16 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Updating Mountain Strips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Meiklejohn
msg tools
Rules, page 11 wrote:
• In this phase, remove the leftmost building resource (i.e. closest to the arrow) from each face-up mountain strip and return it to the general supply.

If all spaces but the last “2 silver” space are empty, remove the two silver and the entire mountain strip.

As far as I can tell there are two reasonable interpretations of the rule above:

A) That the second paragraph is an additional, follow-up instruction: if, after removing a resource (e.g. Ore), the only one left is the last "2 silver", you also remove it and the Mountain Strip:

i.e. 'If all spaces but the last "2 silver" are then empty, also remove the two silver and the entire mountain strip'. (This was the way MiWi played in his excellent walkthrough video)

B) That it is just a slightly clumsy way of saying that once you empty the Mountain Strip (by removing the final "2 silver") you also remove the Mountain Strip:

i.e. 'If all spaces but the last “2 silver” space are empty at the start of the phase, remove the two silver and the entire mountain strip'.

I'm pretty sure interpretation B is right for a few reasons, not least because the format in the rulebook places no emphasis on the second paragraph with bullet points as it does in the rest of the section but it'd be good to hear others thoughts and perhaps get an official response! Putting the German rules through Google translate also seems to support this interpretation more:

Quote:
Take the leftmost building material (which is closest to the arrow shown) in this phase and place it back in the general foreground.

If only one field "2 silver" should be occupied on one of the mountain streams , Removes the 2 silver coins and the mountain strip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Corning
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't say with certainty which is correct, but I had been playing the game in Excel quite a few times just to see how it plays, and I played it assuming A was correct. Now that I reread it, B does seem to make more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
If B is correct a better way of saying it would had been something like.

"If all spaces are empty remove the entire mountain strip."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
B) is correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Meiklejohn
msg tools
Hi Frank, thanks very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
B) is correct

Ok. I think we have played this wrong then in our games.
I support a clarification along Brian Petersens line in later printings of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bruckart
United States
Gainesville
VA
flag msg tools
Winless Streaker
mbmbmbmbmb
We did this wrong. We removed the second to last item, then if silver was just left, we wiped the mountain strip off as well.

Oops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bruckart
United States
Gainesville
VA
flag msg tools
Winless Streaker
mbmbmbmbmb
Heres a follow up question about mountain strips:

The rulebook says:
Shuffle the eight mountain strips and turn two of them face up
(three strips in a 4-player game). The remaining mountain strips
form a face down draw pile. Place the depicted goods on the spaces
of the face up mountain strips.
Sort the remaining wood, stone, ore, and silver tokens by type and
place them ready at hand.

In our 4p game, we put out 3 mountain strips...
So 3 are out at the start. We have five (5) left. We put one out each round so the last was placed out at the end of round 5. There were no more for round 6. The rulebook suggestions in a 4p game we will not have one for the seventh (last) round. Did we do something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
*edit* I was wrong about the removal order.

brbdc wrote:
In our 4p game, we put out 3 mountain strips...
So 3 are out at the start. We have five (5) left. We put one out each round so the last was placed out at the end of round 5. There were no more for round 6. The rulebook suggestions in a 4p game we will not have one for the seventh (last) round. Did we do something wrong?

The game ends after phase 7. In round 6 you will not have a mountain strip to put out.

In round 7 you will not need a mountain strip because you will not get to phase 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
brbdc wrote:
We did this wrong. We removed the second to last item, then if silver was just left, we wiped the mountain strip off as well.

Oops!

Damn, we got this wrong as well. Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny how different people read things differently. When I read the rules interpretation A hadn't even occurred to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
It did not occur to me when this thread was made, but if only an ore is left at the start of the mountain phase, it would still be removed.

Don't they all have 2 silver as the last spot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
It did not occur to me when this thread was made, but if only an ore is left at the start of the mountain phase, it would still be removed.

*edit* I missed the note on page 15, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra McNichols
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
GAFBlizzard wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

Yes, but players might have already taken the 2 silver, and ignored the ore. A resource in the middle of the strip might be the last one left by the time you get to phase 11.

How? When you take resources you always take from the far left (closest to the arrow).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ecm85 wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

Yes, but players might have already taken the 2 silver, and ignored the ore. A resource in the middle of the strip might be the last one left by the time you get to phase 11.

How? When you take resources you always take from the far left (closest to the arrow).

Apparently I misunderstood that rule for two games. I thought the resource order was ONLY for the mountain phase but I see the note on page 15. You are correct then.

I am so sorry, that is a big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
ecm85 wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

This is why I asked the question, to make sure another rule wasn't being missed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.