The Others» Forums » Rules

Subject: Expansion upgrade cards: which to use when? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
How do you decide which expansion upgrades to use? As FAITH can I pick which? Do I use all I own? Ones for my team? There's no guidance or rules about it anywhere that I can see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuffle them all into the deck and use them as the rules tell you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
We shuffled all of one expansion's upgrade cards in and it was generally agreed by the FAITH players at the table that the expansion cards weren't as useful as the base ones, and they wanted to not use some or all of them.

Because of that, I want to understand the designer's intent with which cards to use. Should FAITH use all they have access to? Can they pick this expansion but not those two? Can they pick this card from this expansion but not the rest?

So far as I could tell, there was no guidance or rule or general statement of intent with regard to which expansion cards to shuffle in and when. (If I use a character from gamma do I get access to some must I use all? If I don't use any from beta can I pretend that those upgrade cards don't exist?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian D
United States
Liberty Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rules say shuffle them all together. We do leave out the apocalypse cards because they do seem overpowered. It is your game, so whatever makes it fun for your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I'd agree, the apocalypse cards are more powerful. I think if your group is having trouble with the heroes constantly losing, than shuffle those in, otherwise I'd leave them out, and use then when you play the apocalypse story.

I'd probably shuffle them all together after the first game. Some of them require a little more understanding of the strategies of the game. The ones in the base box are all pretty straightforward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.