44.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: GW FFG breakup, will there now be a SCB/FS reskin in the TI universe? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
... ...
Germany
flag msg tools
A was just browsing for this but couldn't find anyone talking about it.
Would the Star Craft/Forbidden Stars system work with a TI skin, and how likely would it be?
any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about it myself, too.

Now that GW is gone, I would love to see them expand the TI3 Universe like they did with their Runebound Universe. Maybe I am in the minority, but I would rather see some more games in that "new" and still "unexplored" universe than get another couple of Star Wars games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always wondered why they never did a Runewars style remake of Thunder's Edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jordan
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just thinking about that one myself. I think it would be a good way to reuse a good game design with a setting they don't use often enough.

I personally think FFG doesn't use the TI Universe as much as they should. I used to say the same about Android, but they are actually pretty good there now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daikage wrote:
I was just thinking about that one myself. I think it would be a good way to reuse a good game design with a setting they don't use often enough.

I personally think FFG doesn't use the TI Universe as much as they should. I used to say the same about Android, but they are actually pretty good there now.

I agree with this sentiment but if they decide to do it, it won't be anytime soon. It probably won't be a straight reskin either, likely mess with some of the mechanics so I may not love it as much as FS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it. While it thematically works just fine, practically speaking they can't have two different "Ships and Dudes on a Space Map" games set in the same universe. Many would assume it was "TI4" by another name, even though TI3 would keep getting reprinted and selling out year after year.

Edit: I mean TI3 currently gets reprinted every year, and sells out every year, and yet people always ask "Is TI4 coming out?" every other month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
... ...
Germany
flag msg tools
Well they still made Rex... that one is admittedly not in space but why not reskin it to be a dudes on a planet game?
They could still keep the order tokens and maybe even have some movement restraints through terrain instead of space.
I would also very much welcome them leaving the dice driven combat for TI3 and do another Starcraft/GoT stile card driven system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikolas88 wrote:
I would also very much welcome them leaving the dice driven combat for TI3 and do another Starcraft/GoT stile card driven system.

If they made another game in the universe with different mechanics that would be cool.
Don't replace the dice in TI3, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All TI3 needs is a unified rule book, one good set of strategy cards, any needed card fixes, and maybe a few more 'normal' system tiles.

If I was going to 'break it to fix it', the ship movement (range actually) would be one greater. The whole point of Gravity Drive is they realize that ships need to move further in a turn for the game to work. The same rationale for the High Alert token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz S
msg tools
mb
Leifr wrote:
All TI3 needs is a unified rule book, one good set of strategy cards, any needed card fixes, and maybe a few more 'normal' system tiles.

If I was going to 'break it to fix it', the ship movement (range actually) would be one greater. The whole point of Gravity Drive is they realize that ships need to move further in a turn for the game to work. The same rationale for the High Alert token.

Don't forget about 3-4 races, third race technology and another way to receive technologies. One or two time per/game. And maybe third war sun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Clark
Scotland
Aberdeen
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Agree!!!

However I submit the following points:
1. A deluxe 20th anniversary 2017 edition (with expansions combined) would be awesome. Something like a wooden box with trays for all the pieces. (oh yes the 20th anniversary of the TI series is next year)
2. Some re-balancing of the races would be good too.... (just a little)
3. Different sculpt for the flag ships (one per race)
4. Rework of some of the objective cards to make them a little more thematic.
5. Fix dreadnoughts (cost or number of dice)

If they where going to do a skin of TI3 Starwars would be nice but not really fitting as Rebellion is already around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baza26b wrote:

1. A deluxe 20th anniversary 2017 edition (with expansions combined) would be awesome. Something like a wooden box with trays for all the pieces. (oh yes the 20th anniversary of the TI series is next year)

Who is going to buy it?

Most people with TI3 don't want a TI4 (as evidenced by the fortnightly new thread here), and would be even less likely to rebuy a deluxe version of the game they already have. Most people who want TI3 now have it, and the rest are covered by the constant reprints which turn over nicely.

FWIW I wouldn't buy a $10 upgrade pack with that lot in - it's really not needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Lawson
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
baza26b wrote:

Who is going to buy it?

Most people with TI3 don't want a TI4 (as evidenced by the fortnightly new thread here), and would be even less likely to rebuy a deluxe version of the game they already have. Most people who want TI3 now have it, and the rest are covered by the constant reprints which turn over nicely.

FWIW I wouldn't buy a $10 upgrade pack with that lot in - it's really not needed.

Actually, I'd buy a Deluxe/Collector's Edition of TI3 in a heartbeat, just like I bought the Collector's Edition of Twilight Struggle, and the Anniversary Edition of WoTR, and...

