Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been struggling with year seven for quite a few games, but after sleeping on things last night, I've come up with a strategy that appears to be working. I won my first year seven game this morning and I am currently in the middle of another game that looks very promising. But the thing is, the strategy feels somewhat unthematic. The basic idea is to use weak villains to bottleneck stronger villains from appearing. More specific than that, if you have three weak villains on the board, it makes sense to just let them sit there while you... take care of other things. If I don't want to attack, it is already clear from the rules that I am not obligated to play the card. However, many cards that generate attack also heal or remove control tokens. I need to use these secondary effect for this strategy to work, but they then generate attack tokens that I don't want to assign. Defeating a weak villain risks putting a more powerful villain on the board and makes it harder to control the bottleneck. The rule book says that you "may" assign attacks to villains, but "may" can be an ambiguous term. In some cases "may" means something is optional, but in some cases it means something is permissible. I'm not entirely sure if I am bending the letter of rules in a way that breaks the spirit of the game design. So thus the question....

If you can allocate an attack token, are you required to do so, or are you allowed to throw attacks away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
My interpretation is that you have the option. I admit I've never considered leaving the weak villains intentionally, although they usually do stick around until the end (let's face it, everything is more threatening than Crabbe and Goyle). Then again I can't really think of a situation when I saw three weak villains at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kendl
United States
Hartford
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the same strategy. I imagine you can save them from turn to turn because there's a spot to do that on the player board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeOP wrote:
I use the same strategy. I imagine you can save them from turn to turn because there's a spot to do that on the player board.

The rules clearly state that you must discard all left-over attacks and influence at the end of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darwins_Dog wrote:
(let's face it, everything is more threatening than Crabbe and Goyle). Then again I can't really think of a situation when I saw three weak villains at the same time.

No...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Depending on what point in the game you are, Dolores is tamer than Crabbe/Goyle. Once you are happy with your deck build, you will rarely trigger her ability. Lucius doesn't actually attack you, so his ability is quite tame as long as you are still in your first location. (In an odd sort of way, he can actually help you. Some abilities require spending attack as triggers, so if you want to spend attack tokens without defeating a villain, he resets the board for you.) Death Eaters have an annoying bite, but they only trigger three times per cycle of the Dark Arts deck while Crabbe/Goyle can be triggered seven times per cycle, so a damage basis Death Eaters actually hurt you less. Quirrell is admittedly worse than Crabbe/Goyle, but once you have a healing built up in your decks, he's really not worth worrying about.

GeorgeOP wrote:
I imagine you can save them from turn to turn because there's a spot to do that on the player board.

No. Read instruction five on page 10 of your manual. Any unused attack tokens are discarded during step four. The purpose of that spot on the player board is to store attack tokens earned during other players' turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a TL : DR for the thread:
you DO NOT have to use all your attack
BUT
you lose it at the end of your turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kendl
United States
Hartford
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
GeorgeOP wrote:

The rules clearly state that you must discard all left-over attacks and influence at the end of your turn.
Thanks for the clarification. I was playing someone else's copy from Gen Con and didn't read the rules myself. That nullifies our victory so we'll just have to start a "campaign" over again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.