26.8% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Kris Russell
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Sacred weapon it says something like this : Draw a nonbasic weapon from the box. Your melee and ranged checks are now a d8 plus the scenario number.

Ok I get that you're essentially getting a weapon from your deity and he/she is giving you the strength to use said weapon hence using the d8 instead of whatever your normal strength might be. So I get the dice for the weapon and then another d8.

The issue is that most weapons of the nonbasic variety have the requirement to be proficient with them. Example is something like this : Add 1d8 to your check when using this weapon. If your not proficient with weapons the difficulty goes up by 4.

I understand that thematically as well. You're not very good with said weapon you may not be able to use it as effectively. I'm good with that.

Now when you play sacred weapon are you proficient with that weapon at least for that check? Or do I have to add 4 to my check to defeat?

Thematically it's as if your deity said here's this giant sword go and defeat my enemies. Yet forgot that even with temporary upper body strength you're still clueless as to how to properly wield said sword.

I know there are some divine characters that are proficient with weapons is this card directed more to them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I know there are some divine characters that are proficient with weapons is this card directed more to them?

This. Cards do what they say in Pathfinder, so barring a FAQ or Forum post saying otherwise, you have to apply the non-proficiency penalty.

Perhaps the "magical" appearance of a weapon and the D8 + Scenario (Adventure Deck?) number represents the deity's total assistance for wielding the sacred weapon. I'd imagine a non-martial character with no weapons and a foe immune to their items and spells would be pretty grateful for the miraculous appearance of a long sword; regardless of how well they wielded it since it's better than the basic STR check in most cases - perhaps in the situations where it's worse the character struck a really bad blow or the evil present was so strong the diety couldn't cut through the noise to provide the proper level of assistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The same question was asked here on the Paizo forum. Three posts below is an official response from Vic Wertz that all the rules still apply. Thre are other details about Sacred Weapon in the same thread that might also interest you. Good luck on your adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An overlooked benefit of Sacred Weapon is that you can freely use the "discard" or "recharge" bonus powers of the weapon,as it is going back into the box anyway.

But yes, if you draw a martial weapon and don't have proficiency, it will make your check more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Russell
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help. At least I don't feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot when I use the spell now. Knowing that I can "discard" the summoned weapon will greatly offset the increase in difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.