5 Posts

War of the Ring: Warriors of Middle-earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dead Men Movement Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
According to the Wraith's of Fear card: "Remove one or more figures from the Army of the Dead to move it up to an equal number of regions." If I want to leave the Army of the Dead in the same place, but just use the attack part of the card "Then you may eliminate on figure from the Army of the Dead to attack..." can I not remove any Dead Men and launch an attack from the same region they were already in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hammer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We had this question come up.

We ended agreeing that you do have to remove one figure to use the card. The reasoning was that I will go alone requires you to separate a companion from the fellowship before you can take advantage of the corruption heal. You don't have to actually move any regions, but I'd recommend moving onto the army your attacking just because you can attack them again after they retreat.

I did just notice something interesting, the text you provided says Remove not eliminate one or more Army of the Dead. Movement rules normally say you need to eliminate an Army of the Dead member, so this card might possible let you return them to the recruitment pile. I don't think it actually does as remove is like code for remove from the game, but it might.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting. I read the cards multiple times. The first game I concluded you had to remove a figure. But by the second game I changed my mind. The reason is:

1. Remove one or more figures to move it up to an equal number of regions. IE: If I am moving ZERO regions then I remove ZERO dead men.

2. Thematically, I don't understand why you would have to remove 2 figures just to attack once (and not move). The idea seems to be that the further you get away the weaker they are. But if you don't go away, why would you have remove a figure?

3. The ents require using one figure to move and one figure to attack. If you don't move then you don't lose a figure in the entwood. It seems like a similar concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason is correct. The Rulebook says that some effects are summarized on the cards and explained in detail in the Rulebook. Effects like the movement and attack of the Dead Men and the Ents are complex enough that they can't be fully explained in the space available on a card. However, once you understand those rules, the cards become enough to remind you of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Jason is correct. The Rulebook says that some effects are summarized on the cards and explained in detail in the Rulebook. Effects like the movement and attack of the Dead Men and the Ents are complex enough that they can't be fully explained in the space available on a card. However, once you understand those rules, the cards become enough to remind you of them.

This point seems worth emphasising as it's a bit of a departure from how things have worked to this point - usually card text trumps the rules in the book. It seems in the case of faction cards allowing movement and attacking, if the card and rules don't agree exactly (or there's room for interpretation) we should go by the rules rather than taking the cards literally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.