Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are good reasons that this game is suggested as one of the first games you should try with your new Decktet. As a Solitaire game, you don't need an opponent. It uses almost all the different aspects (i.e. markings) of the Decktet, which there is a lot of compared to most cards. And it is a good challenge.

These traits should hold your interest. The creative, multi-faceted problem solving of this game is a little overwhelming, but only for the first game. After that, you should be able to discern the patterns on the table a little more readily. You'll be able to sort through the visual noise of the multiple types of information on each card, and focus on what you need. By the third game, you'll be thinking about strategy. The games are pretty quick, so knocking through three games won't take you very long.

Then, your in the meat of the game. Which personality do you try to control first? Which ones can you leave alone, confident that you'll be able to take care of them later. Those pesky low value members of the Palace, suddenly become the way to get rid of your low value resources that are cluttering up your Resource row . . . These high value, but single suited Crowns get sacrificed for the slightly less valuable but more adaptable 8's and 9's

My first several games, I could NOT get the Huntress. In my mind I renamed the game "Hunting the Huntress", because of the difficulties in getting ten Moons together. The Decktet comes with reference cards, one of which is a list of the Personalities you are trying to control in Adaman. I suggest you play a couple of games with that reference card handy, and maybe some scratch paper to put a check list on. Soon you will begin to see which Resources are more valuable, when you can stop worrying about conserving them, when you can spend them for the less powerful, but still necessary Wyrms and Knots.

The artwork on the Decktet is stylized, and very good. A lot of the twin image cards have slight variations in the two halves, worth looking for, as they often support the theme of the card title.

Most of the Decktet's structure is symmetrical, except for the suit markings, which are doubled on most of the cards. But the pairs are not evenly distributed. This will make some people crazy, but in the long run makes for MUCH more interesting game play.

I purchased a double Decktet with the Firmament back, which is gorgeous. The coloring of both the faces, which follows a suit palette, and the backs, which covers the whole rainbow spectrum, is beautiful and detailed. The cards are split into Personalities, Events, and Locations, and I can not wait to try some of the games that use ALL of those categories. (Looking at you, Fractured Atlas and Dectana).

The Decktet is worth the time it takes to be familiar with it. The game possibilities are interesting, challenging, beautiful and fun, and Adaman is probably the fastest way to learn this unfamiliar deck system.

As posted else where, there is a desktop and Android app for this game. While that is an excellent way to "try before you buy", and I do suggest you do, I strongly recommend ordering your own Decktet so you can continue your exploration of this pantheon of gaming. I chose the word "Pantheon" on purpose, this deck has it's own mythology, which adds to the thematic play.

Order yourself a Decktet, then get the app, play on your phone while you wait for that all important "Delivered" text, and plunge into this extremely enjoyable world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind review. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.