Obviously it would have to be pretty amazing (custom miniatures for each faction? bigger tiles? metal TGs? lots of cool options), but there's definitely some potential there. And the inevitable condensed/corrected (or even tweaked?!) rulebook would be a huge boon too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ajpl wrote:
And the inevitable condensed/corrected (or even tweaked?!) rulebook would be a huge boon too.

That's the useful bit - but a colour lasered copy of the Living Rulebook is pretty close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Clark
Scotland
Aberdeen
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
baza26b wrote:

Who is going to buy it?

I would for sure and I know of 4 others that would pick this up in a heart beat, I suspect any gamer that owns TI3 would be sorely tempted. You just have to look at the success's of other big box games...

Fantasy flight could shift a couple of thousand of these no problem!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baza26b wrote:

I would for sure and I know of 4 others that would pick this up in a heart beat, I suspect any gamer that owns TI3 would be sorely tempted. You just have to look at the success's of other big box games...

Well for a start a couple of thousand is nothing, and isn't enough to do this as a regular production run.

I know a lot of people with TI3 (me included) and no-one that would rebuy it. Now, if we didn't have it, then yes, several of us would pay more for a nicer edition (although TI3 is actually pretty great comnponentswise), but I've never rebought a game to get a collectors edition...

Mind you, I don't think I've seen a collectors edition worth rebuying...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:

Who is going to buy it?

Kelanen wrote:
baza26b wrote:

Well for a start a couple of thousand is nothing, and isn't enough to do this as a regular production run.

I know a lot of people with TI3 (me included) and no-one that would rebuy it. Now, if we didn't have it, then yes, several of us would pay more for a nicer edition (although TI3 is actually pretty great comnponentswise), but I've never rebought a game to get a collectors edition...

Mind you, I don't think I've seen a collectors edition worth rebuying...

If you acknowledge that the constant print runs sell well, and that people that don't have the game would buy a collector's edition, then it sounds like a collector's edition would sell to all those that would be buying from the next print runs, as well as any current owners that would rebuy a premium edition.

Count me among the former group. In fact, one of the things that holds me back is the frequent suggestion in relevant threads that certain elements of the expansions "fix" issues in the base game. A definitive edition that contains the relevant fixes would halve the cost of entry; alternatively, a deluxe edition would offer the premium feel that would justify for me the higher cost for a complete game. Considering people dropped $300 on Takenoko's deluxe edition, I don't think there would be trouble finding a market for something like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJRR_Esq wrote:
In fact, one of the things that holds me back is the frequent suggestion in relevant threads that certain elements of the expansions "fix" issues in the base game.

The fixes are very small, and some are freely downloadable. That said you wouldn't want to play without all the expansion material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm of the opinion that if FFG didn't have the Star Wars license as an incentive to print money and take a lot of their attention, we'd already have TI4 in our hands.

A less long, more manageable, more fun TI4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
I'm of the opinion that if FFG didn't have the Star Wars license as an incentive to print money and take a lot of their attention, we'd already have TI4 in our hands.

They made that game already.

It's calledTwilight Imperium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:

Well, whilst these boards are only a small subset of their customer base, that notion gets refuted every 6 weeks here.

We don't want smaller or more manageable - the opposite, we want more expansions and complexity - that's what's fun.

You want a different game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
deedob wrote:

Well, whilst these boards are only a small subset of their customer base, that notion gets refuted every 6 weeks here.

We don't want smaller or more manageable - the opposite, we want more expansions and complexity - that's what's fun.

You want a different game...

And everytime i hear that response, i remember that's the same response fans of Descent 1 gave before Descent 2 came along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:

And everytime i hear that response, i remember that's the same response fans of Descent 1 gave before Descent 2 came along.

Not sure what response that was, but Descent 2 is an abomination, and I and many others prefer Descent 1. I've seen more new players get into D1 than D2 as well...

We clearly move in different circles, because I often see Descent used as an argument against TI4, not for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
deedob wrote:

Not sure what response that was, but Descent 2 is an abomination, and I and many others prefer Descent 1. I've seen more new players get into D1 than D2 as well...

We clearly move in different circles, because I often see Descent used as an argument against TI4, not for it!

The large majority of people prefer Descent 2 to Descent 1. A very large majority i might add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Kelanen wrote:
deedob wrote:

The large majority of people prefer Descent 2 to Descent 1. A very large majority i might add.

While Descent 2 has sold well, almost all the Descent 1 players I personally know hate Descent 2. I'm the only one that likes both (and I wouldn't say I prefer one to the other, other than I like the campaign system).

There are a lot of new players to Descent 2 that have never played Descent 1, and may never really get the chance to compare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.