Subject: Dear Mr. Yager - Yig seems to work different in german version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac TheMacster
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
Hello there!

The Yig Card in the german version says (translated): From now on you need an additional card of the same city to close a gate.

You said in an other posting, that Yig demands an additional card of an connected (other!) city - 5+1 with different color.

Now I'm a little confused about balancing and correct way to play. Pandemic tends to be a game where every little option can lead to victory or loose the game.

Weird enough is the fact that in the english version "connected" COULD mean the same: An additional card of the same city CONNECTED to the corresponding gate.

You now have the gentle opportunity to settle this once and for all versions with just one answer from you

And then one more important question: What about the detective? Does he need 5 cards of the same color - or 4 cards +1 different (connected color)?

This whole "what does connected mean" discussion seems way to complicated, I can't believe this was intended...

What if all german players (Essen is coming...) play it the 6 same color way - does it break the balance, making the game too hard or too easy?

In my humble opinion "connected" should mean: Gate connected to the same city/color - but what with the detective? Is he always closing a gate with just 4 cards or does yig give him one more, so that everybody needs 6 and the detective is now on 5?

Please clarify this for me and all german players - this game is a dream come true, I feel that the theme is even better than the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles de Rais
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the English manual:

"To seal a Gate, players must now discard 1 card from a connected town in addition to the regular number of cards.

The Detective's special abilities cannot apply to this extra card, but the Mi-go Eye Relic card can."

Seems the German manual is wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac TheMacster
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
Ravazul wrote:
From the English manual:

"To seal a Gate, players must now discard 1 card from a connected town in addition to the regular number of cards.

The Detective's special abilities cannot apply to this extra card, but the Mi-go Eye Relic card can."

Seems the German manual is wrong.

I'm freaking out about the german translation.

Maybe you can provide me with the original text from the mi-go eye card (artifact) as well?

In the german translation it's perfectly unclear if the card is only for the player that actually played the card or includes all players - as long as it's not triggered.

Meaning: Does it work for every player till the next gate is closed, or just for the player that played the card by himself and when he's closing a gate?

This is all about unnecessary action spending in the german rules!!

Big thumbs down for the messy translation...

I hope a german errata and/or FAQ will be out before Essen shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles de Rais
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mi-go Eye:

When Yig is in play, the Clue card reduction from Mi-go Eye may be applied to the connected town card.

Relic cards can be played at any time by anyone (except if Yog-Sothoth is awake), don't cost an action, btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac TheMacster
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
Ravazul wrote:
Mi-go Eye:

When Yig is in play, the Clue card reduction from Mi-go Eye may be applied to the connected town card.

Relic cards can be played at any time by anyone (except if Yog-Sothoth is awake), don't cost an action, btw.

Sorry, but you misunderstood my question. I've meant the actual text on the english card, not the fine point from the manual.

You seem to own the game in english?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles de Rais
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card says: "The next gate requires one fewer Clue card to seal it. Put this card next to the Player discard pile and discard it when the next gate is sealed."

I do own the English version, great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac TheMacster
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
Ravazul wrote:
The card says: "The next gate requires one fewer Clue card to seal it. Put this card next to the Player discard pile and discard it when the next gate is sealed."

I do own the English version, great game.

Thank you for your nice help!

So the mi-go eye works for every player, you don't have to spend actions for travel and giving it to someone else...

They should print revised rules. The german version is broken with this translation cry

Does somebody know if there is an english card list with all texts - for german players who actually wanting to play the game? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Eichwald
msg tools
You are totaly right. The german rulebook needs a big errata! Were are much real unclear points:

1. What happen to the cultists after a summuning ritual?
2. The effect of Yig.

And a last question, witch is very interessting for me because I love the game:

3. Is there a plan to release Extensions for the Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles de Rais
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The 3 cultists stay where they are.

2. See above, my German is not good enough to translate

3. No idea, but plenty of possibilities for extensions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac TheMacster
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
Bunkerbewohner wrote:
You are totaly right. The german rulebook needs a big errata! Were are much real unclear points:

1. What happen to the cultists after a summuning ritual?
2. The effect of Yig.

And a last question, witch is very interessting for me because I love the game:

3. Is there a plan to release Extensions for the Game?

Dann hoffen wir mal, dass Yager sich meldet. Ich würde mich ärgern wenn irgendein Übersetzer von Asmodee im Ausland den Sinn und die Regeln meines Spiels kaputt macht. Asmodee hat sich da scheinbar den Hausmeister geschnappt und gesagt: Mach mal...!

