Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Snack Menu for a Game Night rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hello everybody,

I was interested in hearing how you handle snacks (I.E. special dips or appetizers or desserts) and or specialty drinks at your game night.

Do you provide them? If not why? If so what type/menu? Do you pick a menu based on what is playing?

I have done bacon wrapped stuffed olives and apple pie from the local super mart.

Veggie straws and big red. The usual Pizza but homemade, I have also made a full blown meal for everyone, it was homemade Fettuccine Alfredo with Italian Sausage, another night was Enchilada Pie.

What about you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Bennett
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
When we have board game events that are planned out, we usually split up snacks and drinks. I usually prepare sliced up meats, cheeses and crackers, as well as a couple pitchers of iced tea and kool-aid. We have a friend who often brings some sort of veggies and dip, and usually some sort of cookie or other dessert. We often either have pizza at some point for a proper meal, or we'll break for some sort of asian food, either chinese buffet, sushi, or Pho. A couple of times I've used the slow cooker to make barbecue pulled pork for sandwiches.

Since we've hosted all of our get togethers, I always feel like I should provide some sort of food thing, though I appreciate it when others bring stuff as well. I usually prefer and suggest stuff like cheese and crackers, or veggies and dips- low grease, finger foods that are easy to toss on a paper plate and nibble on while we play!

We're having a halloween board gaming party in a few weeks, and I'm planning on having a big ol' bowl of halloween candy as well as my usual stuff, and I believe one of our friends may be bringing some sort of pumpkin cookies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adriaan
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
depending on the time I have during the day, I love making veggie samosas for our game night. Or make them the evening before. As for the rest, toast with various meats and spreads are always a go-to. We tend to avoid crisps and coated nuts.

As for specialty drinks, we usually start out with a bock beer when in season, but quickly resort to cheaper beer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some day I want to try making Igor bars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
usually a bit of candy or pastry. never any meats/cheeses n stuff.

+ lots of coffee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First, no food during games. You can drink but put your drink on another table where they can't damage the games.

Otherwise, I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat oil or fat either. So I either bring my own food (usually raw vegetables) or cook it : homemade pizzas are the easiest, while still not being junk food. People are not used to it though so they don't find it very tasty. I, on the other hand, like the taste of raw food and the occasional spice, mustard and vinegar. They just need to re-learn the taste of things. I mean, it's France. We're supposed to be the best at that, and the more picky (let me laugh out loud now.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fondue, oysters on the half shell, and Cheetos ---- obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
The host of our gaming days provides coffee in the morning, home-brewed beer throughout the day, and dinner (pulled pork prepared in his smoker if the weather allows, otherwise, it's usually spaghetti with a red sauce). Everyone usually brings snacks (donuts for the morning crowd, finger foods like frozen Taquitos to heat in the oven, and various bags of salty snacks). Some people get take-out for lunch if the snacks aren't enough for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
My weekly game night almost always has cheese and crackers, which I provide. I also provide a fair amount of soda. The others bring stuff from time to time, like if they notice I'm low on beverages, or they want something specific (beer etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Cheese Puffs, greasy fried chicken, and lots of good barbecued ribs dripping with sauce!
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
home-brewed beer throughout the day

Neat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Qwerty
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doritos, other kinds of chips. Dr. Pepper, Coke, Pepsi. Sometimes cupcakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie & Ken Marshall
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
We host a Meetup once a month in our home from 1:00-9:00, so I feel I should provide some type of meal and beverages. For drinks we have assorted sodas and ice tea. For dinner I usually do something in the crockpot or make-ahead to cook in the oven. Pizza is super easy if you go that route--but I tend to stay away from that. Everybody usually chips in $5 to help cover my cost. We've done tacos, chili, King's Hawaiian sandwiches, giant sub sandwiches from the store, etc.

As far as snacks, we ask that everyone brings a snack to share throughout the afternoon. We usually always get lots of cookies/desserts, chips, dips, pretzels, fruit, etc.

