7 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monster movement question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Purdy
Australia
flag msg tools
So the monster movement says "the hunting horror moves 3 spaces towards the investigator within range" blah blah blah. It doesn't say "up to" it says just says "moves 3 spaces", so my question is, does it have to move 3 spaces even if the investigators are only 1-2 spaces away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
west yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no, just as far as it needs to [with the 3 spaces rule].to attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Purd wrote:
So the monster movement says "the hunting horror moves 3 spaces towards the investigator within range" blah blah blah. It doesn't say "up to" it says just says "moves 3 spaces", so my question is, does it have to move 3 spaces even if the investigators are only 1-2 spaces away?

RRG pg 18 defines "Toward" as having to decrease the distance to target with every space moved. So by that definition the monster would have to stop once it was in the same space as the investigator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
The Purd wrote:

While the rules don't seem to make this clear, the monster only moves if required.

Take a look at page 11 of the "Learn to Play" book. There the monster is told to move 2 spaces but only needs to move 1.

The closest I think the rules tell us this is on page 13 of the RR under movement. The last two bullet points only seem to apply to the investigators.

So, if the Investigators are 1 or 2 spaces away (even if they were 3 spaces away), the monster doesn't move.

The monster doesn't need to move because it has already fulfilled the requirement of being within range.

In this case, the monster stays where it is and attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Purdy
Australia
flag msg tools
Wow you guys are quick at replying! Thanks!! Ok this all makes more sense now. I think you are right about it not needing to move because it's already in range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably the monster will only move if an investigator is within range. So if the nearest investigator is either 4 spaces away or there is a door between them the monster won't move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steftymo wrote:
Presumably the monster will only move if an investigator is within range. So if the nearest investigator is either 4 spaces away or there is a door between them the monster won't move.

With that instruction, yes. Other instruction types might have the monster always move, as they will say to move towards a particular investigator (e.g., the nearest, the one with the lowest Will, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.