Popular Tags: [View All]
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm a huge fan of GMT games. I just got my copy of my p500 order of Sekigahara, woohoo! The game looks fun.

Unfortunately, a couple of the gold blocks look like they were painted with a different gold color. One block in particular is really different. It is much closer to a yellow color that the rest of the gold pieces. There is some variation in the blocks which is fine. But these few stand out too much.

Has anybody else seen this issue with their copy?

Has anybody requested replacement parts from GMT before?

EDIT: Sorry I should have added pictures at the beginning but I have been so busy. (Too much work not enough games!!!!) Anyway, here are pics. Let's play spot the problem:

In this image, the top block on the left stack is bad. The middle block on the right is bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I repainted all my gold blocks.

I didn't care for the patina gold as it was not thick enough to cover the wood grain... several blocks were easily remembered prior to the new paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually there's extra blocks in their games. But I don't know about this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks. I wouldn't mind painting them too much, but not excited to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. No extra blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would write to GMT. Distinguishable blocks kinda defeats the purpose of a block wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanMark wrote:
I would write to GMT. Distinguishable blocks kinda defeats the purpose of a block wargame.

Yeah. I will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
anaturalharmonic wrote:

Has anybody requested replacement parts from GMT before?

i have requested replacement counters before and GMT took care of me within a week or so.

just take a picture of the blocks in question beside the "correct" blocks and i'm sure they'll either send you replacements for the bad ones or possibly an entire set of new blocks.

their customer service is outstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ward
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just stickered mine yesterday, and all of the blocks were definitely a consistent color. I did notice the box insert said 2nd printing in 2013..laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kohflot wrote:
Just stickered mine yesterday, and all of the blocks were definitely a consistent color. I did notice the box insert said 2nd printing in 2013..laugh

So the copy you just got was a p500 order and it said second printing 2013? Did you just get your copy in the mail from GMT? Or did you order from a third party?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ward
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was in the P500 for the third printing and received it Saturday. The box and rulebook indicate they're for the third printing (and 2016), but the thin cardboard insert that goes over the blocks says second printing and 2013.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kohflot wrote:
I was in the P500 for the third printing and received it Saturday. The box and rulebook indicate they're for the third printing (and 2016), but the thin cardboard insert that goes over the blocks says second printing and 2013.

As a consumer, I think in binary terms...that is, 1) They have the game in stock, or 2) they don't have the game in stock. I forget sometimes that the games are made of multiple pieces from multiple sources. They must have had blocks left over from the last print run on the shelf in the 'Sekigahara' section. This is probably obvious to others...but it is interesting to me.
blush
Certainly they are fine quality. I doubt painted blocks can go out of date for a long time. It makes me think of all the necessary hand-pick work that goes into shipping thousands of games a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ward
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Aye, definitely.. I'm not disappointed or anything.. just find it interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Five of my gold blocks had fingerprints on them. Someone at the factory picked them up before the paint was dry. I wonder how China is with fingerprint records...

Seriously, just message GMT through their web site and they'll send replacements. I did that a week ago and got my replacements yesterday.

Still, the gold blocks aren't super consistent. While I generally prefer wood, for gameplay purposes plastic probably would have been a better choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the look of mine (just arrived). They look like gold bars with a hint of wood grain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got mine a couple days ago, and the gold blocks all seem consistent. I always check all the sides and sticker the "worst" of them with the 2nd worst of the 2 adjoining sides on the "bottom". I don't think any of mine are distinguishable.

My insert was pretty mangled - the blocks underneath had slid up in shipping and now the upper part of the insert has an interesting curl to it, and it won't lay flat anymore. I'm thinking of junking it anyway as it doesn't appear possible to put bagged blocks into the box without putting them under the insert, which would be really annoying every time I pull it out to play.

I really like the presentation of the game though, it looks great on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
My blocks look as consistent as one could possibly expect from wood. I still play with a non-tournament legal wooden Scrabble set too. If one feels that their opponent might be metagaming the blocks, one could bring their own faction blocks to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Davis
United States
Missouri City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No problems with mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
I just got mine a couple days ago, and the gold blocks all seem consistent. I always check all the sides and sticker the "worst" of them with the 2nd worst of the 2 adjoining sides on the "bottom". I don't think any of mine are distinguishable.

My insert was pretty mangled - the blocks underneath had slid up in shipping and now the upper part of the insert has an interesting curl to it, and it won't lay flat anymore. I'm thinking of junking it anyway as it doesn't appear possible to put bagged blocks into the box without putting them under the insert, which would be really annoying every time I pull it out to play.

I really like the presentation of the game though, it looks great on the table.

Yes, I look for the worst side too. That is good advice. I will throw away the insert for this game. Most games I keep the insert but not this one.

Unfortunately, in my case it is 2 or 3 blocks that just look like they got a different gold paint mix. It isn't just one bad side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
My blocks look as consistent as one could possibly expect from wood. I still play with a non-tournament legal wooden Scrabble set too. If one feels that their opponent might be metagaming the blocks, one could bring their own faction blocks to use.

Haha. Yeah. Not really possible with this game. I'm sure I will be the only person I know that owns this game. :-)

And in my case I'm not over-analyzing the small flaws in the wood or "metagaming" or whatever. It is a blatantly obvious difference that you can't NOT see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got a reply from GMT. Looks like they will send me some new gold blocks. :-)

Yay. GMT is the best. Great games. Great service. And a California business!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can't believe this.

This is a game that I was looking at a good number of years ago but was put off by stories of inconsistent gold colour blocks.

I read all sorts of reports claiming the problem exists and others about how people had repainted their blicks.

It was enough to make me hesitate until the 1st edition went oop. The 2nd edition came and I missed that because I had other higher priority games to spend my money on.

But now I am ready to buy and have been eagerly waiting for the 3rd edition to hit the stores.

I am pretty disappointed that the problem still exists. I will still buy but sad that I'll have to paint the blocks.

My guess is that they aren't using different shades of paint, surely they wouldn't be that stupid, it is probably the same paint but it looks different of various cuts of wood.

Bit of a shame all the same.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
my copy was fine. my guess is the majority of the games that have shipped since the first edition were also fine.

it's not a given you'll have to paint the blocks - unless you prefer to do so.

sekigahara is the only block game i own so i'm not sure if this is a common problem with block games or perhaps it's a matter of the color choice.

regardless, if you end up with a bad batch, it's clear GMT will make it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Lyseng
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I'm not a fan of the gold color regardless of consistency and will paint the blocks a yellow that matches the cards and board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jordanlyseng wrote:
I'm not a fan of the gold color regardless of consistency and will paint the blocks a yellow that matches the cards and board.

To each his own but I like how the gold blocks look against the yellow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.