Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is kind of the counter to my other thread about disappointing games. Here I'm listing 10 games I either heard bad things about, or didn't expect to like them, or just didn't think I would like them as much as I do.

This list was arguably harder to make than the disappointments one.

In no particular order.

Battleship: Hidden Threat: I picked this up for about $4 at Tuesday Morning. This was when I was in the "I gotta buy all the games" phase. I didn't expect much (Battleship card game, for $4), But I was really surprised. It's better than regular Battleship, a lot better. This one is relatively strategic, and while there is some luck, it's still a pretty solid 2 player game.

Saloon Tycoon: I watched a video or two about the game, and it just didn't look interesting to me at all. But I played it recently, and I really liked it. The theme comes through really nicely and the gameplay is simple, but enjoyable. I already want to play again.

Eclipse: This was my first 4X game (I don't count Tiny Epic Kingdoms). I was very hesitent going in because I knew it would be long, and I didn't really know what to expect, but I absolutely loved it! The length didn't bother me at all. I've been itching to play again, it's been a while.

Greed: I had heard about this one, and it sounded decent, a drafting game, which is a mechanic I like. I heard it was kind of like 7 Wonders, which I like, but I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I mean, I really really liked this one. I even requested a second play. It's so smooth, and the theme comes through well, without being overly thematic. I really love this one.

Jump Gate: A simple little game from The Game Crafter. I didn't expect much, but I was really surprised. I would love to see a big name publisher pick this up, because it's a really fantastic game.

Love Letter: Batman: This is on the list because I didn't like regular Love Letter. It fell completely flat for me. But the graphic design in the Batman version brings up to a lot! I know the gameplay is technically the same, but that graphic design really makes a difference.

Quartermaster General: I'm not a fan of war, and I've never really been interested much in playing war games, but I gave QG a shot, and I'm glad I did, because I really like this game. Yes, it can come down to luck, and yes, the individual factions may be somewhat unbalanced, but I still think it's a fantastic game.

Eggs of Ostrich: Someone randomly brought this to a meetup one time. It's a weird, small, Japanese game that plays exactly 3 players. But man is it elegant. The design is about as simple as No Thanks!, and it just works. There's strategy to it. Really interesting design, and one I didn't expect to be as good as it was.

Guillotine: Guillotine is one I heard people talk about all through my experience gaming, but I didn't actually get a chance to play it until fairly recently. Being from Steve Jackson games, I didn't honestly expect much from it, and it's not an amazing game, but I did enjoy it more than I thought I would.

Terra Mystica: I started getting into more complex/heavy Euro games around the beginning of this year and the end of last year. I knew Tom Vasel didn't like this one, and I thought it looked really confusing. But after playing the first time I realized it wasn't all that confusing, and it was actually a really fantastic game. This might be one of my favorite games, I always have a good time playing this one.

What about you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.