13 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noctis city rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card for placing the capital city states you get bonus points for every adjacent ocean.
Looking at the map it seems that There Can Be Only One, at most.
Is there anything I'm missing here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narciso Jaramillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
If you're referring to the Capital card, that's different from Noctis City. Capital uses the special white city tile, which can be placed anywhere a city can be legally placed. Noctis City is placed by the Noctis City card, and uses an ordinary city tile, which must be placed on the Noctis City hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh.
I was certain they are one and the same, but you are right, it does not say so anywhere.
Thank you, that makes much more sense now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not alone. We placed the white capital token as Noctis City, and then became very confused when one of us drew the Capital card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaneXtopher wrote:
You are not alone. We placed the white capital token as Noctis City, and then became very confused when one of us drew the Capital card.

same here but it became obvious only when looking at both cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be an optimal spot on the board to play this, and to play it as your first city. There are also cards that allow you to break the placement rules when playing future oceans. I got four ocean tokens around Noctis on my second game.

Really having a lot of fun with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which card allows you to break the rules and get a fourth ocean tile near the city? That sounds a little suspect to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Artificial Lake lets you place an ocean on an area NOT reserved for oceans. Note, however, that Capital doesn't really give more points for oceans than greeneries. Theoretically, the Capital surrounded with 6 oceans gives just as many VP:s as it would if surrounded with greeneries. Sometimes you're tempted to place it beside the oceans even if it would actually be worth more points beside those three greeneries. A couple of times I've placed the Capital without connection to any ocean at all, and scored a lot of points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Made exactly the same mistake in our game last night (our first), thinking that the Capital card/tile was essentially a 'better' version of Noctis City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it true, though, that the Capital gets 1VP for oceans in addition to the normal 1VP for greenery? Thus the Capital doesn't NEED to be placed next to oceans to score, but doesn't lose points for ocean tiles the way a normal city would. That's been our interpretation.

And as long as I'm in a thread titled Noctis City, we've been playing that nothing other than Noctis City (played by the card) can go in that space. Is this correct? If not, what does one do if the Noctis City card is played and the hex is occupied?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
Isn't it true, though, that the Capital gets 1VP for oceans in addition to the normal 1VP for greenery? Thus the Capital doesn't NEED to be placed next to oceans to score, but doesn't lose points for ocean tiles the way a normal city would. That's been our interpretation.

And as long as I'm in a thread titled Noctis City, we've been playing that nothing other than Noctis City (played by the card) can go in that space. Is this correct? If not, what does one do if the Noctis City card is played and the hex is occupied?

You are correct on both counts. The Noctis City space is a reserved space, thus nothing can go there unless it specifically says so (as the Noctis City project card does). And yes, the Capital is a city (and thus scores for greenery) that also scores for oceans. (confirmed here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust no one
badge
ümlaüt
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:

It took me a couple minutes to find this one when I went back to look. I thought I remembered some statement regarding this question, but it isn't in the main text. It is in the labeled image of the game board. They call out ocean and reserved city spots there and indicate that no other tiles may be placed there (of course excepting any card that specifically contradicts that mandate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imyourskribe wrote:
Legomancer wrote:

It took me a couple minutes to find this one when I went back to look. I thought I remembered some statement regarding this question, but it isn't in the main text. It is in the labeled image of the game board. They call out ocean and reserved city spots there and indicate that no other tiles may be placed there (of course excepting any card that specifically contradicts that mandate).

Yep, I see it now. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.