Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Bua
United States
Flushing
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few plays one of my players came up with a neat idea to stop everyone from just doing short merchant runs and winning like that.

You put the cubes just sold on the planet. This planet no longer needs that color cube as the customers are flooded with merchandise as long as their are cubes on that planet.

Now after all the NPC ships move, one cube of each color is removed from each planet.

When there are no more cubes on that planet, the demand is there again for that particular good.

Keeps the merchants among up doing different routes .

I find it pretty to be a pretty elegant solution.

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the official "economy board" in the upcoming expansion although this is a good idea nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I greatly prefer the Economy Board.

I think this method simply lasts far too long. If you harvest 6 cubes and sell them, then for six whole rounds of the game Cyber would be unsellable. That's way too long.

I'm also slightly confused by your terminology:
Quote:
Now after all the NPC ships move, one cube of each color is removed from each planet.
If what you mean to say is after each NPC ship's turn, remove a cube. Then this might actually work. Removing 3 cubes a turn, regardless of how many players would probably be fine.

If you're saying it collectively, as in remove a cube after all the NPCs have moved, then I'm mostly confused by when the NPC's are acting in your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bua
United States
Flushing
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant that once everyone has done their move one cube is removed of each color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't understand why you specifically call out NPC's (and moving) because you make it sound like all the NPCs act together at the end of the round. A much easier way would be to define a term like "Round: One round consists of every person and NPC taking one turn."

So If this happens after every single human and NPC has had their turn, then that is *far* too slow of a recovery. This means that an average trade, which is 4 cubes, locks that sell spot for 4 "Rounds". This isn't just bad, it's quite possibly crippling.

Mining and Harvesting which already are underutilized by most, because it comes with some danger, gets yet another huge drawback. This basically prevents multiple people from Harvesting at the same time. Whoever sells Cyber first is fine, and the other player is locked in with a bunch of unsellable goods. That's certainly not fun.

Another problem with this rule is the timing of when it is triggered. Since it happens at the end of the round basically... and I'm assuming if there are three planets with cubes on them then one cube would be removed from each planet at the same time. This means that whoever the first player is, has a large advantage in timing. No matter when those good were sold, he will always have the first shot at selling. Not to mention the last player in a 4-5 player game could effectively be locked out of ever selling goods. After a half dozen turns this can become a real problem for the last player. Even when sell spots open, he would have to wait through every players turn, and just hope that something is still available, and even then it may not make sense timewise for him to go to all the effort to sell at what spot is still available.

In short this rule is not fair to all players equally.

-----------------------------

I have seen a rule similar to this posted, but not nearly as "extreme". What these people have done is use the extra Armed Marker for each ship. When you sell cubes you place your Marker on that sell spot. You cannot gain FP when you sell at a spot holding your marker. You can still get money, but no fame.

So you have to sell at any other spot to get a FP, then your Marker would move to that spot, and you could again get a FP for selling at the first spot.

Most of the people that have adopted such a rule have the Marker only affect the person that placed it. So you can't just go back and forth, which addresses the issue, but doesn't stop other people from playing the game.

-----------------------------

No houserule that I have seen or heard of is as elegant as the Economy Board.

Too often people say they are "fixing" the game, and they don't realize all the other things that they are *breaking* in the process.

I apologize if this post is overly harsh, It's not intended to be mean, just simply to point out some of the flaws with your approach, and suggest alternatives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wiant
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbua wrote:
After a few plays one of my players came up with a neat idea to stop everyone from just doing short merchant runs and winning like that.

You put the cubes just sold on the planet. This planet no longer needs that color cube as the customers are flooded with merchandise as long as their are cubes on that planet.

When there are no more cubes on that planet, the demand is there again for that particular good.

Keeps the merchants among up doing different routes .

I find it pretty to be a pretty elegant solution.

What do you guys think?

I think I would love to hear how this works for you! Maybe try returning the cubes faster (1 after each NPC). I haven't seen the rules for the upcoming "economy board" but I would be interested to see how your idea changes things in the mean time.

I would try it, but our group isn't having trade goods problems at the moment (it only happens when we we happen to get 2 good planets right next to each other).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.