BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Game Title Issue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D24 Wrestling
United States
flag msg tools
designer
I have an idea for a name for a new wrestling game, "Wars of the Ring." However, Lord of the Rings has a board game called "War of the Ring." Even though the two genres are on opposite ends of the spectrum, trademark scares me a little here. What do you guys think? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not wise to ask for this kind of legal advice from random people on the internet. That said, if you're not willing to pay an actual attorney to give you a legal opinion on this, the general answer is "don't even consider it."

Pete (can't imagine it would be too hard to find an alternate name)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Personally, "Wars of the Ring", doesn't strike me as a good title for a wrestling game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not an attorney. I don't even play one on TV. However, my guess is that since War of the Ring is published by a major publisher, they have applied for Trademark protection of that phrase, in particular in it's use related to game titles. In using a title which is extremely similar (one or two letters different), you'd run the risk of a cease and desist letter at the very least, and possibly a law suit. This is not unprecedented in the history of board game titles. BattleTech was originally published as Battledroids until they were sued by Lucasfilms, who owns the trademark for the term droid. Milton Bradely was forced to change Shogun to Samurai Swords because of the threat of legal action from the published of the novel Shogun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant_Monster wrote:
Personally, "Wars of the Ring", doesn't strike me as a good title for a wrestling game.

It's an amazing title if it's a hobbit wrestling game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hgman3 wrote:
I'm not an attorney. I don't even play one on TV.

I'm also not an attorney but I 'have' 0played one on TV and I'd have to say don't touch it. Come up with something else. I just makes me think of elves and hobbits and fantasy. Certainly not wrestling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Spencerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even without the potential legal issues involved, I don't think it's a good idea to use that title for the game. It's clever, but "war of the ring" is almost irreversibly associated with Tolkien for many gamers. The title would create a mental association with LOTR, and would not effectively communicate what the game is about or attract your desired audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
"Wars in the Ring" sounds better to me (and is more easily distinguished from "War of the Ring," though IASNAL.)

Even so, I generally agree that it's not a great name for a wrestling game anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dragon
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
JosefK wrote:
Giant_Monster wrote:

My wife was confused why I was laughing so hard in the bathroom. Thanks for that.

Alternate LOTR wrestling game could be titled "Ring Wraiths". Probably equally as legally problematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D24 Wrestling
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the advice and comments. Good points, I'm going to scrap it. Different name it shall be : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
JosefK wrote:
Giant_Monster wrote:

Ooooooo Hobbit tossing!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JosefK wrote:
Giant_Monster wrote:

"Preeeesenting the Condor From Gondor!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This title is fun but it doesn't convey a lot of what the game is about, and is misleading. Scrapping, regardless of legal issues, seems to be the best course of action indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JosefK wrote:
Giant_Monster wrote:

So...is that hobbits wrestling, or is that humans wresting a bunch of hobbits.

Pete (would watch that channel either way)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.