Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Ford
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Poll
Generally speaking, do you have positive or negative feelings towards the following wargame publishers, with 1 being the most negative and 7 being the most positive? If you have no opinion about a particular publisher, please choose "No Opinion."
  No Opinion 1 Very Negative 2 Negative 3 Somewhat Negative 4 Neutral 5 Somewhat Positive 6 Positive 7 Very Positive Vote Count
Avalanche Press 28.0% (89) 10.4% (33) 17.6% (56) 16.0% (51) 15.1% (48) 8.5% (27) 4.1% (13) 0.3% (1) 318
Clash of Arms 28.9% (92) 0.6% (2) 0.9% (3) 5.7% (18) 15.7% (50) 20.1% (64) 20.4% (65) 7.5% (24) 318
Columbia Games 19.5% (64) 0.0% (0) 2.1% (7) 6.7% (22) 19.5% (64) 26.5% (87) 20.4% (67) 5.2% (17) 328
Compass Games 13.5% (43) 0.0% (0) 1.9% (6) 2.8% (9) 12.9% (41) 20.1% (64) 32.1% (102) 16.7% (53) 318
Dan Verssen Games 23.8% (77) 0.9% (3) 5.3% (17) 10.2% (33) 23.2% (75) 20.4% (66) 13.6% (44) 2.5% (8) 323
Decision Games 12.1% (39) 8.4% (27) 14.0% (45) 18.1% (58) 17.8% (57) 17.8% (57) 10.6% (34) 1.2% (4) 321
GMT 0.6% (2) 0.3% (1) 0.9% (3) 2.0% (7) 2.0% (7) 5.6% (19) 29.2% (100) 59.4% (203) 342
Hexasim 37.5% (119) 0.9% (3) 0.9% (3) 0.6% (2) 12.6% (40) 12.3% (39) 23.7% (75) 11.4% (36) 317
Legion Wargames 28.0% (89) 0.3% (1) 0.3% (1) 0.9% (3) 11.6% (37) 18.2% (58) 20.8% (66) 19.8% (63) 318
Lock'n Load Publishing 26.5% (84) 0.9% (3) 6.3% (20) 8.5% (27) 22.7% (72) 21.1% (67) 10.1% (32) 3.8% (12) 317
Multi-Man Publishing 5.5% (18) 0.9% (3) 0.9% (3) 4.9% (16) 8.8% (29) 19.2% (63) 30.8% (101) 29.0% (95) 328
One Small Step Games 48.7% (152) 2.6% (8) 2.2% (7) 3.5% (11) 24.0% (75) 11.2% (35) 5.4% (17) 2.2% (7) 312
Operational Studies Group 46.0% (143) 0.3% (1) 0.3% (1) 3.2% (10) 19.9% (62) 15.1% (47) 10.0% (31) 5.1% (16) 311
Revolution Games 41.6% (132) 0.0% (0) 0.3% (1) 1.3% (4) 15.8% (50) 11.7% (37) 14.2% (45) 15.1% (48) 317
Turning Point Simulations 55.7% (172) 1.3% (4) 3.2% (10) 3.6% (11) 24.3% (75) 8.1% (25) 3.6% (11) 0.3% (1) 309
VentoNuovo Games 61.4% (191) 0.0% (0) 1.3% (4) 1.0% (3) 20.9% (65) 7.4% (23) 5.1% (16) 2.9% (9) 311
Victory Point Games 17.7% (58) 2.8% (9) 4.9% (16) 6.7% (22) 16.8% (55) 24.5% (80) 20.5% (67) 6.1% (20) 327
White Dog Games 56.5% (177) 0.3% (1) 1.6% (5) 3.5% (11) 21.7% (68) 10.9% (34) 3.8% (12) 1.6% (5) 313
Worthington Publishing 24.0% (78) 1.5% (5) 2.5% (8) 8.6% (28) 22.5% (73) 22.2% (72) 14.8% (48) 4.0% (13) 325
Total Voters 345
This poll is now closed.   345 answers
Poll created by Crito
Closes: Wed Nov 2, 2016 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Anderson
Canada
Carseland
flag msg tools
If Academy Games was listed I would of given them a very positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
anderson wrote:
If Academy Games was listed I would of given them a very positive.

Likewise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
As I suspected Compass games solidly in the positive part of the scale. I think they've shown marked improvement over the last year or two in the number of games produced, the quality of the games, and in graphics/presentation of their product.

