16 Posts

Small World» Forums » General

Subject: First game thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Played this for the first time today, and have a few thoughts that i would like to share.

I thought the game needs to be played a few times so that you can find out what sort of strategy works, and what sort of race/powers work best together

i agree with what some people have said on here, i wouldnt bother with the expansions until you have completely exhausted the base game...which leads me onto...

i played for the first time with 2(might have been more) expansions in, and the amount of combinations were a bit too much for a first time player, or even a long time player. There was just too much going on for someone new with the game

oh, and someone we played with got the craziest combination ever, which meant he had a +2 on each of his race cards he played, so he only needed to play one to take over parts of the map that only had one tile on(which was nearly all of them as we were at the end turn)

i think it could be a very good game, but a few of the players came away with negative experiences from it

certainly needs playing again before a decision to buy is made

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have it with all expansions.
What I always suggest to new players:
1]Pick cool looking race with a high population.
More dudes on the board means more attacking.
2]Don't hang-on to your civilization for too long. As soon as you've fully expanded (if you're only capturing one or two land per turn) it's time to go into decline.
3]Don't play king maker. Attack the player that needs to be attacked not a weak player that's having problems establishing themselves.

You can also just buy the app to see if you want the physical copy.
The app plays really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it's not an easy game to pick up on your own, but once you get the hang of it in a second playthrough, the interplay between the different races and classes is addicting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:
3]Don't play king maker. Attack the player that needs to be attacked not a weak player that's having problems establishing themselves.

This is kingmaking, or it will often (although perhaps not always) lead to kingmaking.

I have seen kingmaking defined as '"Although I cannot win, my actions determine who will" which sounds about right to me.

Also, 'needs to be attacked' is often a subjective matter that leads to petty diplomacy.

BGG defines Petty Diplomacy as

"n. a number of metagaming issues that arise in multiplayer (i.e. 3 or more player) games. These include kingmaking, bashing the leader, turtling, revenge, etc. Petty diplomacy problems can lead to accusations of excessive whining among the players. ("I am not the leader. He is!")"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:

I believe you should attack whoever it is in your best interest to attack, whether they are in first place or last place. Sometimes, attacking the weakest player gives you a better return than attacking the strongest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCid91 wrote:
N0mE wrote:

I believe you should attack whoever it is in your best interest to attack, whether they are in first place or last place. Sometimes, attacking the weakest player gives you a better return than attacking the strongest.

^ This. Play strategically in most games and you will find that attacking the player in the lead is not always the best course of action. Attack the most opportune target and get the most out of it.

to the OP, I agree that there is a lot to take in for first time players. I always suggest that using only the starter set race/ability combos to keep things a little easier to pick up. They are all listed on the handy cheat sheets that come with the base game which helps as well. Once you have played a few games and get the hang of it (it doesn't take long) then you can introduce the other races and abilities that offers a lot more combinations and randomness to what comes up each game.

Also, I try to avoid using the Underworld races and abilities for new players as they don't copy and paste over well to the base game. Several of them are specific to the Underworld and unless you are using that map, they are difficult, if not a waste to use (as their abilities would have no effect).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
oh, and i ended up with Passive Skeletons on one of my turns

could have cried

is it right that the race/powers are just randomly organized and placed down the edge of the board at the start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well 5 of them are randomly placed down the edge already attached. Others come into play as ones are taken from the list. You have to pay to "skip" over races on the list if you want to take one farther down that might be a better combo. When one is taken, they slide up and a new one is added to the bottom of the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:

could have cried

is it right that the race/powers are just randomly organized and placed down the edge of the board at the start?

You are never forced to choose any particular race. The worse case, you can always choose to take the 4th race (assuming Cursed in the first 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
darthnice wrote:
Kingtreelo wrote:

could have cried

You are never forced to choose any particular race. The worse case, you can always choose to take the 4th race (assuming Cursed in the first 4).

we were playing we had to pay for each race further up the chain, i was going for the cheapest option not really knowing what the race/effect was as i only had one more turn left to try and acquire points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:
darthnice wrote:
Kingtreelo wrote:

could have cried

we were playing we had to pay for each race further up the chain, i was going for the cheapest option not really knowing what the race/effect was as i only had one more turn left to try and acquire points
That sounds like a major issue. If everyone was taking random races you've lost a large chunk of the game.

A key mechanic in Small World is that you have to spend points to get strong race-power combinations. Each time someone does that the weaker combinations become more valuable. Then you have interesting situations where you get to choose between spending points on a strong combo or gaining instant points by taking a weak combo.

Remember, once you go in-decline you have an entire round to analyse the combos available and check the quick-reference card if you don't know what they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chardir wrote:
That sounds like a major issue. If everyone was taking random races you've lost a large chunk of the game.

A key mechanic in Small World is that you have to spend points to get strong race-power combinations. Each time someone does that the weaker combinations become more valuable. Then you have interesting situations where you get to choose between spending points on a strong combo or gaining instant points by taking a weak combo.

Remember, once you go in-decline you have an entire round to analyse the combos available and check the quick-reference card if you don't know what they do.
I don't think he was choosing random races and I think he was playing according to the correct rules. From the way he described it, Passive Skeletons were the top choice, aka the one you don't have to pay for. It was his final turn for that game, so he chose them without really looking at what the race and power actually do before picking them. Needless to say they did poorly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe it's a translation thing, but what power is "passive"? peaceful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
maybe it's a translation thing, but what power is "passive"? peaceful?
Probably, It's been awhile since I played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Proto Persona wrote:
chardir wrote:

I don't think he was choosing random races and I think he was playing according to the correct rules. From the way he described it, Passive Skeletons were the top choice, aka the one you don't have to pay for. It was his final turn for that game, so he chose them without really looking at what the race and power actually do before picking them. Needless to say they did poorly.
When I said random I meant, as you said, taking the race that is cheapest. If every player does that it's essentially random. Evaluating the race/power combos before taking one is a key part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
yeah, i wasnt actually choosing random races, its just that it was my first ever game and i wasnt quite sure how the combo would work out, but it worked really really bad compared to some of the others

it really didnt help that i had already lost so didnt really pick a combo that would help me much as i'd already given up at that point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.