4 Posts

Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ongoing abilities in the verse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Shaw
msg tools
Last night this question came up in our game -
If a card in the verse is scanned and revealed to have an ongoing ability, does that ability immediately go into effect while still in the verse or do ongoing abilities only matter once the card hits the combat zone?

I don't see anything about this in the rules so that makes me think that ongoing abilities would be working right away once revealed but another player argued that since a ship isn't striking from the verse that ongoing abilities wouldn't work until the card was in the combat zone as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geir Atle Hegsvold
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't find it in the rules, but my take on it is that ongoing effects trigger as soon as the card is revealed regardless of location.

If an effect only triggers at a certain location, the card will specify this with the appropriate keywords.

Btw, what was the card in question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is in the rules on p19:

Quote:
Some say “Ongoing:” which means it’s always
active. Some say “’Verse:” which means
the ability is only active while the card is in
the ‘Verse. And some say “Combat Zone:”
which means the ability is only active while
the card is in the Combat Zone.

That seems pretty obvious to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
page 19 in the rulebook:
Quote:
Many abilities tell you when they are active. Some say “Reveal:” which happens once when the card is first turned face-up.
Some say “Ongoing:” which means it’s always active.

I would take that to mean that once it is revealed, the ability starts its effect.

If it only applied in the Combat Zone, it would be labeled "Combat Zone:". If it only took effect when striking, it would say "Strike:"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.