Popular Tags: [View All]
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

Just got the set today, and have a quick question. Apologies if I'm jumping the gun by simply misreading the cards.

So, it's Starfire's turn, and I want to be able to activate her ability to get rid of a pesky Weakness card in my hand.

Only problem, I'm one card type short.

BUT...shapeshift is one of the cards I've played, and I've got Cadmus Labs in play as well....and since Shapeshift counts as ALL card types, I can use Cadmus Labs to put Shapeshift back in my hand and re-play it...

BUT (again)...while I THINK I get that how that works, in that Shapeshift would give me another +1 power, and that the first +1 power it granted me when I played it the first time is still pooled and ready to be spent, when I try to add up if I have FOUR card types in my CONTROL, that shapeshift card, even though it was played twice, is still only THERE on the table ONCE, meaning I'm still just one card type shy of one I need to activate Starfire's ability.

I find Cadmus Labs an odd card...why not just say it makes a card count twice instead of making you put it back into your hand...seems like an odd way of phrasing it.

Thanks for all the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
So some clarification first:

- The Over-sized Starfire character reads "Once during each of your turns, if you control four different card types, you may destroy a card you control."

- Shapeshift has the specific text of "This card has all card names and is also a Hero, Villain, and equipment while you own it." The "also" implies that Shapeshift is a Super Power (since it actually is a Super Power under normal conditions), a Hero, a Villain, and an Equipment thus fulfilling the 4 card type requirement for Starefire.

- Cadmus Labs is a Location which is another card type so don't forget to include that in your type counts during other turns.

- The reason Cadmus Labs wants you to pick up the card is so it does not make it easier/confusing when you to complete or gain benefit from effects that look at the number of cards you control. It's confusing to say "count twice" when counting up the cards you control since that language is vague. The way it is written removes that ambiguity.

I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some clarification on the game situation that created this question,

the cards that have been played are three punch cards, and shape shift (I'm still holding a weakness in my hand...that's the card I want to destroy with Starfire's ability...and yes, I would play the weakness to the table so that it would be "in control" before I destroy it).

As you've pointed out, I've got Cadmus Labs in control as well.

So, that means I've only got three card types in play...Starters, Location, and then Shapeshift, which (I assumed) has to be ONE thing, whatever I'd choose it to be.

So does this mean just one shapeshift be everything I want it to be, several times over in one play, to get it to fulfill TWO card types?

EDIT: I went back and looked at the card and...maybe it's looking at in the light of day, but it clearly says it counts as all three, which I guess means all at once. For whatever reason I thought you had to pick ONE of whatever you wanted to to be when it's used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yib-Yab wrote:
EDIT: I went back and looked at the card and...maybe it's looking at in the light of day, but it clearly says it counts as all three, which I guess means all at once. For whatever reason I thought you had to pick ONE of whatever you wanted to to be when it's used.

Correct. Starfire(TT) can trigger her ability with just Shapeshift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yib-Yab wrote:
Hi everyone!

I find Cadmus Labs an odd card...

I just want to add that there is some shenanigans you can pull off with having the card return to your hand.

Discarding the returned card with Beast Boy, for his effect is the obvious one that comes to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.