tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheese is great for covering the ocean in plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the best responses to #AllLivesMatter I've read:

GeekAesthete wrote:
Imagine that you're sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don't get any. So you say "I should get my fair share." And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, "everyone should get their fair share." Now, that's a wonderful sentiment -- indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad's smart-ass comment just dismissed you and didn't solve the problem that you still haven't gotten any!

The problem is that the statement "I should get my fair share" had an implicit "too" at the end: "I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else." But your dad's response treated your statement as though you meant "only I should get my fair share", which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that "everyone should get their fair share," while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

That's the situation of the "black lives matter" movement. Culture, laws, the arts, religion, and everyone else repeatedly suggest that all lives should matter. Clearly, that message already abounds in our society.
The problem is that, in practice, the world doesn't work the way. You see the film Nightcrawler? You know the part where Renee Russo tells Jake Gyllenhal that she doesn't want footage of a black or latino person dying, she wants news stories about affluent white people being killed? That's not made up out of whole cloth -- there is a news bias toward stories that the majority of the audience (who are white) can identify with. So when a young black man gets killed (prior to the recent police shootings), it's generally not considered "news", while a middle-aged white woman being killed is treated as news. And to a large degree, that is accurate -- young black men are killed in significantly disproportionate numbers, which is why we don't treat it as anything new. But the result is that, societally, we don't pay as much attention to certain people's deaths as we do to others. So, currently, we don't treat all lives as though they matter equally.

Just like asking dad for your fair share, the phrase "black lives matter" also has an implicit "too" at the end: it's saying that black lives should also matter. But responding to this by saying "all lives matter" is willfully going back to ignoring the problem. It's a way of dismissing the statement by falsely suggesting that it means "only black lives matter," when that is obviously not the case. And so saying "all lives matter" as a direct response to "black lives matter" is essentially saying that we should just go back to ignoring the problem.

TL;DR: The phrase "Black lives matter" carries an implicit "too" at the end; it's saying that black lives should also matter. Saying "all lives matter" is dismissing the very problems that the phrase is trying to draw attention to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neiltherealdeal wrote:
Ha ha! Just kidding.

All lives matter.

Have a nice day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for your unique and valuable insight. Please feel free to stop by any other time you want to repeat a stale talking point we've all heard a thousand fucking times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will go ahead and fix this for you to make it a bit more realistic.

jmilum wrote:

GeekAesthete wrote:
Imagine that you're sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don't get any. So you say "I should get my fair share.

And your mother who paid for the meal asks you to go out a get a plate and then you can have some. But your neighbor who is running for office and also listened in on your conversation yells out his window " I will give you a free meal if you vote for me" and instead of getting a plate for yourself, you sit back and wait for someone to bring you a plate.

In the meantime your little brother just stabbed your cousin and nobody cares cause that kid had it coming for a while. You would call his dad, but we don't know who his dad is, thankfully the state welfare check is providing food for you as long as you keep voting the right way. You also never contribute in taxes as you get more back then you ever put in and call for the police using way more then your fair share of public services. Thug life bitches !

Then its an election year and a fake white guy named Sean King tells you that its white people that are holding you down and that's a much easier way to deal with your problems then admitting your family has let you down. Now your 12 year old sister is pregnant with twins.Which is great cause two baby's are worth more in benefits. With any luck we can get your younger brother diagnosed with ADD and get some new benefits.

Maybe its time to go out and get job and get off this financial plantation that takes advantage of you, nah fuck it, the new Madden game is out.

Fixed with a real world bit of flavor, you're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

jmilum wrote:

GeekAesthete wrote:
Imagine that you're sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don't get any. So you say "I should get my fair share.

And your mother who paid for the meal asks you to go out a get a plate and then you can have some. But your neighbor who is running for office and also listened in on your conversation yells out his window " I will give you a free meal if you vote for me" and instead of getting a plate for yourself, you sit back and wait for someone to bring you a plate.

In the meantime your little brother just stabbed your cousin and nobody cares cause that kid had it coming for a while. You would call his dad, but we don't know who his dad is, thankfully the state welfare check is providing food for you as long as you keep voting the right way. You also never contribute in taxes as you get more back then you ever put in and call for the police using way more then your fair share of public services. Thug life bitches !

Then its an election year and a fake white guy named Sean King tells you that its white people that are holding you down and that's a much easier way to deal with your problems then admitting your family has let you down. Now your 12 year old sister is pregnant with twins.Which is great cause two baby's are worth more in benefits. With any luck we can get your younger brother diagnosed with ADD and get some new benefits.

Maybe its time to go out and get job and get off this financial plantation that takes advantage of you, nah fuck it, the new Madden game is out.

Can't for the life of me under the utter failure of GOP minority outreach
given they seem to have the same voices in their head advising them as advise you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

jmilum wrote:

GeekAesthete wrote:

We get it. You're racist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
Thank you so much for your unique and valuable insight. Please feel free to stop by any other time you want to repeat a stale talking point we've all heard a thousand fucking times.

