GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 52.16

3,860 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
24.3% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm going to get Pathfinder this week, but looking at the Marketplace here, there's a First and Second Edition. Is there a difference between the two, and how does one tell which edition it is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my understanding that the first ed had a lot of misprinted cards. Perhaps they were not misprinted, but at any rate there were a lot of changes made to the card text on many of the cards of the first edition. So, I'd recommend the 2nd printing over the first for that reason.

A caveat: corrected cards were available through the print on demand service for PACG. If you can establish that the previous owner of a first ed copy got those replacement cards, then my understanding is that there would not be a difference between that first ed with corrections and second ed set.

In terms of how to tell the difference between printings, 2nd ed copies are marked "second printing" in the fine print in the lower right hand corner on the back of the box, and in the bottom right corner on page 23 (the interior of the back cover) of the rule book. At least, my second printing is marked that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first printing was done in China and suffered from some print quality issues. The second printing (and the printing of all the other base sets and their expansions) was done in the U. S. Some, but not all of the errata was fixed and the print quality improved. Unfortunately, the cards printed in China are about 1/2 mm different in height, as well as having generally darker printed backs. Unless you sleeve your cards, mixing the print runs is not advised.

The boxes printed in China open at the top and say Printed in China on the back. The boxes printed in the U. S. open at the side and say Printed in USA on the back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
untitledFolder wrote:
The boxes printed in China open at the top and say Printed in China on the back. The boxes printed in the U. S. open at the side and say Printed in USA on the back.

@untitledfolder --> You mean the small boxes for the Character Add-on deck and Adventure deck boxes, right? I think the base set boxed all open the same way, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelter wrote:
untitledFolder wrote:

@untitledfolder --> You mean the small boxes for the Character Add-on deck and Adventure deck boxes, right? I think the base set boxed all open the same way, right?

Exactly right. That comment only applies to the smaller boxes.

The physical boxes used for the base set for the two editions are identical, except the ones from China do say Printed in China and the ones from the US do say Printed in US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So any Adventure pack or Character pack that says "Printed in China" is to be avoided?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get all second printing, printed in USA, go for that.

Edit: and yes, sorry, my comment was about the littler boxes, not the base set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Crikey, they don't make it easy... Ordered it with my LGS, for more than elsewhere, that's loyalty for you, and they don't even know which edition they'll get.

Where's the best place to order from in the UK? Direct from Paizo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you order from Paizo, they have long said that they only have 2nd Edition copies (except for the non-mint ding and dent stock). So, that guarantees you get 2nd Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, the essential information is:

1. First Ed and Second Ed have cards that are slightly different sizes. Enough that I would be unhappy playing with a mixed set.

2. The text changes between first and second ed are useful, but not game-breaking. We have enjoyed playing through the campaign three times on our first edition. You should check the FAQ and other errata.

3. The first edition card backs weren't very consistent in color. If you're especially sensitive to such things, that might be a problem. However, if that's the case, you'll probably get annoyed by nicks in your cards after some play, and you might feel compelled to sleeve.

4. I suspect the earlier promos match the first edition, not the second. I suspect later promos match the second edition, not the first.

In other words, your best option is all-2nd ed. Next best is all 1st-ed. Worst option is a mix of the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
4. I suspect the earlier promos match the first edition, not the second. I suspect later promos match the second edition, not the first.

All very sound advice. And the above is definitely true. The following promos are "First Edition Size"

Fire Sneeze
Poog of Zarongel
Blessing of Zarongel
Dance with Squealy Nord
Birdcruncher Crown
Grindylow
Horsechopper +1
Goblin Plate +1

These are the promo cards that were offered when Rise of the Runelords was first released. They were printed at the same time as all the first edition Rise of the Runelords cards by the same printer. When they printed a second edition, they did not print any new copies of these cards.

All other promo cards have been printed in the US and are "Second Edition Size".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.