BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: How can I fix Monopoly Empire to be fun? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommy Mixe
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
I only have a few board games in my house, nothing like what you guys have. Most of them aren't fun.

Monopoly Empire looks good, has good presentation, but after a while I realized it's not that deep. Not sure what I can do to make it funner

Expected player number is either 2/3, sometimes 4 but my sister always quits before we finish...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adolph Pernal
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasofhilo wrote:
I only have a few board games in my house, nothing like what you guys have. Most of them aren't fun.

Monopoly Empire looks good, has good presentation, but after a while I realized it's not that deep. Not sure what I can do to make it funner

Expected player number is either 2/3, sometimes 4 but my sister always quits before we finish...

Might I suggest Acquire or Chinatown. I can't say that Monopoly can be "fixed."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Tommy,

I think manopoly is a lost cause. Played it loads as a kid and now can't bare to play it again. (Too much time in jail!)
The family likes playing Carcassonne. I've just picked up today Imperial Settlers which looks great and has good reviews.
If sci-fi is your thing, maybe Race for the Galaxy? I think it's great!

For more inspiration click browse at the top and then click categories. Pick which genre you like. You will be shown hundreds of entry's. Click sort by rank. You can then browse what people think are the best games.

Good luck and have fun!

Regards,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel for you. The only solution I have is to put a time limit on the game and have the game actually come to a conclusion.

You can add more dice to the game. Have everyone start off with twice the money. Then play as usual other than players rolling more dice. First round everyone rolls 6 dice, pick 2. Second round, everyone rolls 5 dice, pick 2, so on and so on until everyone gets down to 2 dice. A round is determined by the lead player, so once the lead player goes around the board, the next round begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True-Neutral Shintoist
United States
Wellford
SC
flag msg tools
There are Monopoly Free Parking Mini Game and Monopoly Get Out of Jail Mini Game, but the game still gets old, adding them or not.

Thunder has good advice on the categories. I downloaded Carcassonne on the X360 when it was half off, never regretted it. I'd also recommend Rook, if you're strapped for cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing wrong with enjoying games that aren't deep. People like different things in games. Find what you like and don't feel the need to apologize.

There are too many games out there to really give you a good recommendation.

But, I'll give you this piece of advice, there are too many games out there, don't spend time 'fixing' a game. Instead, spend the time finding a game you enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How can I fix Monopoly Empire to be fun?

So I've just been reading about Monopoly Empire,

As in the original Monopoly game, players start with cash in hand, roll dice, and move a token around the game board while hoping to purchase properties. Each property is represented by one or more billboards, with the more valuable properties having larger billboards. When you purchase a property, you place a billboard into your personal plastic tower; when you pass "Go!" on the game board, you earn income based on the height of your tower. Reach a value of $800 on your tower, and you win.

and concluding you might be out of luck as to "fixing" it since it appears this game was already creating in an attempt to make original Monopoly more fun.

Let us help you seek new avenues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is actually one of the more fun versions of Monopoly, as it has a more reasonable end-condition and playing time. It still suffers from the excessive randomness though. And maybe misremembering, but I believe there was something different about the die rolling so that it wasn't merely roll and move. Maybe a slight chance to have some choice? I dunno.

I agree with the previous posters--just get a new game to introduce your friends/family to instead of trying to fix this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
Detroit metro area
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the games you do have, what do you find fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Get one of these instead:

Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
King of Tokyo
Pandemic
Catan
For Sale
Incan Gold
Splendor
Dixit
Love Letter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anything in like it you like? What are you looking for in a game?

I'm guessing accessible to new gamers, but apart from that it's all a bit vague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some versions of Monopoly have an extra die that when rolled a certain way, immediately advances you to the next un-owned property. I think later in the game it might take you to the next property period. I honestly don't remember the specifics but it helps speed things up.

Starting with double money is a good idea as well. The quicker properties are built up, the faster the game goes.

Also, you can just cut your loses and buy Lords of Vegas, which is what Monopoly wants to be when it grows up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.