6 Posts

Harry Potter Trading Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Main rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro de Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi everybody! I've just bought the basic set starter with two decks (Draco and Hermione) and 41 cards each to play with my 8 years old son.

But I've a main doubt: do I have to mix both decks? there are common cards but there are some kind of cards eclusive for each deck.

I mean, e.g. there are Charms lessons in Daco's deck but none in Herminone's. Do I have to mix both decks and split them in two 41 mixed decks in order to allow both player to have every kind of cards. Or each deck has its own cards and the only way to modify them by buying boosters?

And what about boosters? how many boosters should I buy in orden to have a great gaming experience? I'll only play with my son so I guess I don't need too many.
Do I buy them and distribute cards equally for both decks?
What is the maximum number of cards par deck?

Sorry for so many quetions but instruction manual wasn't clear at all and I'd like to introduce my son to this exciting world.

Thank you ery mush. Best regards guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the game comes with the decks already separated. You are correct; Draco has Charms, but Hermione does not. Hermione has Transfiguration, but Draco does not. They correspond to the spells that will be in each deck.

If you want to double check, or if they get mixed up. There are deck lists in the little rule pamphlet that will list all the cards for those two decks.

The only way to modify them is by buying boosters. Then you will build the "advanced" 60-card decks from a greater selection of cards. To be honest, I would hold off on that until your son expresses interest in a deeper game. The starter game is actually really great for young kids, and the rules are basic enough that he could pick it up with another eight year old and play.

If you would be interested in building decks yourself, well, be prepared for a minor/major obsession.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Go the Mighty Chiefs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you haven't played a trading card game (TCG)/collectable card game (CCG) before?

In this style of game, each player has their own deck. The two players play with their own decks and the cards never get mixed.

Each player can build their deck however they like, using any cards they like. Usually there are rules such as (1) no more than 4 of the same non-lesson card (2) at least 60 cards in the deck. So you have to build a deck that you think will allow you to win against your opponent (although you do not know what kind of deck he/she is building).

So a big part of the game is building your deck before you even play. This can take a long time, but some people love it. The two starter decks are just a suggestion. And I think they're smaller than a regular HPTCG deck (40 vs 60 cards).

By the way, this idea was the basis of deck building games such as Dominion, where the deck building and playing are combined into one process. I like these better that TCG/CCG games.

PS: I bought about 500 cards second hand (as well as lessons), this was enough to make a few decent decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro de Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
Thank you very much for your quick response. You're right. I've never played this kind of games beforemodest. But I've seen people playing them and I like the way they spend their long saturday sessions. And my son loves Harry Potter and It's a good way to play with him avoing videogames.
Iguess I'll buy a box with 36 boosters and give him 18 and keep 18 for myself in order to create our own deck. Would it be enough?

I'm not really sure what to do next: Do I include all those new cards to the deck adding 198 cards to it and making a 239 cards deck surprise?? make a selection to choose what 60 cards I'm going to use in that game?

Thanks again for your patience with a freshman and for your kind explanations.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro de Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
Sounds great!

Simple, direct and very clarifying response. It loks like i'm going no dare to buy more boosters and surrender in order to spend great afternoons with my kid.

Thank you again and best regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Go the Mighty Chiefs!
mbmbmbmbmb
The 40 card decks are quite good for beginners, the games are quicker. However some strategies won't be viable with a shorter game (e.g. you won't be able to get the more expensive cards into play effectively). We have been playing for 40 card decks.

The game is designed around 60 card decks. Typically you would choose two types of cards e.g. Creatures and Charms), you would have about 12 lesson cards of each type and the rest of the cards would be Creatures and Transfiguration cards. You also need one character (e.g. Hagrid).

To keep it simple, we usually don't play with the Adventure, Quidditch match, Location or additional Character cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.