Basilisk, you can draw a card and continue to play more cards on your turn.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly

Can you please clarify one more thing about defeated Villains?

The Rulebook says:

Quote:
Step 3: "When the number of attack tokens assigned to a Villain equals its Health, the Villain is defeated! (See Defeating a Villain on page 12 for details.)"

Defeating a Villain: "You immediately gain the reward listed on the Villain card, and place it in the discard space in the center of the board (my emphasis). At the end of your turn, replace the defeated Villain with the next Villain card from the top of the stack."

This implies that discarding the Villain is a step 3 action. Therefore, I assume that the defeated Villain's ability is no longer active for the remainder of the current player's turn. So, if I defeat the Basilisk, and I still have cards in my hand that let me draw cards, I can play them and draw cards even though my turn started with the Basilisk in play.

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nethershadow wrote:

I have a different question, which came up last night. I played a card which generated attack, and also allowed me to roll a die.

What I wanted to do was: Collect the attack, use it to defeat a villain, and then roll the die.

Splitting up the effects of a card felt wrong, though. So I took my attack and rolled the die, and then defeated the villain.

Could I have legally interrupted the card to defeat the villain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.