$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.5% of Goal | left

Support:

CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
First, what kinds of games do you generally like to play? My categories are loosely based on BGG's subdomains. Multiple answers are allowed. However try to stick to the "generally like to play" idea. In other words, if you think Chess is a fun game but only play it once a year, I don't think you should check that box.

Poll
What types of games do you generally like to play?
Strategic (Euros, lower randomness)
Heavy economic (18xx games, Splotter games)
Wargames (Traditional conflict simulation)
Dudes on a map (Ameritrash, a different kind of conflict simulation)
Thematic (Narrative driven, also called Ameritrash)
Cooperative games (Win as a team, can include semi-coops)
Customizable (Collectable card games, Living card games etc)
Abstract (Chess, Go, Shogi, etc)
Family games (Light and simple rules, more randomness)
Party games (Simple rules, usually for larger groups)
      142 answers
Poll created by skutsch

How many of these types of games do you generally play?

Poll
How many of these types of games do you generally like to play?
      111 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Now what's your absolute favorite type to play?

Poll
What is your absolute favorite type of game to play?
Strategic (Euros, lower randomness)
Heavy economic (18xx games, Splotter games)
Wargames (Traditional conflict simulation)
Dudes on a map (Ameritrash, a different kind of conflict simulation)
Thematic (Narrative driven, also called Ameritrash)
Cooperative games (Win as a team, can include semi-coops)
Customizable (Collectable card games, Living card games etc)
Abstract (Chess, Go, Shogi, etc)
Family games (Light and simple rules, more randomness)
Party games (Simple rules, usually for larger groups)
      123 answers
Poll created by skutsch

So are you a gamer of broad interests or do you focus on only a few types of games? I was curious because I see my interests as fairly broad, except for party and family games. I've noticed that some folks on here seem to stick to just one or two types of games (only Family games, only wargames, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where would you categorize heavier non euro games, like Glory to Rome or Five Tribes? They're not euro or thematic, but definitely not family weight. Thoughts?

A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted on 7.

Although I said yes co-ops even though I am fairly done with that genre. But I voted no for party games and abstracts even though there are some I play.

My favorite are mid level Euros

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Where would you categorize heavier non euro games, like Glory to Rome or Five Tribes? They're not euro or thematic, but definitely not family weight. Thoughts?

A

I would call them Strategic/Euros.

I disagree that Five Tribes is not a Euro. What else to call the darn thing? Cards and meeples on a map and special abilities from the cards that you get from the meeples, sounds like a Euro to me.

Glory to Rome is tougher. It's not a Euro, too random, and totally card based. However the BGG category is "Strategic" so I'd stick with that and lump it in there. Not a perfect fit but there will always be those edge cases. (I'd do the same thing with his other big game, Innovation.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I called them strategic as well, but you're right, never perfect categories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Glad to see that the polls basically agree 100 % with me so far #FeelingIncluded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where would you stick stuff like The Republic of Rome or Kremlin?

Thematic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Where would you stick stuff like The Republic of Rome or Kremlin?

Thematic?

Never played, you're on your own!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thip wrote:
Glad to see that the polls basically agree 100 % with me so far #FeelingIncluded ;)

Me too, generally. Although my wargame habit, of course, is not that popular here.

It's interesting that nobody plays 8 or 9 kinds of games. It's either 7 or ALL kind of games. I wonder who these people are who generally play all kinds of games. Assuming they really meant more than once a year for each kind, that's a lot of party games mixed in with the 18xx games and wargames.

I thought I was pretty broad at 5. I left off abstracts because although I like them I rarely play them. I generally dislike party games and am meh about light games. I'm interested in heavy economic games but I've only played Food Chain Magnate a few times so I didn't think I could check that box off. As for coops, I'm willing but not especially interested. I prefer to compete with other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for War Games and Family Games. I play a lot of solo war games and have slowly traded away my heavier euro games I use to play solo. I also picked Family Games because I play a lot of these with my wife and our families.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I left off Abstracts, Ameritrash dudes on a map, and wargames. Though we have a few abstract games, I didn't think it counted as regular playtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Your second poll was ambiguous. The text above says "...do you generally play?", but the poll asks, "...do you generally like to play". I generally only play one type of game (euros), but I generally like to play two types: euros and coops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Give me Splotter or give me death!"

Well, that might be a tad extreme, but the heavier the better for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was confused on the second poll, so I didn't vote on that one. I generally play strategy/euro style games and co-ops, though I prefer co-ops less than competitive. I guess I just naturally drift towards euros because that's what appeals to me so I haven't tried many other categories, but I'm definitely open to branching out if the opportunity presents itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Skutch polls without the result-warping bacon option...and no desire to see it.

This once again confirms I am somewhat of an oddball, and even a couple of categories I didn't choose, but am starting to warm up to are niche-within-a-niche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott HillJennings
United States
Cornelius
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The third question was surprisingly hard for me. I prefer the strategic and "thinky" nature of Euros but it is hard for me to get them to the table unless they are more on the thematic side and have at least a small element of luck (members of my group tend to not want to play a game again if they don't at least compete). I think I need to wade them into the Euro waters by introducing mechanics in somewhat lighter versions before diving fully in. Back to the poll though, if the game is well designed and fun I will play it. There is a time and place for every style of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.