BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for simple cooperative games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh F
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I love Forbidden Island, and I've made several attempts now to use it as a family therapy activity. The problem I'm running into is that the families I work with are generally not gamers, and even the level of rules knowledge and strategizing that Forbidden Island requires (which, to my mind, is relatively low) seems to be too much for them. And it's hard to have "family members having fun while working together on a tense activity" when they barely get the idea that they're supposed to collect matching treasure cards, let alone coordinate among players to share cards, shore up important spots, and generally not die. Plus the parents are probably all in the "fantasy and imagination are for babies" camp, which is generally more than a couple months of therapy is going to fix.

So what I'd like is another game to fill that niche, but simpler. Cooperative, with some modicum of challenge, but not too many rules to intimidate people who aren't used to non-mainstream games. Abstract theme preferred but not mandatory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Family Pastimes line may work better

try the simple ones

Max
Caves & Claws
Princess
Round-Up
The Secret Door

they also have a book of modified palour games which might be games more farmilar to your clients

Co-Op Parlor Games

I'd also look at The New Games Book which had lots of co-op activities to build trust. If it's not in print, I am sure you can find it on abe.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi

I think it's a great blend of ease of rules and quite challenging. Coordination is not an option as well, which sounds like it might work well for your purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan St. John
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could try Hanabi? Rules are simple with an abstract theme. It can be pretty stressful however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's my suggestions...

Hanabi - really thin theme, ruleset is very simple.. hardest part is limiting the amount of "table-talk", but even that is simply a matter of how strict you want to be..
FUSE - fun, faced pace (whole game takes 10 minutes), and easy to understand rules...
Codenames - cooperative team vs team.. but extremely simple to learn..

I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of the above games are less than $15.00 on amazon.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big thumbs up for Family Pastimes games. Our favorites are Princess and Granny's House.

Another publisher worth checking out is Peaceable Kingdom. We have their game Stack Up! which is a cooperative dexterity game that can be played at various levels of difficulty. I have also heard good things about their game Hoot Owl Hoot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
psychojosh13 wrote:
Plus the parents are probably all in the "fantasy and imagination are for babies" camp, which is generally more than a couple months of therapy is going to fix.

So what I'd like is another game to fill that niche, but simpler. Cooperative, with some modicum of challenge, but not too many rules to intimidate people who aren't used to non-mainstream games. Abstract theme preferred but not mandatory.

Max is great, but the "for babies" bit makes me hesitant to recommend it.

Castle Knights is also clearly aimed at kids, but it's pretty fun even with adults. You could adapt other dexterity games with a timer or goals like "at least n blocks" or "stack taller than this". I'm thinking Jenga or Bandu.

Cranium Hoopla is a cooperative trivia race against a timer. You might pull a subset of cards that work for families. (Some of the subjects will be unknown by the kids.) Or, you could adapt this approach to a variety of trivia cards.

Other trivia games that wouldn't require much adaptation:
Team Work for Kids
Guesstures

Good luck! I hope you'll follow up by reporting a little of what worked, what flopped, and why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe The Game? Somewhat similar to Hanabi, but totally themeless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghostbusters: Protect the Barrier Game would be a perfect fit. Very easy rules. Feels a little like Pandemic with the set collection replaced with simple pick up and deliver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not sure how challenging it will be, but maybe Captain Sonar could be a good fit? You could play the game turn-based so the pressure of the real time won't leave them bewildered at first so that once everyone knows what they're supposed to do and how to do it, you can slowly ramp them up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smiley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have often thought of trying "ESCAPE FROM ATLANTIS" as a cooperative game. Try to get everyone to the safety of an island by steering the sharks and other things away from boats. Then, after that session, play the game normally.
Hey, I just said I had thought of doing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Track down a copy of Break the Safe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mb
I second for Codenames - it has a cooperative mode. The mechanic is simple - like the classic game "Password".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic: The Cure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leo might be what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Brown
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I would take a look at Between Two Cities, a semi cooperative which encourages talking and negotiating with your neighbors. Kinda dry on theme, but there is a tiny learning curve on how points work in combinations which makes the first game disorienting if they haven't played this kind of game before. I consider this a great gateway game for adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic is really quite simple, and I've played it with fairly young children as well. They pick up on the rules easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters is a great coop. The rules are quite easy and I play it with my 6 year old who needs little direction as to what she needs to do. Despite being easy to learn, the game is really quite a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly what is the age range you are addressing? Plus one for Hanabi which might appeal to older kids or Beyond Baker Street (slightly more rules than Hanabi); Flash Point for younger kids (family rules if the theme isn't too off putting); Concept played casually (no scoring points) to hone communication skills....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Castle Panic is really quite simple, and I've played it with fairly young children as well. They pick up on the rules easily.

Oh yeah, that's a great one. The only tricky bit is getting the hang of trading to give people cards they'll be able to use when their turn comes around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh F
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
pusboyau wrote:
Firstly what is the age range you are addressing?

For the families that I've tried this with so far, the kids have been in the 12-15 range. I do work with some younger kids as well though, so a game that's more flexible would be good.

LurkingMeeple wrote:
Good luck! I hope you'll follow up by reporting a little of what worked, what flopped, and why.

If only I had the budget to buy them all and see what happens... From what everyone has posted here, it looks like Hanabi is probably my best starting point, and if that falls flat then I'll decide where to go next.

Thank you all for the suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.