Sorry Folks,

Just bitchin about the so called "german translation". Hopefully Yager shows up, clarifies some points and forces asmodee (or let his publisher force them...) to print new rules and a few new relic cards with a plain and easy translation - even my goldfish could do it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

First, sorry for the delay in responding. Please know that I did send this thread to my contacts at Z-Man Games and they are looking into the German issues.

For your Yig questions, you do need a connected town card in addition to the five colored cards of the town you are closing the gate to. So, for example, you would need 6 cards to close Dunwich if Yig was present...5 Dunwich (yellow) cards + 1 card from either Arkham (green) or Kingsport (red) since they are the connected towns to Dunwich.

If you have the Detective and he is the one trying to close Dunwich, he would need 1 fewer Dunwich (yellow).

If you had the Mi-Go Eye relic, it would work the same way and can be used by anyone holding it.

I can't speak officially to expansions just yet, but it's something I would love to see happen as well.

Not sure I caught your questions regarding the cultists after a Summoning ritual. What were you unclear on there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac TheMacster
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
kaatmal wrote:
Hi all,

First, sorry for the delay in responding. Please know that I did send this thread to my contacts at Z-Man Games and they are looking into the German issues.

For your Yig questions, you do need a connected town card in addition to the five colored cards of the town you are closing the gate to. So, for example, you would need 6 cards to close Dunwich if Yig was present...5 Dunwich (yellow) cards + 1 card from either Arkham (green) or Kingsport (red) since they are the connected towns to Dunwich.

If you have the Detective and he is the one trying to close Dunwich, he would need 1 fewer Dunwich (yellow).

If you had the Mi-Go Eye relic, it would work the same way and can be used by anyone holding it.

I can't speak officially to expansions just yet, but it's something I would love to see happen as well.

Not sure I caught your questions regarding the cultists after a Summoning ritual. What were you unclear on there?

Thank you for your help and efforts contacting Z-Man games - so nice of you! I think Asmodee.de is responsible for the german version, so I hope your contacts can do something good for us players.

The question about the mi-go eye relic was about the horrible german translation: It seems (in the english version) that EVERYONE can use this relic once cast and paid with a dice roll by the caster - right? The next gate closed by ANY player makes use of it - regardless of whom?

Some german cards (and the rulebook of course...) were translated by the late working "itsa meee mario" janitor of the german publisher, leaving this question (and many more) very unclear - must be a shame to see your "baby" messed up by some wannabe translator.

The real awkwardness is, that this happens WAY TOO OFTEN here in germany in the last few years (Yes PEGASUS, that's exactly what I'm talking about: YOU.)

Furthermore I think the "three cultist" question is answered. I think some Pandemic veterans here thought that they would be removed after an awakening. No. They're getting ready for the next ritual devil

For me a good board- or cardgame is like a piece of art. And a bad translation is just fast greedy moneymaking that destroys this art in the sense of the artist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see. Yes, truly sorry about any translation issues you've encountered. I have no doubt Asmodee/Z-Man will see to fixing it in the future.

As for your Mi-Go Eye question in the last post, yes, you are correct. As long as the person using the Relic card rolls the sanity die, then the next person to close a gate by any player would make use of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac TheMacster
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
kaatmal wrote:
Ah, I see. Yes, truly sorry about any translation issues you've encountered. I have no doubt Asmodee/Z-Man will see to fixing it in the future.

As for your Mi-Go Eye question in the last post, yes, you are correct. As long as the person using the Relic card rolls the sanity die, then the next person to close a gate by any player would make use of it.

Thank you again

And exactly this is what I mean with some situations ingame regarding the german version: With the correct rules - you don't need to spend valuable actions to meet other detectives and to give this relic to someone else. All you need is to talk and just do it. And this is only ONE example of the horrible translation.

And Yig? Completely broken. I'm thinking about all those poor Essen fanboys with their new copies (yes cthulhu AND pandemic fans are numerous in Essen) and their faces when they discover the truth about the translation. Absolute nogo.

By the way (next messy translation question coming up...) - is it possible for the occultist to move a cultist in an area (town) sealed by an elder sign? The rules say no new cultists - but do moved cultists count as "new" ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
McPain wrote:

By the way (next messy translation question coming up...) - is it possible for the occultist to move a cultist in an area (town) sealed by an elder sign? The rules say no new cultists - but do moved cultists count as "new" ones?

To "move" a cultist is not the same as to "spawn/place" a cultist, so the answer to your (first) question is yes, the occultist may still move cultists into elder sign territory. See also the designer's comment on this question.

