Subject: HELP! 'Special Cards' question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin McCaffery
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools

I hope the picture downloaded but just-in-case... I have the Signs of Carcosa expansion and in the components description there is the notation of there being 32 'special' cards (these 'Special Cards' are also in other expansions, too). These cards are obviously linked to the ancient one (like the clue tokens and the associated cards are linked to the ancient one you are fighting)and are divided into 3 categories (with 3 similar, but still unique card backs), King in Yellow, Cities on the Lake and Unspeakable Ones. There is some sort of test and then a success or failure to follow up with, depending...

Ive played the game a couple of times, no problem but I can't figure out where /when to use these Special Cards. No doubt ill shake my head when I get the answer but I'm stumped right now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McCaffery
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
AND... why are the cards subdivided into the 3 categories

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are used for some of the mysteries. Each mystery should tell you which of the decks to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinmccaffery wrote:

I hope the picture downloaded but just-in-case... I have the Signs of Carcosa expansion and in the components description there is the notation of there being 32 'special' cards (these 'Special Cards' are also in other expansions, too). These cards are obviously linked to the ancient one (like the clue tokens and the associated cards are linked to the ancient one you are fighting)and are divided into 3 categories (with 3 similar, but still unique card backs), King in Yellow, Cities on the Lake and Unspeakable Ones. There is some sort of test and then a success or failure to follow up with, depending...

Ive played the game a couple of times, no problem but I can't figure out where /when to use these Special Cards. No doubt ill shake my head when I get the answer but I'm stumped right now...

Those decks each come into play when a certain (separate) mystery is active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
Hey Kevin,

Welcome to the Horror .

So each Ancient One has a Research Encounter deck, the one with the magnifying glass on it for when you encounter Clues.

They also have a Mystery Deck, the one with just their image on it.

Finally, some of the Ancient Ones have Special Encounter decks which are to be used in Special Circumstances. They are usually linked to a specific Mystery of that Ancient One, or their Final Mystery (When they wake up and the card flips).

For the Ancient One in Question, Hastur, the decks will be used as follows:

******************* Spoiler Alert!!!!! ***************

The King in Yellow deck is used when the King in Yellow Mystery is drawn, you have the option to resolve a King in Yellow special encounter in London.

The Cities on the Lake is used when the Cities on the Lake Mystery is drawn, you have the option to resolve a City on the Lake Special Encounter when on a space containing a gate.

The last deck, Unspeakable Ones is used when Hastur awakens, usually when Doom hits 0. The back of his sheet will describe in what situations you use these encounters.

Hope that made sense

The reason for these, I believe, is that each Ancient One would be a bit generic and boring if they all only involved killing Epic Monster's or gathering clues etc. for their Mysteries. These Special Encounter decks sort of add an extra flavour to the curry of each Ancient One. Im still waiting on most of my expansions, but had an epic game vs Cthulhu with Under Pyramids expansion.

One Love
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
We experienced the same issue when playing 'Mountains of Madness' which has an AO with a 'special encounters deck - I asked similarly re that - Link

The rule book(s) does not make how to handle these clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McCaffery
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
thank you, all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
The rule book(s) does not make how to handle these clear.
Because every deck is used in different circumstances, the most rulebook could say would be "The game will tell you when to draw a card from any of the special encounter decks."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.