Subject: Hedgerows -2 modifier when moving rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
Hi,
I'm still not 100% sure I have this rule correct - I find the following rules sentence somewhat ambiguous.

55.0 Hedgerows - 2nd para
Fire at Infantry or Guns is reduced (-2) for a hedgerow only if the target is adjacent to the hedgerow and the fire attack passes through that hedgerow. This reduced FP applies even if the target is moving, and in that case, the hedgerow negates the moving in the open modifier. However, target units do NOT get the benefit of the hedgerow when they move into or out of a hex on the opposite side of a hedgerow from a firing unit. They may also be considered moving in Open Ground in that case.

particularly "on the opposite side of a hedgerow from a firing unit"

Surely, when applying a hedgerow terrain modifier, the firer and target are always on "opposite" sides of the hedgerow ?!

Situation 1 : US moves into hex with marker. German fires with -2FP
Situation 2 : US moves into hex with marker. German fires with -2FP
Situation 3 : US moves into hex with marker. Does the US still get the -2FP benefit for the hedgerow?
Situation 4 : US moves into hex with marker. Does the US still get the -2FP benefit for the hedgerow?

I may be barking up the wrong tree here - as all these examples seem to share the same rationale. So when do targets NOT get the benefit when moving into a hedgerow hex, when fire is directed at them through that hedge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
United Kingdom
St Ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The underlined sentence is referring to the same hedgerow only. If you move on the opposite side of the same hedgerow an adjacent enemy is located, you don't get the benefit of the terrain. One way to think about it is the enemy is all set up in cover within the hedgerow but your squad just up and left the opposite side of the same hedgerow to move. If you're opposite sides of individual hedgerows then there's enough cover and distance for it to count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
Hi Michael,
Thx for that - the way you describe it makes it clear enough - and a more concise way of explaining it than the rulebook possibly
M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.