Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A new user (account created 10/1) geek mailed me Saturday regarding a game I had up for trade. He gave me a cash offer. I gave him a shipping quote. He then told me that in order for him to be able to pay I would have to send him an invoice through paypal because he was using an Asian paypal account. I was already reluctant because he was a new user, and now I was even more so because (1) he wanted me to ship to a USA mailing address, but was paying from a non-USA account, and (2) as I've never created an invoice in my 10+ years of using paypal, I was very suspicious that I was being setup.

Has anyone ever encountered this situation? Should I just say sorry, and move on. Or am I being too cautious?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
esquire468 wrote:
A new user (account created 10/1) geek mailed me Saturday regarding a game I had up for trade. He gave me a cash offer. I gave him a shipping quote. He then told me that in order for him to be able to pay I would have to send him an invoice through paypal because he was using an Asian paypal account. I was already reluctant because he was a new user, and now I was even more so because (1) he wanted me to ship to a USA mailing address, but was paying from a non-USA account, and (2) as I've never created an invoice in my 10+ years of using paypal, I was very suspicious that I was being setup.

Has anyone ever encountered this situation? Should I just say sorry, and move on. Or am I being too cautious?

Isn't creating an invoice just rolling the price and postage in together for a consolidated and confirmed total? I just had a vendor do that for me on Discogs; he could not say what the postage might be up front in order to advertise it in the price, so had to add it in later, and that's how it was done.

And why does it matter about the address being USA and the account being non-USA?

-edit- the invoice might also be the way to confirm and lock in a currency exchange rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
esquire468 wrote:

Isn't creating an invoice just rolling the price and postage in together for a consolidated and confirmed total? I just had a vendor do that for me on Discogs; he could not say what the postage might be up front in order to advertise it in the price, so had to add it in later, and that's how it was done.

And why does it matter about the address being USA and the account being non-USA?

-edit- the invoice might also be the way to confirm and lock in a currency exchange rate.

See my OP, I am not sure as I have never used an invoice. I am not sure why he would need to have one sent rather than simply paying me. That makes no sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
doesn't sound worth the risk. I've used paypal invoices before for billing but never in regards to a sale here on BGG, ebay, or anywhere else. If that person wants an invoice,

sell the game through the BGG marketplace. It automatically creates an invoice that both parties have to confirm. If the BGG invoice is not good enough for them, then... forget 'em.

ps I have never heard of an "Asian paypal account", and I have dealt with paypal transactions from Japan as well as Hong Kong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
esquire468 wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
esquire468 wrote:

See my OP, I am not sure as I have never used an invoice. I am not sure why he would need to have one sent rather than simply paying me. That makes no sense to me.

Still don't see the issue. Why not create a paypal invoice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
esquire468 wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
esquire468 wrote:

Still don't see the issue. Why not create a paypal invoice?

I am not here to argue, but to seek advice. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normiyagi wrote:
doesn't sound worth the risk. I've used paypal invoices before for billing but never in regards to a sale here on BGG, ebay, or anywhere else. If that person wants an invoice,

sell the game through the BGG marketplace. It automatically creates an invoice that both parties have to confirm. If the BGG invoice is not good enough for them, then... forget 'em.

ps I have never heard of an "Asian paypal account", and I have dealt with paypal transactions from Japan as well as Hong Kong.

Thanks. I took your advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.