Subject: Clarification: Warlord rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Dovan
Australia
Lugarno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a quick question to make sure I've been playing this card properly - regarding the action card Warlord's triskel action
Quote:
"During a clash with you involved, after a maneuver is performed: Place 1 exposed clan in this territory and choose who performs the next maneuver."

Does this mean that after having initiated a clash and taking an attack maneuver, playing this would let me place an extra clan (presumably one of mine) in the area and then choose myself (or someone else) to have another maneuver)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, although:
- the maneuver need not be an Attack maneuver, as stated on the card,
- the clan you place must be one of yours, as stated in the rules whenever you "place" a clan.

That allows you to chose who is the next player to go on with the clash resolution and so essentially have two maneuvers in a row or chose players to skip their maneuver...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Dovan
Australia
Lugarno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alright thanks for that Christian, excellent game by the way. I am thoroughly enjoying the emerging depth that it has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KarWai Chan
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
Dear Christian,

How about a situation where for instance I use immigration to move to an area with an opposing force and my intention is to attack. My opponent wants to use the warlord triskel action. However is my opponent allowed to do the warlord action before the attack maneuver is fully resolved? Or can the opponent do this before removing a action card or clan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Only after the attack is fully resolved, always.
That goes for the Raid too, so you take the risk that your opponent dumps his last Action card!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KarWai Chan
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
Dear Christian,

Thanks for your kind reply! Been playing it with my girlfriend yesterday. Played the game at Essen for the first time and bought it immediately.

I find the gameplay well-thought and the clashes elegant and strategic. The box is so big it must be for future expensions I hope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Chabai
Belarus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris wrote:
Yes, although:
- the maneuver need not be an Attack maneuver, as stated on the card,
- the clan you place must be one of yours, as stated in the rules whenever you "place" a clan.

That allows you to chose who is the next player to go on with the clash resolution and so essentially have two maneuvers in a row or chose players to skip their maneuver...

sorry, but where can I find out that second maneuver should not be attack? Text on the card says : "During a clash with you involved, after a maneuver is performed: Place 1 exposed clan in this territory and choose who performs the next maneuver." And nothing about "not attack action" on the card. Attack is maneuver according to the rules. Maybe I am missing something. Can you please give some clarification on this issue?
And btw, what is the usage of warlord then? Killing a unit and then immediately retreat? What is the point in this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if my message was not clear.
I meant that the maneuver doesn't need to be an attack, not that it must not be one.
So yes, it may be an attack, or a withdraw, or an Epic Tale maneuver.

Hope that's clearer, sorry for the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Chabai
Belarus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's pretty clear now, thanks ))
And thanks again for such a quick response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Lavenant
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, after reading this thread i'm still confused.
CHristian, suppose the Warlord card is in the hand of a defender with one clan in the territory at the begining of the clash. The offensive player attacks that defender and that leads to the loss of the only clan of that player (Warlord is his last action card in hand, he does'nt want to discard it):
- can warlord be played after the maneuver of another player?
- if yes, can the defender still play the warlord card at the end of that maneuver or shall we consider he's not involved anymore (no more clan)?

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat game by the way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartmoss wrote:
Well, after reading this thread i'm still confused.
CHristian, suppose the Warlord card is in the hand of a defender with one clan in the territory at the begining of the clash. The offensive player attacks that defender and that leads to the loss of the only clan of that player (Warlord is his last action card in hand, he does'nt want to discard it):
- can warlord be played after the maneuver of another player?
- if yes, can the defender still play the warlord card at the end of that maneuver or shall we consider he's not involved anymore (no more clan)?

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat game by the way

Lets see...

"During a clash with you involved"
check

"after a maneuver is performed"
Check

"Place 1 exposed clan in this territory"
just do what the card says.

"and choose who performs the next maneuver."
The condition was that the defender (in that case) needed to be involved in the clash - which he was. Since he now still has a clan in the region (the new one) he may immediately choose himself to do a maneuver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Lavenant
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
quick answer
check

clear ruling
check

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys,

Sorry to disappoint but that doesn't work here: if you do not have engaged clans in the conflicting territory you cannot play the Warlord. You are no longer involved.

Laurent, ton intuition était bonne!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm.. ok, so the status of being involved in a clash or not may change within a round of clash. I hope that does not lead to further problems...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's perfectly right, chieftain status changes on the fly. I'm not sure what you might call "problems" but it allows for some non-trivial tactical considerations...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris wrote:
Yes, that's perfectly right, chieftain status changes on the fly. I'm not sure what you might call "problems" but it allows for some non-trivial tactical considerations...

It was not about the chieftain status. It was about the status of being "involved" in a clash, and then not being involved anymore in said clash before the end of the resolution of the maneuvre that caused said loss. (The loss was caused because the player WAS involved in that same clash.

It works in the case of the warlord, of course. I'm just saying this might potentially cause other timing problems (i haven't played the game enough yet, but I definitely intend to )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, right, read too fast I think, sorry!

Think of it this way: you are involved in a clash as long as you have exposed clans in it.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Lavenant
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you Christian. "Warlord" is definitely a better card for the offensive player then (or a defensive player with at least 2 clans involved).
This wonderfull game is a game of timing. Maybe a "clash flow chart" is needed, an appendix to the future rulings document?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MistaBJ MistaBJ
msg tools
Thx for this topic.
We played our first Inis-game on friday and came up with exact that same question.

As it seems everybody is interpreting this card the same way.

But i must admit that i find this effect super strong. Not only that you will fortify your position in that area during an ongoing clash by putting 1 addiotional clan into the clash - No! You also get to choose, that you can do a 2nd manouver right away. To me this is super strong and will decide many clashes and games.

And refering to the other question. Yes that evolved-status may allways change during a clash, starting with your decision weahter you will put 1 clan in a citadel or not. If you decide to do so, and will end up with no exposed clans, than you are not evolved anymore in that clash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian St. Pierre
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm confused by the wording "exposed clan" does this mean a clan from any other area on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
MrGurbic wrote:
I'm confused by the wording "exposed clan" does this mean a clan from any other area on the board?

An exposed clan is a clan in the area where the clash is happening that isn't in a citadel.

Think of it like this, if it's possible for it to be removed during a clash, then it is exposed.

As far as the Warlord card goes, it means that you place one of the clans from your reserve into the area where the clash is occurring and you can't place it in a citadel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian St. Pierre
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I get how exposed and unexposed clans work. However, it is pretty confusing they way it's worded.

The card reads "During a clash with you involved, after a maneuver is performed: Place 1 exposed clan in this territory and choose who performs the next maneuver."

So..I place an exposed clan from the territory I'm already in...what?
The way its writtne makes it read, I am placing a clan from already existing exposed clans in the in the territory which is impossible and makes no sense.

It would be more clear if it read. Place a clan from your reserve into this territory as an exposed clan. If that is indeed what the card implies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrGurbic wrote:
Place a clan from your reserve into this territory as an exposed clan. If that is indeed what the card implies.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric L
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I play Warlord after I play The Fianna if The Fianna moved my last exposed clan out of the clashing territory?

The exact wording on Warlord sure leads me to believe I could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have clans in the clashing territory you cannot play the Warlord. Same as if you are attacked and lose your last clan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.