I'm pretty close to wanting as many of the games they've been producing as I do games by GMT.

I've had limited exposure to Hexasim, but if Fallen Eagles is representative of their game catalog they'll certainly catch my eye on future games they produce if the subject interest me.

Interesting poll by the way! It looks like a number of companies are finding difficulty in reaching a broader audience given the large number of no-opinion votes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT remains my favorite but Compass is now right there with them in my book. I've been highly impressed with the Compass products I've bought so far and they appear to have a bright future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Huh, as the one "negative" on Compass so far, my reason has nothing to do with their games--I don't think I have any--but on how they treated one of my favorite designers.

My two "very positive" are Columbia--their titles are the ones I keep playing over & over, year after year--and VPG. Not everything I've gotten from VPG has been a winner, but some of their games have been great. And the differences between their version of No Retreat! and GMT's pretty well captures my feelings about wargames: a clear, correct rulebook is more important to me than pretty components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vins baudet
Spain
Valencia/Castiello de Jaca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Huh, as the one "negative" on Compass so far, my reason has nothing to do with their games--I don't think I have any--but on how they treated one of my favorite designers.

Please, could you tell me more about that, I think I missed it.
Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

My only experience with Compass is Enemy Action: Ardennes, which I found to be a great game, with a well-written clear rulebook (a few inevitable glitches, but it has 3 rulebooks each with like 64 pages, so not surprising, and often John Butterfield or some playtester/developer helps answer questions in the forums). The customer service sending replacement counters to many people (due to counter printing/cutting problems) was fast and courteous.

Quote:
My two "very positive" are Columbia--their titles are the ones I keep playing over & over, year after year--and VPG.

I like Columbia a lot too, but I really wish they would be better about fixing the rules problems in some games. Many of the games are "nearly great" but have some lingering important rules holes which get discussed in forums for years with no clear resolution and usually little official support from the publisher. (E.g. how the hell do the "out of supply" rules work in Victory?) But Julius Caesar alone is enough to make me like Columbia a lot.

Quote:
Not everything I've gotten from VPG has been a winner, but some of their games have been great. And the differences between their version of No Retreat! and GMT's pretty well captures my feelings about wargames: a clear, correct rulebook is more important to me than pretty components.

I like VPG a lot too; very good clear rules (usually with good forum support), good fun games generally. I only wish they could figure out a way to make good quality counters: the old ones used to constantly shed little strips of paper from the edges, and the new laser-cut ones are a real PITA to clean off all the burned soot and have a smoky smell, and surprisingly often the alignment in the cutting is a bit off. :/ But yeah, a lot of good addictive games from VPG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
vins wrote:
Please, could you tell me more about that, I think I missed it.

No, I was just saying that my "negative" has nothing to do with the games they did publish. I will be happy to talk more about why I like Columbia or VPG, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
russ wrote:
I like VPG a lot too; very good clear rules (usually with good forum support), good fun games generally. I only wish they could figure out a way to make good quality counters: the old ones used to constantly shed little strips of paper from the edges,
Any way to salvage those? I'm guessing it involves nail clippers and lots of precision. My Battle for Moscow (2nd ed.) looks a bit sad, is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
junkers wrote:
russ wrote:
I like VPG a lot too; very good clear rules (usually with good forum support), good fun games generally. I only wish they could figure out a way to make good quality counters: the old ones used to constantly shed little strips of paper from the edges,
Any way to salvage those? I'm guessing it involves nail clippers and lots of precision. My Battle for Moscow (2nd ed.) looks a bit sad, is all.

Play the game, handling the counters, and eventually the little paper strips are almost all gone, i.e. already almost all fallen off.

I used my Oregon Laminations counter clipper on VPG counters successfully for the corners as usual.

Occasionally I used scissors to trim off a strip on sides where one layer of a counter was misaligned with another layer, to even up the edges (a process needed only on these older VPG counters, not most companies' counters).

Despite that, I still often prefer their old counters to the newer laser-cut counters, since the latter are so unpleasant to punch and clean up (wiping off all that soot is a PITA and takes a while, longer than clipping counters!) and they are smoky-smelly for a while, and with literally brown slightly burned edges sometimes visible on the printed surfaces.

(Of course ultimately the play's the thing, and I have a lot of VPG games I enjoy playing frequently, both old-style and new-style counters...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Missing Hollandspiele.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Missing Hollandspiele.