Don't be too hard on him.

This and troll Amazon reviews now count as activism, so we all have to lower our expectations out of the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
jmilum wrote:
TL;DR: The phrase "Black lives matter" carries an implicit "too" at the end; it's saying that black lives should also matter. Saying "all lives matter" is dismissing the very problems that the phrase is trying to draw attention to.
[/q]

Meh..

wrote:
... Chances are the answers to those questions fall all over the place. Four years after its founding, BLM is still a movement without a clear meaning for many Americans. Some see it has a hate group; others as cutting-edge activism and yet others as just a step above a mob.

"Most of the folks in the movement are young and we're black so they assume we're uneducated and uninformed and we're just angry and in the streets," says Johnetta Elzie, a leader in the BLM movement and Campaign Zero, another organization formed to fight police brutality.
Those assumptions may now get worse as BLM leaders confront a make-or-break moment that virtually all protest movements eventually face: What happens when your enemies and unexpected events do a better job of defining your movement than you do?

BLM leaders are under a new kind of scrutiny because of a whiplash of unexpected events: cell phone videos of two black men who died from police gunfire followed by the ambush and killings of five police officers in Dallas at a Black Lives Matter protest, and three police officers targeted and killed in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
We get it. You're racist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
The they should add a fucking "too" to the end of it if they don't want snarky replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
jmilum wrote:

GeekAesthete wrote:
Imagine that you're sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don't get any. So you say "I should get my fair share." And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, "everyone should get their fair share." Now, that's a wonderful sentiment -- indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad's smart-ass comment just dismissed you and didn't solve the problem that you still haven't gotten any!

The problem is that the statement "I should get my fair share" had an implicit "too" at the end: "I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else." But your dad's response treated your statement as though you meant "only I should get my fair share", which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that "everyone should get their fair share," while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

That's the situation of the "black lives matter" movement. Culture, laws, the arts, religion, and everyone else repeatedly suggest that all lives should matter. Clearly, that message already abounds in our society.
The problem is that, in practice, the world doesn't work the way. You see the film Nightcrawler? You know the part where Renee Russo tells Jake Gyllenhal that she doesn't want footage of a black or latino person dying, she wants news stories about affluent white people being killed? That's not made up out of whole cloth -- there is a news bias toward stories that the majority of the audience (who are white) can identify with. So when a young black man gets killed (prior to the recent police shootings), it's generally not considered "news", while a middle-aged white woman being killed is treated as news. And to a large degree, that is accurate -- young black men are killed in significantly disproportionate numbers, which is why we don't treat it as anything new. But the result is that, societally, we don't pay as much attention to certain people's deaths as we do to others. So, currently, we don't treat all lives as though they matter equally.

Just like asking dad for your fair share, the phrase "black lives matter" also has an implicit "too" at the end: it's saying that black lives should also matter. But responding to this by saying "all lives matter" is willfully going back to ignoring the problem. It's a way of dismissing the statement by falsely suggesting that it means "only black lives matter," when that is obviously not the case. And so saying "all lives matter" as a direct response to "black lives matter" is essentially saying that we should just go back to ignoring the problem.

I would agree with this, except I have seen numerous examples that explicitly remove the "too." Anti-racism rallies where speakers are shut down when they mention that they have been victims of racism from black people. People at BLM gatherings who say that, no, white lives do NOT matter.

So, sure, there are a lot of folks who think "too", but there aren't enough to just categorize every BLM member / advocate as thinking like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
scifiantihero wrote:
The they should add a fucking "too" to the end of it if they don't want snarky replies.
surprise RUN "ads" with this 'addendum' upon B.E.T., since "Khaki-Skintone-TV" shan't! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone post that stupid cartoon again and then we can put a bow on this thread and call it done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

jmilum wrote:

GeekAesthete wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Lundeen
United States
Carrollton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an infrequent reader/poster these days, but for the regulars- where was the tipping point when the RSP conservative circle jerk threads became indistinguishable from Stormfront?

The arrival of Jeremycobert/TheDashi? (some people are saying they are the same person)
The return of Tripp?
Or is it just this election cycle and Trump's mainstream normalization of white supremacy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaSokpupet wrote:
The best response to #BLM is that they need to add the implied "except when they are killed by other black people," since there are about 100 times more blacks killed that way and they don't seem to really care. Their activist website states they want to enact policies that would likely increase the level of crime in the black community.
You are incorrect, you only hear the push back against cops because cops are our proxies. In the African-American community there are many activists and initiatives that try and reduce/stop the black-on-black violence, but you don't see it because you don't live in those communities. Educate yourself before you take on ignorant positions. The gang bangers shooting each other are not the same people who make up BLM. It's weird like that, the community isn't a monolithic hive mind, different people have totally different priorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
It is a sad fact that in order to not get derailed by ignorant, pedantic racists, you have to explain everything out in user-agreement-level legaleze so they don't twist it back on you and claim you are really the racist.

