Subject: Optional breakaways? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessio Serafini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are breakaways/evasions compulsory? I mean, can an opposing player decide to let active ships out of a hex without a roll?

Situations often arise in three-sided games where this may be advantageous to the opposing player too. Also, there are missions like "Overawe" from the Romulan expansion whereby it seems really silly for opposing ships to prevent the active ones from exiting. Besides, it would make a lot of sense in terms of theme, and add a further diplomatic element to gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Breakaway rule on page 12 is quite clear that a Breakaway roll must be done before moving the ship.

But your larger point does make for a great question which would be nice if WizKids could address it sometime with a change to that rule. But I'm not holding my breath!

Also, the way you worded your question has me wondering if you understand that the ship doing the breaking away always gets to leave regardless of the result of the roll. A failed roll only means that the opponent gets to do a free attack on the departing ship. It doesn't hold the ship there.

(Reference: page 12, rulebook)

Edit: See my post below for the reason behind striking the above paragraph. Also, this post only discusses the Breakaway Roll. For a discussion about the Evasion roll, which the OP also asked about, see below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Serafini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh....no, I did not understand that! I missed that "you still get to move" bit. Also, I think I was misled by them mentioning that the only difference between evasion and breakaways is that in the former one just stops moving without being shot at...

Anyways, this sorts everything out as then the opposing player may just forfeit combat.

Thanks a lot for clarifying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

sirale wrote:
I think I was misled by them mentioning that the only difference between evasion and breakaways is that in the former one just stops moving without being shot at...

Well, they're actually correct! I apologize for my above reply not being entirely complete, for it focused only on a "breakaway". I didn't mention, nor did I consider, "evasion rolls".

If you (uncloaked) are trying to move through a location occupied by an uncloaked enemy, then you do an "Evasion Roll", which if failed does indeed stop you in the location. There are no attacks associated with an evasion roll.

OTOH, if you are trying to leave a location occupied by an uncloaked enemy, then you do a "Breakaway Roll", which is what I only talked about in my reply above.

So to summarize, here's what happens when you fail the Breakaway or Evasion Roll:
- Moving through an enemy occupied location (Evasion): Failed roll = STOP. No attack occurs.
- Leaving an enemy occupied location (Breakaway): Failed roll = MOVE BUT SUFFER a FREE ATTACK as you depart.

And you're right that if you fail a Breakaway Roll, that the opponent has the option whether or not to execute that free attack. I hadn't thought of that. So yes, the option is there already, so no need for Wizkids to change the rule. (I'll edit my earlier reply so not to leave other readers wondering).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Serafini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Thanks a lot once more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I found my obligatory house rule for ST:FC. I see no reason a ship should be required to do an evasion roll if the opposing ship doesn't even want them to stop. We'll just play it you can wave them through if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.