True, but being a brand new company, I'd suspect that no more than a handful of folks have any experience with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Consim Press would be a positive for me if listed.

Decision Games in the positive category ?

Not for me substandard production and rules writing across the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
DownriverRick wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:
Missing Hollandspiele.

True, but being a brand new company, I'd suspect that no more than a handful of folks have any experience with them.

Very positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geoff999rugby wrote:

Decision Games in the positive category ?

Not for me substandard production and rules writing across the board.

I gave them a '6' based on D-Day at Omaha Beach and D-Day at Tarawa only. The counters are a bit of a pain, but I have no problem with the rules, maps and player aids, and in any event, gameplay outweighs components (see older VPG print on demand titles). DDaOB is consistently rated as one of the top 5 solitaire wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
DownriverRick wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:
Missing Hollandspiele.

Very positive.

Not disagreeing. Their presence in these forums, the willingness they showed in getting resources to you for The Scheldt Campaign Vassal module, and the positive reactions to their games from the folks who have them are all very positive. These are the very reasons that led me to place an order with them just the other day.

My only point was that being new, they have yet to establish a track record with a lot of folks. So far, they look like they are moving in a good direction and I am looking forward to seeing where they take it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ron the D-day games are very good but based upon the fact they are 3 games out of hundreds then overall are substantially in the negative column for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
flag msg tools
designer
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
....I'd suspect that no more than a handful of folks have any experience with them.

Seems to be true of a lot of the companies listed. 14 of 19 listed have "no opinion" as the majority answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Bolger
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I discovered VentoNuovo this year, through their title "Moscow '41," which they put on Kickstarter.

Greatly, greatly enjoy it-- just played a session this weekend. I'm a bit disappointed it's prohibitively expensive to get their other titles stateside at the moment (damn you, international shipping costs!) or I'd gladly buy more, but that's hardly the fault of the firm.

I'd rate LNL higher, but their post-shuffle management has been wildly inconsistent about keeping their tabletop product lines up to date. They release a lot of teasers without timelines, and have many products still on the site that have either been out of stock or pre-order only for a considerable amount of time. I do like their products... when they're available. I have similar thoughts about another couple of firms up there.

GMT earns the top slot, though. Great company, great customer service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hedererp wrote:
Quote:
....I'd suspect that no more than a handful of folks have any experience with them.

Seems to be true of a lot of the companies listed. 14 of 19 listed have "no opinion" as the majority answer.

Depends on how you count them. Based on Total Votes, not individual categories, there are only three companies that have No Opinion as the majority (Turning Point, VentoNuovo Games, and White Dog Games) as of this writing. Since seven of the eight categories infer some sort of opinion, those categories, individually, may not have as many votes as No Opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond GMT getting the expected pride of place, there's clearly a lot of love for Compass, Legion, and Revolution among the people that know them. I'd bet the very few negative votes for Hexasim have to do with the muddle of the first-edition rulebook of Napoleon against Europe.

I'm more surprised by the amount of ambivalence for COA and OSG reflected here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
DiamondSylph wrote:
Beyond GMT getting the expected pride of place, there's clearly a lot of love for Compass, Legion, and Revolution among the people that know them. I'd bet the very few negative votes for Hexasim have to do with the muddle of the first-edition rulebook of Napoleon against Europe.

Some of negativity around Hexasim I believe will be because of their sub standard packaging which a number have suffered from.

As for COA the, often, poorly written rules is probably the reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosecrans man
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiamondSylph wrote:

Yeah, that surprised me a bit, too, especially the rating given to COA. They use make a fairly solid product, especially their BAR series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Wilson
United States
Wilmette
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with regard to Consim Press--love both of the sub games!

As for Decision Games, I'm not sure they are really substandard across the board. I will say that I only rated them somewhat positive and that was simply because of the breadth of their subject matter. Their Reconquista game wasn't shabby and they handle almost as many little obscure conflicts as XTR used to cover (Lion of Ethiopia anyone?]. Outside of Decision, I don't think you would have that First Battle of Britain: The Air War over England: 1917-18 game (not the first published, the one in the war before the usual 1940 BoB we think of) They don't get as much playtesting as they should because of the aggressive publishing schedule, but they offer a wide variety on a regular basis.

Oh, well. Maybe it's because I'm more of a dabbler than a good gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.