Subject: Rain ends the race before 3 laps are up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
We had 6 players, and Don hauled out Thunder Ally from the library. Don is a big GMT fan, doing a P500 of almost all their games, except someone mentioned this game didn’t have a P500. He had heard good things about it, and he read the rules to us.

I was in the pole position, and with the first move, I thought that a solo movement of 8 (and taking a purple permanent hit) was the best move. In fact, I probably should have drafted everyone along, since a pack of cars soon overtook me. Everyone was playing the game cooperatively, lining up behind other cars opportunistically and riding the draft movement.

Craig had manoeuvred himself to a good position, but a yellow flag event card forced everyone into the start positions again.

By turn 3, Greg and Tim were entering the pits since they had 3 tokens, while I delayed entering the pits until turn 4. But the first rain hit, and with a second rain card, the game would end instantly which changed everyone’s attitude. Greg had a 4 hit car drifting along with the pack and did not go into the pits. Craig was unhappy about how he used to be first, then on entering the pits, he was behind again, and how he had the lead, the yellow flag would force a restart.

About 2 ½ laps in, the second rain hit. I had just pushed Tim into first with a draft movement card pushing up a whole line of cars, which meant Tim finished first, good enough for the team victory!

Scores:
Tim 118 (1st, 7th and 11th + 1 turn leader),
Greg 110 (4th, 6th and 13th + 1 turn leader),
Mark 105 (3rd, 9th and 15th),
Norbert 104 (5th, 10th and 14th + 1 turn leader),
Craig 99 (2nd, 16th and 17th + 2 turn leader),
Don 94 (8th, 12th and 18th).

Tim is purple with the lead car by a sector. Greg is red, Mark is blue, I am yellow, Craig is green and Don is black. Don's last car is not in the picture, it was so far out of the race.

I know Don and Greg enjoyed the game, but I’m not a fan of those games that resets the board quite this often. I get that this game is a simulation of NASCAR racing, but it seemed to me all the effort you spend jockeying around is undone by event cards. I think the mechanics were easy, and using the pit to remove 3 wear tokens is easy to understand. Still, it has an almost chaotic feel to it, but perhaps if you take the attitude that if you embrace the changes and just adapt, it might be okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You must embrace the chaos.

And it did have a prolonged P500 run. (About 3 years)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
I know Don and Greg enjoyed the game, but I’m not a fan of those games that resets the board quite this often. I get that this game is a simulation of NASCAR racing, but it seemed to me all the effort you spend jockeying around is undone by event cards. I think the mechanics were easy, and using the pit to remove 3 wear tokens is easy to understand. Still, it has an almost chaotic feel to it, but perhaps if you take the attitude that if you embrace the changes and just adapt, it might be okay.

Have you watched a NASCAR race? Chaos and these kinds of sudden changes are part of it. The game does a pretty good job of simulating the feel & overall flow of a superspeedway race. The trick is in jockeying yourself to be in a good position to survive the chaos & be ready to take advantage of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:

Have you watched a NASCAR race? Chaos and these kinds of sudden changes are part of it. The game does a pretty good job of simulating the feel & overall flow of a superspeedway race. The trick is in jockeying yourself to be in a good position to survive the chaos & be ready to take advantage of it.

I must confess I have never watched a race from start to finish. I'll have to pay more attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.