New Bedford» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about the Money action in solo game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Lafrenière
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the Money action for captains in solo mode. It says in the rulebook that the Captains use an Action that gives money. In the example of page 15, it says that Starbuck can't use a building in the town tile. The General Store as the money symbol... so can't he go there ? Can someone explain this to me ?

Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the solo section of the rules it lists the buildings that are specifically considered "money" buildings for the AI captains (and how much they are considered to be worth for tie-breaking with the AI captains). The General Store is not one of the buildings on the list so it is not considered a money building for the AI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lafrenière
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the name of the buildings in the rulebook, but was not sure that they were exclusive to this rule !

Thanks for the quick answer !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorelboy wrote:
I saw the name of the buildings in the rulebook, but was not sure that they were exclusive to this rule !

Thanks for the quick answer !

No problem! Takes a little bit to get the solo rules down, but it is worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
100% correct here.

The reasoning is that if the general store counted as money, the captain would always be able to go. But then they wouldn't be competing for other spaces which would take away a lot of tension. Plus live players rarely use the General Store, and I tried to make the Captain feel as much like a live opponent as possible.

It would probably be helpful if I made a reference card with the money value, there just wasn't a good way to include it in the base game, since it would have meant adding a unique component.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
100% correct here.

The reasoning is that if the general store counted as money, the captain would always be able to go. But then they wouldn't be competing for other spaces which would take away a lot of tension. Plus live players rarely use the General Store, and I tried to make the Captain feel as much like a live opponent as possible.

It would probably be helpful if I made a reference card with the money value, there just wasn't a good way to include it in the base game, since it would have meant adding a unique component.

I used some very small round stickers I bought at an office supply store. I wrote the $ value for solo captains on them and applied them to the relevant buildings. Works like a charm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Wright
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:

Just getting into Solo (after many many plays) so I might just do this, as I missed the fact that the general store wasn't money in my first solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bold

Colorado
msg tools
reverendunclebastard wrote:
In the solo section of the rules it lists the buildings that are specifically considered "money" buildings for the AI captains (and how much they are considered to be worth for tie-breaking with the AI captains)...

I have been thinking about the list of money buildings and have been wondering why the Post Office is listed as $0. Unless someone manages to steal it again during the round using a special action etc., it would ultimately have a value of $2 (at rounds end). There must have been a logical reasoning but it is escaping me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinTheBold wrote:
I have been thinking about the list of money buildings and have been wondering why the Post Office is listed as $0. Unless someone manages to steal it again during the round using a special action etc., it would ultimately have a value of $2 (at rounds end). There must have been a logical reasoning but it is escaping me.

Well, strictly speaking, the post office doesn't give any money directly for taking the action. But it's listed as $0 to make that explicit, for a similar reason to the general store. It would drive the captain to use the Post Office more often than might be expected for a player, for a much less effective action, and it seemed best to eliminate that option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bold

Colorado
msg tools
Sivilized wrote:
KevinTheBold wrote:

Well, strictly speaking, the post office doesn't give any money directly for taking the action. But it's listed as $0 to make that explicit, for a similar reason to the general store. It would drive the captain to use the Post Office more often than might be expected for a player, for a much less effective action, and it seemed best to eliminate that option.

Thanks Nat, yes I agree that the solo game should have checks and balances that keep it interesting for those who play it. So the idea of assigning a value to certain buildings make perfectly good sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bold

Colorado
msg tools
Sivilized wrote:

I used some very small round stickers I bought at an office supply store. I wrote the $ value for solo captains on them and applied them to the relevant buildings. Works like a charm.

Had some fun and compiled my own list and present it here for everyone's consideration and feedback. If a building does not generate any money it is not listed (remember an AI Captain looking for money who doesn't find any then follows the next Captain's Order). I compiled two lists, the first shows buildings that have a set money value and the second list shows buildings that have a variable value and each must be analyzed to determine value. The Brewery and Post Office are only shown here because they have a "fixed" value of $0 (by rule) and should not be selected as a money building. The Refinery values only show the bonus money possible if an AI Captain were to sell his most valuable whale (the actual transaction would not occur).

SET VALUE BUILDINGS
Market (fixed): $6
Bank: $5
Lumber Mill (fixed): $5
Chandlery (fixed): $4
Insurance: $3
Brewery (fixed): $0
Post Office (fixed): $0

VARIABLE VALUE BUILDINGS
Customhouse: $ 0/4/6/10
Refinery: $ 0/2/4/8
Tryworks: $ 0/2/4/6
Tavern: $ 0/4/6
Perfumery: $ 0/3/5
Loading Dock: $ 0/1/2/3
Fire House: $ 0/2/3 (per each other Captain/Player)
Almshouse: $ 0/3
Cooperage: $ 0-??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinTheBold wrote:
Sivilized wrote:

Had some fun and compiled my own list and present it here for everyone's consideration and feedback. If a building does not generate any money it is not listed (remember an AI Captain looking for money who doesn't find any then follows the next Captain's Order). I compiled two lists, the first shows buildings that have a set money value and the second list shows buildings that have a variable value and each must be analyzed to determine value. The Brewery and Post Office are only shown here because they have a "fixed" value of $0 (by rule) and should not be selected as a money building. The Refinery values only show the bonus money possible if an AI Captain were to sell his most valuable whale (the actual transaction would not occur).

SET VALUE BUILDINGS
Market (fixed): $6
Bank: $5
Lumber Mill (fixed): $5
Chandlery (fixed): $4
Insurance: $3
Brewery (fixed): $0
Post Office (fixed): $0

VARIABLE VALUE BUILDINGS
Customhouse: $ 0/4/6/10
Refinery: $ 0/2/4/8
Tavern: $ 0/4/6
Perfumery: $ 0/3/5
Loading Dock: $ 0/1/2/3
Fire House: $ 0/2/3 (per each other Captain/Player)
Almshouse: $ 0/3
Cooperage: $ 0-??

Don't forget the Tryworks, as indicated in the solo rules it is worth the equivalent discount of returning the Right whales on the captain's ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bold

Colorado
msg tools
Yep, you're right, added Tryworks to list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.