Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-Roger Duvauchelle
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Transformation Space
If the player uses this space, he receives 1 space contamination.
If the transformed die brings me 3 or more action points, do I receive 1 more space contamination (for a total of two) ?

Effects of an outpost
Each player figure that is in the same hexagon as an outpost earns double the amount of victory points at the end game scoring.
Does it apply to :

1/ Only to Maintenance Scoring:
Finally, all players compare the number of their own playing figures (colonies, space stations, mission markers) that are within the range of their own space ships.

2/ To Commercial Hubs too:
For each of his own playing figures (colony, space station, mission marker) next to a built commercial hub the player receives 1 victory point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keller
Switzerland
Schwanden i.E.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes.

2. The outpost+figure only count in the maintenance scoring 2x, but not as victory points. Just count all the figures in range + outpost together to evaluate the maintnance score. Do this for every player. The player with the most maintenance points, gets the most VP.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lohengrin75 wrote:
Transformation Space
If the player uses this space, he receives 1 space contamination.
If the transformed die brings me 3 or more action points, do I receive 1 more space contamination (for a total of two)?

Freakgeims wrote:
1. Yes.

Just to ensure that I have this correct: I take a brown die showing 3 action points from the bridge and receive 1 space contamination. Then I place it on the transformation space to change its colour to yellow and receive an extra 2 space contamination (1 for using the transformation space and 1 for generating a die with 3 or more action points). So a total of 3 space contamination is received for this move if I have understood it correctly.

(Edit: corrected research space to transformation space)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
GhundiPI wrote:

Just to ensure that I have this correct: I take a brown die showing 3 action points from the bridge and receive 1 space contamination. Then I place it on the research space to change its colour to yellow and receive an extra 2 space contamination (1 for using the transformation space and 1 for generating a die with 3 or more action points). So a total of 3 space contamination is received for this move if I have understood it correctly.

Why do you receive a contamination cube for taking the die? In my understanding this should generate two cubes total. One for using the space and one for using a die with three or more.

Correction: after reading the rules, you actually get the contamination cube when "taking" a die that gives three or more action points. But it's still two cubes in your example.

Another example - say you take a brown action die with a star - you have two pips in the brown tech die so no contamination there. You put it on the transformation space (+1 contamination) and change it to yellow. You have three pips in your yellow tech die, so you get one contamination. Two in total. Right?

This because (rulebook page 12):
Quote:
If the die shows a star, the player uses his tech die of the "new" color to determine the action points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the game again, I think our confusion is caused by the following which implies that as soon as you take a die with a value of 3 or more (either a straight 3 points, or through a star value) you receive space contamination:
Quote:
Attention: Space Contamination: Each player taking an action die that brings him 3 or more action points immediately receives 1 space contamination.
(Top left page 12)

Now having followed the steps of section 9.2 quite literally in our last game, I think the above quote is what is causing our confusion. If I understand it correctly, the die is first put on the player mat, checked for bonus and only then you receive the action points when performing the chosen action.

So yes, I now understand that in my example (taking a straight three point die) will only create a maximum of 2 space contamination when placed on the transformation space. As the effect of the transformation space already has been completed before the amount of points on the die is checked.

Though correct me if wrong of course Also, thank you tilde72 for taking the time in answering my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
GhundiPI wrote:
Having played the game again, I think our confusion is caused by the following which implies that as soon as you take a die with a value of 3 or more (either a straight 3 points, or through a star value) you receive space contamination:
Quote:
Attention: Space Contamination: Each player taking an action die that brings him 3 or more action points immediately receives 1 space contamination.
(Top left page 12)

Now having followed the steps of section 9.2 quite literally in our last game, I think the above quote is what is causing our confusion. If I understand it correctly, the die is first put on the player mat, checked for bonus and only then you receive the action points when performing the chosen action.

So yes, I now understand that in my example (taking a straight three point die) will only create a maximum of 2 space contamination when placed on the transformation space. As the effect of the transformation space already has been completed before the amount of points on the die is checked.

Though correct me if wrong of course Also, thank you tilde72 for taking the time in answering my question.

Sure, no problem - I was also taken aback when I read the rules again and saw that it said "taking" instead of "placing". But this is how I have played and I think it's correct.

On a general note, the English rulebook needs a rewrite/revision/errata or any combination of the three (even some of the headlines are still in German). I think this relatively small effort could make the first play much more fun for new players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
By the way: I just came to think about another example that I would like to have tested for clarity's sake, and that is the opposite of the example I mentioned above:

Example:

1. You take a brown action die with a star. You have three pips on your brown tech die.
2. You put this die on the transformation space and change it to yellow. You have two pips on your yellow tech die.

How many contamination?

One (only for the transformation space)or two (for "taking" the brown die and for the transformation space)?

The way I understand it it should be one contamination, but I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.