Hide
7 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Describing the factions to new players. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steffan kristensen
msg tools
How would you guys describe the 7 different factions playstyles to new players?

I know the rulebook/s have very good descriptions and strategy tips, but most new players i've met can't manage to learn both the rules and read a number of pages of faction description in the same night
Therefore, I'm looking for some short descriptions to quickly help new players decide which faction might suit them the best.

I.e.

Windwalker: combat heavy, weak early game but really strong late game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu: "The Wrecking Ball." You must get out and fight! Throw Cthulhu into battle. Use him as a wrecking ball wherever someone else has built up.

Crawling Chaos: "Opportunistic Predator." Harass everyone, everywhere. Look for Gates to be stolen, cultists to be captured, GOOs to be mugged.

Yellow Sign: "Desecration Train." Your path to victory is Move->Desecrate, Move-Desecrate, rinse, repeat. (To everyone else): If you let him do this all game, he will win.

Black Goat: "Sneaky Engine-Builder." You want to ooze all over the map, not starting anything with anyone, until suddenly Shubby is a powerhouse.

Windwalker: "Arctic Death Wave." Slow to build up, but once you have built up, get ready to sweep across the map for maximum chaos and destruction.

Sleeper: "Lethargic Rampage." Once (or twice, if they're dumb), your opponents will let you Lethargy to the end of the turn with a bunch of Power left. Use it to go on a rampage - maximize the number of Gates you can take. Then hunker down and get ready for the retaliation.

Opener of the Way: "Bag of Tricks." So many things to do, so many different ways to do them. Be nimble and adaptable, look for whatever will benefit you the most or hurt someone else at any given time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Cthulhu is for fight; he hits like a freight train.
Crawling Chaos is for tricks; he has many options.
Black Goat is for economy; she can build up effectively.
Yellow Sign is for World Tour; he needs to visit the entire map.
Windwalker is for snowball; he starts weak but gets stronger.
Opener of the Way is for shenanigans; he breaks the game in ways good and bad.
Sleeper is for laziness; he can wait and act later.
The Tcho-Tcho are (presumably) for empire; they start strong and gets weaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu – While often seen as a beat stick, I tell new players that you need to be aggressive with him without going overboard. I always point out that two of his spellbooks rely on combat, and other players do not have to oblige him as he cannot get unlimited battle until he has those two spellbooks. So Cthulhu can’t just rampage. He needs to pick targets that cannot or won’t move out of his way. Also, he is I believe the only great old one that cannot win if he gets bad rolls. He must get a kill +his devour to get that second spellbook. So I tell new players, to plan for multiple combats to help with potentially bad rolls.

Yellow Sign – I tell new players to get the king in yellow out, look at the spellbooks and do what comes natural. This faction is so amazingly easy to play, that I have not had anyone really get confused their first time. I usually remind them that getting Hastur out is an important part of the yellow sign engine as some newer players don’t put for the the effort until it is too late.

Black Goat – I try not to give this to new players. But If I do, because I am not playing, then I will tell them to capitalize on their ability to put units out fast and cheap, and only expand when they already have a good base of power. Also, I point out the necrophagy may be one of black goats most important abilities. I often see newer players ignore it otherwise.

Crawling Chaos – I tell new players to be aggressive with this faction and to exploit the weaknesses of others and your mobility. This faction is power hungry and I tell them not to worry about keeping all the gates they build or steal. They just need them long enough to power their their spellbook acquisitions and get Nyarlathotep Out. I also point out that they are the most political faction with their ability to negotiate over Madness.

Opener of the Ways – I don’t let new players play this faction unless they are dead set on it. The reason I give is that this faction relies on timing more than any other faction, and if you don’t know the game well, it is hard to know the right time for some abilities as they are entirely dependent on the game state at that moment.

Windwalker - I tell new players to make nice and cut deals early on, and go for the jugular mid game. Plan on creating a swath of destruction which will net you some big score turns before other players can adequately contain you. While hibernate was cool, I feel it has been nerfed too much so I will caution players about hibernating too often, but it will likely be needed to get that coveted 1st player marker. And cannibalism followed up by a wendigo attack with howl is incredibly awesome.

Sleeper – I describe sleeper as the “blue” faction for players who like magic. He is about setting up combos with his abilities that people are not expecting. Most of his abilities slide under the radar until someone makes the mistake of attacking him or he finally strikes. Sleeper is about stealth and sneakiness as much as raw power. It’s to his credit that he can actually be a beat stick as well as a trickster depending on what is needed. I look at him as the Swiss army faction.

I have no experience with Tcho Tchos’ so will defer until they are released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Panda ThatsMe
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually start with "What D&D class do you usually like to play?", or if they haven't played rpgs, some sort of video game equivalent.

Cthulhu - Fighter. Have to be willing to get in there and be aggressive.

Yellow Sign - Thief. Though not an active antagonist, this faction relies on stealthy behind the scenes move.

Crawling Chaos - Mage. Usually people who like Mage classes, are looking for new and different ways to use their spells. A tinkerer.

Black Goat - No real D&D class equivalent, so I usually say "Zerg" (from Starcraft), and most people get it. Though with Black Goat, you don't want to rush to attack right away, you can spawn monsters quicker than anyone else.

We haven't played the others enough to give a really good description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tcho-Tchos - "WW2 Axis"; go on an early rampage then hold onto your gains as long as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:

Windwalker - I tell new players to make nice and cut deals early on, and go for the jugular mid game. Plan on creating a swath of destruction which will net you some big score turns before other players can adequately contain you. While hibernate was cool, I feel it has been nerfed too much so I will caution players about hibernating too often, but it will likely be needed to get that coveted 1st player marker. And cannibalism followed up by a wendigo attack with howl is incredibly awesome.

My stragegy to play WW as a blitz faction :
1/ First turn: summon 2 Wednigos on your gate and then Hibernate ! You will begin 1st with 14 PPs (or 15 PPs if Th King is here) in the second turn, a score no one can match.
2/ Second turn, take Howl for being first in the turn. awaken Rhan Thegoth as your first-second action. At these times, Cthulhu and potentially other factions need to awaken or have awakened their costy GOO and potentially there second gates are naked against Rhan ...

I let you imagine the following steps devil Aah, i just forget to precise: i never use the Gnop Keh (too costy and so lenghty to build), neither really Artic Winds The use of Ithaqua ? To get your Fifth Spellbook.

With his strategy, a slow and costy faction is now a quick and very efficient one !!
And sometimes i succeed to obtain a big victory. You are almost always the guy with a lot of PPs as you can hibernate easily when all other factions have 0 PPs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.