Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Delve Quest variant - The siege of Schompf rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francesco M
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Following the Delve Quest variant concept, we have tested the quest “The siege of Schompf”. I hope you will also enjoy it and I am looking forward to your feedbacks.

You have joined the army of the Emperor on its crusade to break the siege of the unlucky city of Schompf. However help has arrived late and it is unlike that the city will resist until the reinforcements. The orc horde has suddenly emerged from the nearby hills and your commander has ordered you to infiltrate their camp and steal precious information about the horde.

SETUP

Enemies

First set: shuffle Black Orcs, Goblin Shamans, Orc Boys, Gigantic Spiders and 3 open Tier II enemies

Note: after making the first set, return the three left Tier III enemies (Warlock Engineer) to the box.

Second set: shuffle Goblin Warriors, Night Goblin Archers, 9 open Tier I enemies and 9 open Tier II enemies

Note: after making the second set, return the three left Tier I enemies to the box.

Place the second set on the first shuffled set.

Set aside Snak Kraggle (instead of Unkel) and Garrok Gorelord (instead of the Abomination); neither begins in the nemesis lair but both are moved there through peril effects involving respectively Unkel and the Abomination. Snak is also spawned through peril effects while Garrok has to be found in the Da’ Boss’s Bench location.

Locations

Place the Da’ Boss’s Bench location card as the bottom of the location deck.

Shuffle the Tier III locations with the trait "Lair" (there are five in the core game) and place two of them on top of the Da’ Boss’s Bench.

Shuffle the Tier II locations with the trait "Lair" or "Cave" (there are four in the core game) and place three above the Tier III locations.

Shuffle the Tier I locations with the trait "Lair" or "Cave" (there are four in the core game) and place three above the Tier II locations.

Additional rules

When the counter reaches the blue or red peril do not return enemies in the box as described in the Delve Quest. Instead, during the game, return to the box all the discarded enemies which are not "Gigantic Spider" or don't have the trait "Greenskin"

If the counter reach the red peril heroes can still recover health (do not apply FAQ 1.0)

If the counter is on the red peril and you have to move it again (or you reach the Da’ Boss’s Bench location), take instead the Waagh! quest and place the counter on the first peril spot. Follow now the instruction on the Waagh! quest ignoring the setup rules.

The soldiers of Schompf fight bravely in attempt to defend the city but you know that many of the attacks of the horde are just a diversion before the massive one which will destroy the main gate. You have discovered that a renowed orc Warboss named Garrok Gorelord is in charge of the assault and he will lead it at night when the city will be more vulnerable. There is no time to report back to your commander, you have to kill the orc Warboss now. With a bit of luck this could create enough confusion in the horde and gives the Imperial army the chance to save the city.

Heroes will still be able to replace basic actions and recover health according to the instruction on the Delve Quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you for the Delve Quest variant, while I rarely play it due to its length, your changes definitely made the ending more climactic and in my play I got overrun by monsters. I was wondering however through your playtests if you found there is enough incentive to explore past the first Tier III location, as either way Garrok will come eventually.

I see that the Da'Boss's Bench can decrease enemies spawned by Peril effects, but considering you spawn 8-9 monsters from traveling from the first Tier 3 location to Da'Boss's Bench, it takes 8 rounds on the "Waagh!" quest card before exploring that far decreases the enemies you have to face, (notwithstanding the explore actions you need to take for Da'Boss's Bench to decrease enemies faced). Also, while you avoid the negative location effect of the first Tier III location by exploring that far, arguably the actions it takes to explore that far could instead be used to deal with that effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco M
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
littlechandler wrote:
I was wondering however through your playtests if you found there is enough incentive to explore past the first Tier III location, as either way Garrok will come eventually.

I have to apologize since I have just noticed that I didn't specify before that Garrok has to be found in the Da’ Boss’s Bench location. Otherwise you could indeed play like in the delve quest.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
in the standard delve quest waiting the last boss at the (empty) first third tier location is the best tactics (and maybe the only feasible one with the new faq) we have used so far. Even with random team we keep winning it.

We have also got overrun by monsters in one of our our last games (Waywachter and Warrior Priest) but we were unlucky enough to encounter 3 black orcs in a row (really bad shuffling I would say). yuk

However last game (Warrior Priest and With Hunter) went better and we managed to kill Garrok just before the last blue peril counter of Waagh! adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad R.
msg tools
Any chance we can get a quest card or whatever they're called for this? I lack the tech abilities to make this happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco M
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Crose87421 wrote:
Any chance we can get a quest card or whatever they're called for this? I lack the tech abilities to make this happen.

Kin Assan has already been so kind to release a first version of the other quest but there are maybe a few changes I would be glad if he could implement for both the adventures. For example there is one last very small modification I was thinking about for both the adventures to further increase the replayability of the adventures.

Basically instead of getting a legendary gear when arriving to Tier III locations, the heroes will simply start with a gear capacity of 2. This will allow the players to test more combination during the game without being "stuck" with the legendary gears. We think it should work but We have still to test it although.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Alvarado

Sacramento
California
msg tools
Thanks for this! And the other one you posted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.