1960: The Making of the President» Forums » Variants

Subject: Media support and Initiave Check rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Hi,
I finally played my first game of 1960. I really liked it. However, as other has said, I found media support not very exciting considering it benefits.
At the same time, I find quite unfair that the initiative is just an issue of luck, considering (particularly during the debate day) that it could make a big difference.

So why not just saying that the one who have more cubes in media will automatically have the iniative for this turn? (and of course, if there is a draw,the initiative check will be done).

I think that this could made media support a little more interesting and increase your strategic options for the game, as you could have more control on who has the initiative. At the same, I do not see how this will generate some unbalance in the game.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nedry
Japan
Yamashina
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since initiative is based on a support check the player who played more 2-3 cp cards has a slight advantage. They can load the bag up with their cubes.

Basing initiative off media cubes favors Nixon slightly since he gets 2 events that automatically place media cubes and Kennedy only gets 1-which takes media cubes away from Nixon and may not be of any use if drawn before any Nixon media cubes are in play . Plus, you're still basically stuck with luck determining who goes first because media cube placement is based on pulling cubes from the bag.

But hey if you want to house-rule it and play that way go for it. If it helps you enjoy the game more then it's a positive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Thanks,
That's a good point, I have not thought about checkin the event cards. However, considering that I'm playing with the Spanish version of the game, which has a little mistake (Nixon is not starting with a cube in North Dakota and Ohio),this rule could rebalance the game in a certain way
I will try this variant in my next game (unfortunately this could take long, as it not easy to me to convince my relatives to play)

Thanks for your comments Casey..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.