Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Bayes
United States
O'Fallon
MO
flag msg tools
mbmb
i love seeing the different masterminds. there seems to be a wide range and i like they vary. like its not just "this one takes 20 attack to beat while this one takes 10". as an example Iron man is really hard to fight despite him only having a 12 attack. but why cant we have different versions of masterminds? like we have sooo many spiderman and captain america heroes. why cant we have 2+ red skulls or thanoses?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
backspace8908 wrote:
why cant we have 2+ red skulls or thanoses?

Good question. The answer is that we can, but Upper Deck had chosen otherwise so far. I like the Thanos mastermind we have, personally, but I would certainly welcome a new Red Skull. Based on the rather misleading (in retrospect) solicitation for the Captain America 75th Anniversary expansion, I was hoping we would get a new Red Skull in that expansion, but we didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we have some repeat masterminds (or almost repeats). We have 2 Zemos (though they are father and son, they are similar enough persons) and 2 Iron Men (Authoritarian and Uru-Enchanted).

I totally agree with you regarding Red Skull (and also don't forget about poor Magneto). Loki is the only mastermind from the base set that I like at all, to be honest. Prior to getting Dark City, Loki was the only mastemind I used to fight (sometimes I also fought Doom but it was meh).

Kingpin could also use another version (in a Netflix Defenders small box maybe?) , and I'd love to see another Thanos, perhaps in a cosmic big box expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I'll add my voice to what's already been said--we can get repeat masterminds, but it hasn't happened yet. It makes very good sense if something big about them has changed (Doctor Doom becomes God Emperor Doom, Red Skull becomes some title that means "Red Skull has Xavier's brain"). I too use custom Masterminds for the Base Set team, and tweak a couple others in minor ways that make them less easy.

On a related topic, we do know now that things that were mere Villains can be promoted to Masterminds, as that finally happened when Civil War gave us Baron Helmut Zemo, who was a Master of Evil Villain in the Base Set. I'm looking forward to seeing Ultron and Doctor Octopus become Masterminds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Well, some of us don't like the idea very much and would rather not have it happen more than it already has.

Just like some people are hoping we get even more reprints of heroes (especially with thrown artifacts for Thor\Cap) while other people detest the idea immensely.

So basically UD has to decide which customers do they want to annoy more\less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bayes
United States
O'Fallon
MO
flag msg tools
mbmb
thats true. i think what we need is the first base game masterminds getting an upgrade. with newer sets they have become less and less difficult. which is fine if thats the kind of game you want. but if i want a good fight i still want to be able to go up against Dr.Doom.

why cant we have a mini expansion of just masterminds? i would be fine with them leading villain groups/ henchmen that we already have.

like a pack of 50 cards with 10 alternative Masterminds (or more heroes as a masterminds like in the Villains set)

1.) Loki, False King of Asgard
-he can reflect the effects of villians in the city if you try to attack him. a master strike lets him copy the strength of all the heroes in another player's hand
2.) Magneto, Leader of Asteroid M
-he can increase the power of villains from his group or make them affect all players. a master strike lets him move to the Asteroid for X turns, cant be attacked for that number of turns. X is number of master strikes that have been played
3.) Dr.Doom, Emperor of Latveria
-anytime you defent one of his tactics, take all the doom bots in the city and the tactic card. shuffle them up and pick one randomly. if its a doom bot you defeated that instead and put the tactic back. master strike means all players add a doom bot from their victory pile back into the villain deck
4.) Red Skull, Head General of Hyrda
-hydra villians need to be attacked 2 times to be defeated (destoy one head and 2 more will take its place)after the first time a hydra has been attacked flip it over but keep it on the board, only the player who defeats it the second time gets to add it to their victory pile. a master strike makes you unflip any hyrda villians in the city
5.) Kingpin, Boss of New York
-a master strike means king pin can double the cost to bribe his villians in the city (this does stack)
6.) Wolverine (leads the X-force)
-a master strike means a tactic enters the city like a villian, if it escapes wolverine requires +2 to defeat (does not stack)
7.) Black Bolt, King of the Inhumans
- a master strike causes each player to draw a wound for each empty space in the city
8.) Superior Spiderman, Protector of New York
- add the drawn master strike to the left most city space, the hero under that city space cost +2 to buy
9.) Captain America, Kid from Boston
- add this master strike to the tactics pile for this mastermind,this has 1/2 the strength to defeat as the normal tactic cards (i can keep his up all day)
10.) Cyclops (leads 1st class xmen)
-cylops needs +1 to defeat for each xmen villain in the city, a master strike makes each player take a xmen villain from their victory pile, shufffle them up and add one to the city, randomly add the rest to the villain deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ovi Matteo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am totally against. I want to explore new things, discover new characters, etc. The universe is huge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bayes
United States
O'Fallon
MO
flag msg tools
mbmb
why not both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Finnegan
msg tools
mb
Ovidutz wrote:
I am totally against. I want to explore new things, discover new characters, etc. The universe is huge.

Im mostly this. Mostly as in "Please give us harder versions of the base set masterminds." Then, you know, onward to new things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
There's a boat load of custom cards including Masterminds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsallak wrote:
I'll add my voice to what's already been said--we can get repeat masterminds, but it hasn't happened yet.

We have 2 Iron Man Masterminds

Uru-Enchanted and Authoritarian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or even just adding new tactics cards to existing Masterminds would be fun. Like, give them each a deck of 12 Tactics cards, then you randomly select 4 of them for each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Or even just adding new tactics cards to existing Masterminds would be fun. Like, give them each a deck of 12 Tactics cards, then you randomly select 4 of them for each game.

That is an awesome idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
If your main complaint is that the Basic Set Masterminds are too weenie, you should definitely check out the custom card database.

One poster simply adds 1D4* to the Attack of "weenie" Masterminds each time they get beat up. Since that's much like what Wasteland Hulk does, this turns out to be a much more powerful idea than you'd expect.

*: 1D4 means the result of the roll of a four sided die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.