We've found this seems to work out great. We have snacks all day and can eat @ 6:00 or so. As host, I find I'm distracted at times with dinner prep, but the day runs smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have game nights twice and month, and we all bring snacks to share. They're often nuts or crisps (the non-staining kind), but we often have fresh fruit too - grapes, strawberries, cut up melon. Anything too wet I can provide cocktail sticks for.

We drink tea or coffee, soft drinks and wine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
First, no food during games. You can drink but put your drink on another table where they can't damage the games.

Otherwise, I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat oil or fat either. So I either bring my own food (usually raw vegetables) or cook it : homemade pizzas are the easiest, while still not being junk food. People are not used to it though so they don't find it very tasty. I, on the other hand, like the taste of raw food and the occasional spice, mustard and vinegar. They just need to re-learn the taste of things. I mean, it's France. We're supposed to be the best at that, and the more picky (let me laugh out loud now.)

Djeez your guests get strict rules and regulations on where to set down their beverage PLUS they get a free lesson in why everything they like to eat sucks and your food is so good they just don't understand it yet?

Sounds like I'm missing out on a great evening
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The menu is whatever each player ate before they arrived as there will be NO EATING OR DRINKING AT THE TABLE!

That's only semi-true. I request that everyone keeps their drinks away from game components, particularly in summer months, unless it's in a bottle that can be closed. Everyone usually brings some snacks: cookies, chips, and so on. Back when I was single I would typically bake a dessert like brownies or cookies for everyone to partake in. But, of course, hands must be wiped clean before going back to handling the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Djeez your guests get strict rules and regulations on where to set down their beverage PLUS they get a free lesson in why everything they like to eat sucks and your food is so good they just don't understand it yet?

Sounds like I'm missing out on a great evening

I'm providing free awareness of the wrongdoings of the food industries. They'll thank me later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

I had a guinea pig, boy did she love eating that stuff. Can't say I'd have joined her in sharing a meal but she sure could wolf down veggies.

edit: Fixed tense as she's been dead for 12 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coffe, beer, desert (pie?), and full dinners are common.Squash soup, potato leek soup, meat pies, koblosouvli, blaukraut, homemade pasta, whatever as parts of dinners. Cookies are great mid game snacks. The greasier the better devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

I had a guinea pig, boy did she love eating that stuff. Can't say I'd have joined her in sharing a meal but she sure could wolf down veggies.

edit: Fixed tense as she's been dead for 12 years.

I had a chinchilla who loved uncook spaghettis, rosebuds, and dried banana. The banana was very tasty. Spaghettis not so much :/ I never dared the rosebuds. But she seemed to love it as she jumped all around with it in her mouth or paw when I give it to her. That was so adorable

My sister actually tasted dog meat once.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
But she was like three

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Johnson
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the four of us in my weekly game group take it in turns to cook.

Its my turn this week and I am planning a Chicken korma with boiled rice, onion bhaji and bombay potatoes and plenty of popadums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do primarily snacks like chips, pretzels, cookies, etc, and a big entree like chili or pizza.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We take turns cooking dinner for everyone, eat and clear table before games come out.

Cheers,
Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaleb Belveal
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
If you anything like my girlfriend and I, you might not always have the funds to feed everyone. Usually we either have a very BYOB situation where everyone brings their own snacks, or we sometimes like to have everyone eat before coming over. It also helps to keep the games clean. Nothing more frustrating than someone who can't clean their hands properly and then touches all of your pieces.

Personally though, I like to have Flaming Hot Cheetos or Cheez-its. Now that Surge has recently come back and is readily available, it's been a very popular choice of soft drink for game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually everyone kind of just brings some generic snacks they like. I host the majority of game days/nights and will sometimes make a main course and ask for help with sides. Sometimes we all just go in on a pizza. With the cooler months coming, I'm thinking more slow cooker recipes and homemade soup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.