What a wonderful world it would be that when you made your heart felt feelings known about the killing of innocent people you wouldn't have people making snarky, disingenuous distractions to avoid the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glundee1 wrote:
I'm an infrequent reader/poster these days, but for the regulars- where was the tipping point when the RSP conservative circle jerk threads became indistinguishable from Stormfront?

The arrival of Jeremycobert/TheDashi? (some people are saying they are the same person)
The return of Tripp?
Or is it just this election cycle and Trump's mainstream normalization of white supremacy?
I think when JC went of the rails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaSokpupet wrote:
I didn't say gang bangers were part of BLM. I would probably do some more research, like this BLM protest in NY, "What do we want? Dead Cops! When do we want them? Now!"
So now you are moving the goal posts away from the black-on-black crime thing to things said by a protest mob? Ok... we'll roll with that then. You know what people who are serious about killing do when they really want someone dead? They kill them. They don't stand around singing songs about killing them. Protesters are doing what protesters do, try to get their message out in anyway possible, regardless of how it looks. The more controversial, the more the media jackals swarm to the smell of chaos. The protesters do that because they have been frustrated into action by being seemingly ignored when they have pointed out these injustices in the past and they keep happening. Is it right to call for the deaths of anyone? No. But it does get attention to the cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
TheChin! wrote:
Protesters are doing what protesters do, try to get their message out in anyway possible, regardless of how it looks.

I don't know about that.
Quote:
"Black people for too long have been forced to refine our message according to what is comfortable for the mainstream," says Brittany Packnett, one of the BLM movement leaders. "We have made a distinctive choice not to do it."
That decision, to not couch their message to get white buy-in, can be seen in the BET speech by Jesse Williams, who said "the burden of the brutalized is not to comfort the bystander."
"If you have no interest in equal rights for black people then do not make suggestions to those who do. Sit down," Williams said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Protesters are doing what protesters do, try to get their message out in anyway possible, regardless of how it looks.

I don't know about that.
Quote:
"Black people for too long have been forced to refine our message according to what is comfortable for the mainstream," says Brittany Packnett, one of the BLM movement leaders. "We have made a distinctive choice not to do it."
That decision, to not couch their message to get white buy-in, can be seen in the BET speech by Jesse Williams, who said "the burden of the brutalized is not to comfort the bystander."
"If you have no interest in equal rights for black people then do not make suggestions to those who do. Sit down," Williams said.

That seems to be exactly what he is saying. They are not going to protest in carefully chosen words in order to seem as non-threatening as possible, because that gets them ignored. Being incendiary gets them on TV, gets people to pay attention. If these shootings didn't cause an uproar then the media would ignore it and we wouldn't be talking about police reform. It would be like pretty white girl abduction stories. They disappear and it is a horrible tragedy, men and black women disappear and they might get a brief mention in their local news. Black women especially end up lost and ignored, it's what allowed Sowell the serial killer to kill so many women without getting caught. Nobody cared to go looking for the women.

It's a sad symptom of systematic racism that black murders (be it by white people or black people, but especially by cops) needs hyperbolic and outrageous language and actions to get it into the news cycle and something done about it. Because that need causes so much tension it is unfortunate that it can do as much harm to the cause as good. Especially when it becomes a distraction and allows their enemies to keep the conversation about the protesters instead of reforming excessive force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
TheChin! wrote:
If these shootings didn't cause an uproar then the media would ignore it and we wouldn't be talking about police reform.

Quote:
According to a Pew Research Center poll released last month -- taken before the Dallas shootings -- roughly 4 in 10 Americans support BLM. Still, a large number, 30%, said they have not heard anything or had no opinion about BLM. And about 40% of whites who have heard of BLM say they don't understand its goals.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/29/us/black-lives-matter-blowing-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
If these shootings didn't cause an uproar then the media would ignore it and we wouldn't be talking about police reform.

Quote:
According to a Pew Research Center poll released last month -- taken before the Dallas shootings -- roughly 4 in 10 Americans support BLM. Still, a large number, 30%, said they have not heard anything or had no opinion about BLM. And about 40% of whites who have heard of BLM say they don't understand its goals.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/29/us/black-lives-matter-blowing-...
Yeah, but even if people don't know what BLM means, they still know that what happened in Ferguson and around other shootings is about police use of force. Even if people don't associate BLM with the goals of getting cops to not draw their guns inappropriately, they get that is what the protests and riots start out about.

There are also a percentage of head-in-the-sand Americans who ignore news altogether unless it is about their favorite TV show because that makes life a little more bearable. In polls like that I wonder if they ask control questions like "Do you know what Aleppo is?".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.