17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » Ontario

Subject: Game Group in KW & Cambridge? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lyorica Larson
msg tools
mbmb
Hello, someone posted a shortcut to look for gamers in BGG database wiithin X mile radius but I didn't want to sound creepy and PM people randomly so I just want to ask if you know any active game group in KW and Cambridge? I have just started getting into boardgames recently and now building my collection but it's not been easy to set a schedule that works for my friends I appreciate your help thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KW has quite the thriving gaming culture!

First, every other month (the next is in Nov) there is a game day event at the Breslau community centre. If you're interesting finding out more, let me know. There is usually 40-50 people attending (spread out over the day), open game format and everyone is very friendly. 6 days a year I look forward to.

There are three game cafes that would be a good way to meet new gamers. They are all excellent. There are few in Guelph as well.

The group I game with normally meets Fridays. Unfortunately, due to my work schedule, I haven't been able to attend lately, but I'm hoping that will change soon...

Welcome and I hope you find some gaming buddies soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyorica Larson
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for your warm welcome Kevin, your words seemed quite avuncular-ish I've already joined Breslau boardgamers and will be attending the event on Nov 19th, I sure look forward to it!
Hopefully I find group/s that play more frequently in addition to this.

As for game cafes, I've only been to Games on Tap and I love it! showing up alone though is something I'm reluctant to do for these reasons:
1 people are already playing, don't know how far they are in the game
2 you don't know if you're welcome to join and depending on the game ie heavy, it may not help that Im noob and they have to teach me
3 I'm not the type that would approach and ask.. so I guess this is the grown up way of wanting a playmate eh? in this modern day.. humanity goes back to basics and yearn for tabletop games. Anyway, I appreciate your time and effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
Lyorica wrote:
I've only been to Games on Tap

Welcome to BGG!!

Games on Tap is a really nice cafe (I'm particularly fond of the candy bowls whistle ).

Just the other day I popped in to take a quick look at a brand new one in Guelph called The Boardroom:

http://www.theboardroomguelph.ca/

It was really bright, really spacious, the owners were super-nice, and you could even put your cover charge toward the cost of purchasing one of the many new games they have for sale! I'd definitely love to go there for a game or two sometime, and my favourite gaming partner lives in Guelph, so I'm sure it would be easy to arrange something. Of course, I'm always happy to go back to Games on Tap, too.

Feel free to send a PM any time if you'd like to set something up, or if you just have any questions about this fantastic but slightly overwhelming website! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
If you are not having fun, then you are missing the point.
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional information

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/21460705#21460705
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyorica Larson
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Josh! The Boardroom sounds good.. I live in Kitchener closer to Cambridge side but I don't mind driving to Guelph, I look forward to meeting you and possibly your gaming partner I will PM you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyorica Larson
msg tools
mbmb
Sweet! Thanks for the info.. uhmm I must say Just by chance looks a bit more intimidating to me with MtG tournaments and stuff, yikes.. looks like a whole new different level to me hehe, will PM you. Thanks Christian!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Boardroom is a great spot! I've been there once, but loved it.

Crossroads Cafe in Waterloo is an excellent spot. They have a Facebook page, and if I'm in the mood to head up, I'll post a few hours before to announce my attentions. I usually end up with a few people willing to play.

Glad to hear you're planning on attending Breslau. If all goes well, I will be too!

Hope to meet you over a game soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Gingerich
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitchener used to have a Saturday event that happen every couple months but it has been on pause for a bit. There has been talks of getting it up and going again. I'll post it if it happens soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyorica Larson
msg tools
mbmb
Please do, thanks Eli!

mrgingerich wrote:
Kitchener used to have a Saturday event that happen every couple months but it has been on pause for a bit. There has been talks of getting it up and going again. I'll post it if it happens soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Paterson
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Droo!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lyorica wrote:
Thank you for your warm welcome Kevin, your words seemed quite avuncular-ish I've already joined Breslau boardgamers and will be attending the event on Nov 19th, I sure look forward to it!
Hopefully I find group/s that play more frequently in addition to this.

As for game cafes, I've only been to Games on Tap and I love it! showing up alone though is something I'm reluctant to do for these reasons:
1 people are already playing, don't know how far they are in the game
2 you don't know if you're welcome to join and depending on the game ie heavy, it may not help that Im noob and they have to teach me
3 I'm not the type that would approach and ask.. so I guess this is the grown up way of wanting a playmate eh? in this modern day.. humanity goes back to basics and yearn for tabletop games. Anyway, I appreciate your time and effort.

The Breslau Games day has been moved to Nov 12th...
It mucked up my plans - hopefully not yours too!

Breslau Boardgame days in 2016

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyorica Larson
msg tools
mbmb
Droo wrote:
The Breslau Games day has been moved to Nov 12th...
It mucked up my plans - hopefully not yours too!

Hey thanks for the update Droo.. It's 1-11pm so I can still probably make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Walker
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Woof!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the Adventurers guild that does Lone Wolf Wednesday to meet new people in the area!

Otherwise I think you've got into Stormgate, and the KW board game groups on Facebook.

Hope to see you out at a few events! (And hopefully start making it out to more myself now that the weather is taking a turn...)

Cheers,
Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Croal
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With respect to Guelph, The Boardroom has been mentioned and it is my favourite. The Roundtable Tavern is OK too. I saved a few dollars on a game I bought there recently. My daughter is looking forward to Pathfinder RPG campaigns starting up there soon. She says the initial meet-up went well.

The Dragon is a comic book store and a very good one. They also sell games and host game play. There is also a book store and a toy store downtown that sell games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good gaming and game groups in Waterloo. I used to help host a big "last-Friday-of-the-month" group at my office that has largely broken up (due to my new office being a secured/locked down place). But there are a large number of smaller groups that meet once per week.

I'm probably starting a new weekly one up looking for a total of 4-6 folks (perhaps rotating depending on interest in specific scheduled games) in northwest Waterloo if interested (GM me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hi! I'm also in the KW region, looking for a regular gaming group. I'm pretty new into games as well. I went to the last Breslau event, which was fun but I was only able to stay for one game of Agricola. Seems there are a few people in this thread offering themselves to meet up, but shoot me a message too if you'd like to arrange a time to play. I have a growing collection and would love to get them to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a game night scheduled for the evening of Friday the 25th in a private room on the U of W campus. I've sent a note out to those who have reached out to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.