12 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about "Blinking" and "Flickering" Units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What happens if a token is removed from play and then put back into play through the use of Pryn maxband ability (or any other ability). Does it come back as a unit? Or is it removed from the game like in magic?

Follow up questions,

If a unit is removed with Pryn's ability does it "arrive" again when it comes back? Does it get it's arrive ability?

What if a forcasted unit is removed with Pryn's abilty? Does it forcast when it comes back?

If unit is in the patrol zone and pryn has exactly 2 fading counters. Can she "flicker" this unit to sideline him? Or does he come back into play in the same patrol spot he was taken from?

If a unit in the patrol zone is turned into a different unit (like a squirrel) does the squirrel stay in patrol zone? Or does it arrive as a new unit out of the patrol zone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
What happens if a token is removed from play and then put back into play through the use of Pryn maxband ability (or any other ability). Does it come back as a unit? Or is it removed from the game like in magic?

Any time tokens leave play, they completely cease to exist. I don't play Magic anymore, but I suspect it's like that.

Quote:
If a unit is removed with Pryn's ability does it "arrive" again when it comes back? Does it get it's arrive ability?

Yes.

Quote:
What if a forcasted unit is removed with Pryn's abilty? Does it forcast when it comes back?

Units that are currently in forecast cannot be targeted by Prynn's ability. Units that have already arrived from the forecast, if they come back into play via any means, start out in the forecast again.

Quote:
If unit is in the patrol zone and pryn has exactly 2 fading counters. Can she "flicker" this unit to sideline him? Or does he come back into play in the same patrol spot he was taken from?

He'd be effectively sidelined.

Note also that there are errata that indicate that Prynn's midband ability would not trigger in this instance. "Dies from fading" refers to something that specifically happens when a rune is naturally lost in an Upkeep phase. If Prynn died by spending her last two fading runes, yes she'd be dead, but it wouldn't be considered "dies from fading".

Quote:
If a unit in the patrol zone is turned into a different unit (like a squirrel) does the squirrel stay in patrol zone? Or does it arrive as a new unit out of the patrol zone?

It stays in the Patrol zone. It's not a new unit; it's just been transformed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Doesn't "forcing" Pryn to run out of fading counters count as dying from fading? What if I used that tinker's ability to remove a fading counter from Pryn? That still doesn't count as fading out?

From rules:

"Fading - Arrives with X time runes. Remove one each of your upkeeps. When you remove the last, sacrifice this."

So the last sentence, doesn't that count as dying from fading regardless of how the last rune is removed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
Doesn't "forcing" Pryn to run out of fading counters count as dying from fading? What if I used that tinker's ability to remove a fading counter from Pryn? That still doesn't count as fading out?

From rules:

"Fading - Arrives with X time runes. Remove one each of your upkeeps. When you remove the last, sacrifice this."

So the last sentence, doesn't that count as dying from fading regardless of how the last rune is removed?

The rules are admittedly unclear; that's why there is errata for this case. It's correct though; using a Tinkerer to remove Prynn's last rune would kill her, but it wouldn't count as "Dying from Fading". (If this wasn't the case, her midband ability would be far too powerful).

It's best to think of a unit/hero with fading as having two things: a liability that they die when they run out of runes, and a loss of one of those runes each upkeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is this errata somewhere I can see it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
Is this errata somewhere I can see it?

Codex Rulings, from Sirlin's site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm I read all three of the fading items but none of them seem to imply that Pryn's midband doesn't trigger from her last fading counter being removed through time spiral or tinker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's on the Heroes tab, row 37.

Quote:
"Dies from fading" means that the last time rune she had was removed because the fading ability said to do that during the upkeep. It doesn't trigger if something else removed her last time rune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, Prynn's "dies from fading" is definitely the most confusing/counterintuitive ruling in the game. There are a number of other subtleties to the rules, in areas like the details of "non-active players never make any choices", and "can't leave play" effects like indestructible and Gilded Glaxx. But nothing else so much "that's not what the card says" on the level of Prynn's midband.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for that, I didn't realize there are tabs.

Hmm well I certainly thing that is counter-intuitive and not how it works in Magic... But I guess if it's explicitly errata'd that is the way it is.

Weird though... I mean "dies from fading" logically means when the last fading counter is removed. Not sure why that concept is invalidated just because the process was accelerated. A unit with forecast still acts the same if the last time rune is removed "naturally" or through a spell or ability.

Balance I guess? I have been playing this "wrong" for like 10 games and it never seemed insanely powerful to me to be able to control her death... I could just be bad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolò Ricchio
Italy
flag msg tools
is actually insanely powerful if you manage to line in up correctly with your strategies - or if you catch your opponent with a low hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.