Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu» Forums » General

Subject: Lore question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Williams
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had this discussion while playing Pandemic Cthulhu tonight: Isn't Yog-Sothoth the big bad in the Cthulhu mythos? It seems weird that the world only ends when Cthulhu wakes up rather than Yog-Sothoth. Thoughts? If anyone knows more about the mythos and could answer it, it would help settle this debate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmb
Cthulhu is a great old one and Yog Sothoth is an outer God, meaning IT is cast out far beyond the reach of Earth. But the real big bad is actually Azathoth, the demon sultan, the source of all... so terrible that it is kept slumbering by a circle of other outer gods that eternally play their infernal flutes to prevent Azathoth from awakening.

But outer gods are indifferent to us while Cthulhu once dominated this planet. A number of the big bads in the game are "greater" than Cthulhu, I suppose an argument could be made that Cthulhu is among the ones who would pose the greatest direct threat to mankind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, when Azathoth wakes up, we don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Williams
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the description! I had wondered myself about Azathoth, since in Elder Signs he's the only ancient one who you cannot let wake up (because as rightly also mentioned here, when Azathoth wakes up, we don't).

The whole discussion sprang up because the other two people I played with both have read much more of the lovecraftian books than I have, while I've played more derivative material. One of them mentioned that Yog-Sothoth would be "lording over" Cthulhu (since he's the grandfather) and more capable of ending the world, but I figured BGG might have a more detailed answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Williams
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the better question would be why doesn't Azathoth end the game when awoken? He just removes three cultists from the supply, Seems a bit underwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clost
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It honestly must play off name recognition. You either have Reign of Cthulhu and then beginners asking "why is Cthulhu lame and not the game finisher? and Reign of Azathoth doesn't get the same crowd.

Yog is the keeper of gates and magic. He's definitely a bigger bad in the greater sense but that isn't to say Cthulhu is tiny in comparison. Cthulhu is just more..a physical being / in this plane?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I was thinking that the Mythos & such as I know it would be accurately represented in this game but after thinking about it I realize that the "Lore" wasn't really given much thought which is okay with me.

I like this game pretty much as it is and my wife, who is hesitant to play Eldritch Horror, will play this game to scratch that Lovecraftian itch (which hardly exists with her to begin with).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
My take on it.

As others have said, our universe exists in a dream of Azathoth that were he ever to awaken we would be blinked out of existence.

Yog-Sothoth is an Outer God as well, one who is omniscient among other things. Lovecraft thought to call his mythos Yog-Sothery. You could suppose that while Yog-Sothoth must be an incredibly powerful being, orders of magnitude more powerful than a mere alien like Hastur, Ithaqua, Cthulhu, Tsathoggua, etc, its ability to influence things in the material world are either difficult for it, or it just doesn't care that much (or both). Indeed in some stories Yog-Sothoth was quite willing to communicate with persons powerful enough to encounter it. It is not a murderous entity.

Nyarlathotep is also an Outer God, but is the most capable of all of them. He is awake and active. Perhaps he is more like the DC "Joker" in that he doesn't seem to want to destroy humanity (Batman), just enjoys screwing with us (Batman).

So what is Cthulhu? Just an exceptional specimen of an alien race that came to Earth. There are other star spawn and there are other exceptional aliens like Tsathoggua and Ithaqua. You could more think of them as demigods compared to true godlike beings of Yog-Sothoth and Nyarlathotep.

Why is he the most famous instead of Nyarlathotep or Yog-Sothoth? I think that's because his image is much more relatable than most mythos monsters. It's a dragon with an octopus face. Compared to Y-S's mass of spheres and Nyar's many varied avatars.

Of course Cthulhu waking and coming into his full power is no picnic, a sort of drive the entire world insane telepathically sorta deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmb
When I think about it, when cultists "awaken" a big bad in the game, that could be likened to communing with it. Yog Sothoth has been communed with in the books, an example of those results being the Dunwich Horror. Azathoth was prominently mentioned in the Dreams in the Witch House, but it was not about awakening them.

Yog Sothoth IS awake and perpetually aware but horrifically indifferent. Azathoth can't be awakened, but he can be channeled in a sense. For the sake of the game, an argument could be made that the rituals don't "awaken" the big bads, just successfully communes with them. Even Nyarlathotep could probably be communed with and convinced to aid the cultists with his demented machinations.

Or it could be that beings like Yog Sothoth could simply never fully manifest on Earth as they're outer gods, actively banished to outer realms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Horrifically indifferent" may be my favourite phrase and I am going to try to use it in ever day life.

Loving this thread guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M (Grey Areas Gaming)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
"Horrifically indifferent" may be my favourite phrase and I am going to try to use it in ever day life.

Loving this thread guys!

I, too, was horrifically indifferent when I first saw this thread, but I'm really enjoying it now! Tell us more people! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.