$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
46% of Goal | left

Support:

Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought the original Guardians' Chronicles game from and have been playing it all week. Just tonight I played using the Death from Above menace sheet linked on the kickstarter page. I played it solo with three heroes all on the same team, so there was no hero on hero skirmishes. Those would probably change the feel of the game significantly, but I can't say for sure.

I was a bit concerned by the sheet since it has three triggered actions for every villain figure on the board. I had thought this would turn into a lot of delays in checking to see what they should do, but this was not the case. While there were tons of robots on the board, they were all quickly dispatched as mooks in comic books typically are. So most of their events never came up. Skarov's were needed a lot, but it's just one figure so reacting to the hero's actions was pretty simple.

Skarov's reactions were pretty good, it had a nice feel of him trading blows with the heroes. But it felt like the menace sheet didn't have him doing enough. He just stood around in his control room retaliating to attacks. He never pursued the heroes so hit and run tactics were highly effective in avoiding his attacks.

The menace sheet also doesn't have any mechanisms for triggering the traps in the super villain's lair. Sure robots spawned in large numbers and kept you busy, but it was a little dull just moving and smashing to reach Doktor Skarov's control room. This might be where a second team of heroes would spice things up, I can't really say.

Skarov's lack of activation and the missing traps really detracted from the game's theme a lot. The robots don't have much health nor do they do much damage. You just smash, move, smash, move, smash, move until you get to Skarov. The traps give you something else to think about during this time. Positioning yourself to dodge the effects or spending an action to disable a trap could make for interesting decisions with the missile launch countdown going on.

It was dull getting to the control room I guess is what I'm saying. Fortunately the movement is fast so it only took a couple turns to get there. Once you got there the game became fun in a hurry.

Waves of robots keep coming so you've got to pause and thin their numbers otherwise you'll be unable to move. There's four missiles that meed disarmed, but to do that you have to be on Skarov's tile if you end your turn there he'll shoot you and he hits really hard. It ends up being quite a bit to juggle especially once you start using up your power cards.

The Weakness cards really shine in this scenario. You're on the clock and every action matters. When Sergeant Freedom has to play that weakness to redraw his cards and your whole team loses an action, you really have to get creative to recover form that. Those sort of moments really make up for the slow start.

It just seems like you shouldn't have to make up for anything. The trap mechanics are already there, just get them on the Menace sheet.

I had a blog post about playing the game against a player controlled villain, and it was much more fun than the Menace sheet. I'm still excited about all the stuff I'm getting from my kickstarter pledge. The mechanics in this game are a lot of fun. I'm hopeful that the Menace sheets will be improved before the game is released. If not then I think I'd be fine working with a player controlled villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The menace sheet also doesn't have any mechanisms for triggering the traps in the super villain's lair. Sure robots spawned in large numbers and kept you busy, but it was a little dull just moving and smashing to reach Doktor Skarov's control room. This might be where a second team of heroes would spice things up, I can't really say.

Skarov's lack of activation and the missing traps really detracted from the game's theme a lot. The robots don't have much health nor do they do much damage. You just smash, move, smash, move, smash, move until you get to Skarov. The traps give you something else to think about during this time. Positioning yourself to dodge the effects or spending an action to disable a trap could make for interesting decisions with the missile launch countdown going on.

I belive it was discussed that the intro Scenario was created to simply introduce the team mechanic.

All 3 tiles except Skarov's are normally Traps, but in this case they were used simply as an example areas to reflect starting areas that had 4 spaces in the for each team to begin in.

As in a regular game in CG1, you would have an entrance, a control, an objective and a trap tile accordingly.

Quote:
It just seems like you shouldn't have to make up for anything. The trap mechanics are already there, just get them on the Menace sheet.

I agree here, I am going to hope they did not forget that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
I belive it was discussed that the intro Scenario was created to simply introduce the team mechanic.

I must have missed that discussion on the kickstarter, I had thought that was a draft of a full menace sheet. If it's just showing off the team mechanics, then its probably not a bad choice since the villain is underplayed.

It does make me feel better about the fully cooperative options since they'll likely make some improvements with the released version. Thanks for cluing me in on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.