By the way, the confusion this obviously caused to you has nothing to do with the quality of the translation. It's just a point that's not explicitly mentioned in the rules, neither English nor German.

I think you actually exaggerate with your complaints about the German translation. Among the points you mentioned and questions you asked, there were exactly two things that actually got messed up in the German version of the game: the Mi-Go Eye Relic (where the translator should have opted for the passive form; but still I think the meaning becomes obvious once you resolve the card) and Yig's ability. The latter, as you admitted yourself, could be translated in two ways - I guess the translator should have double checked with the designer in this case. Your other questions/concerns about the detective's special ability, the occultist moving cultists, the removal of cultists after a ritual, etc., aren't answered any more clearly in the English rules: they are just points that aren't mentioned explicitly (and in most cases rightly so).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry, but McPain is right... unfortunately. The translation is bad and something like this happens too often. Ok, maybe games get more complex, but there is also a wrong perception by publishers.

Actually, we stumbled over a trap in the German version with the very first card we saw in our first game. The elder sign! It is translated insanely. It just states that you choose a city and turn the according marker (which are actually on the board in the very beginning) to the elder sign and noone can spawn there any more. WHAT? We looked at each other... ok? The rules are clear, so we used the artefact. So, in the very first round, Arkham was safe. The game was very easy then. Of course, we tried a second time... again the elder sign. Everyone at the end agreed that it is a stupid game. I was sad.

The English Version of the card is VERY explicit. You can only use the artefact, if the gate has already been sealed! What happened to the translation? Why the hell?

As a Cthulhu fan, it basically was clear to me that using the card as we did is stupid. But noone of us had an argument. We just did what was written there! I also have to say that I usually prevent doing further research during gaming. This is definitely stopping all the fun of a gaming night. I realized that it MUST be wrong after watching a German review video today. The group had exactly the same finding! And what do I see when looking on the English version? It's clearly stated on the card how to use it!!! Just omitted in the German version.

The second time an Asmodee translation was ruining our gaming night. The first time with Blood Rage by the way. We argued about a battle card. The reason: on a German card a simple, but clarifying sentence has been omitted. I told them in an e-mail (had other problems with the game), but the simple answer was, that the German sentences had been too long for the card, so they skipped the clarification. Wow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, I just browsed to the Asmodee pages and found a FAQ, which was published this week already. It adresses all issues mentioned so far.

http://de.asmodee.com/ressources/bonus/faq-pandemic.pdf

First of all, thanks Asmodee. Good job! Making such a high quality FAQ is nice... and necessary

However, the point is that most content of the FAQ (Klarstellungen!) is due to the translation. I really expect more quality... really! Gaming shall stay fun, not frustration! Errors happen, but please not such an amount. I really had bad luck with your recent games (and not because of the games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
geek_1 wrote:
Sorry, but McPain is right... unfortunately. The translation is bad and something like this happens too often. Ok, maybe games get more complex, but there is also a wrong perception by publishers.

Actually, we stumbled over a trap in the German version with the very first card we saw in our first game. The elder sign! It is translated insanely. It just states that you choose a city and turn the according marker (which are actually on the board in the very beginning) to the elder sign and noone can spawn there any more. WHAT? We looked at each other... ok? The rules are clear, so we used the artefact. So, in the very first round, Arkham was safe. The game was very easy then. Of course, we tried a second time... again the elder sign. Everyone at the end agreed that it is a stupid game. I was sad.

The English Version of the card is VERY explicit. You can only use the artefact, if the gate has already been sealed! What happened to the translation? Why the hell?

As a Cthulhu fan, it basically was clear to me that using the card as we did is stupid. But noone of us had an argument. We just did what was written there! I also have to say that I usually prevent doing further research during gaming. This is definitely stopping all the fun of a gaming night. I realized that it MUST be wrong after watching a German review video today. The group had exactly the same finding! And what do I see when looking on the English version? It's clearly stated on the card how to use it!!! Just omitted in the German version.

The second time an Asmodee translation was ruining our gaming night. The first time with Blood Rage by the way. We argued about a battle card. The reason: on a German card a simple, but clarifying sentence has been omitted. I told them in an e-mail (had other problems with the game), but the simple answer was, that the German sentences had been too long for the card, so they skipped the clarification. Wow?

I know your feel, bro! I tought Brazilian version was the worst translation ever, but you germans win by close.

It sucks a lot to see such a wonderful game be ruined by some non-sense wanna be translators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.