Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my name is Paul Grogan and welcome to the second in a series of sneak preview articles for the expansion to Alchemists, The Kings Golem. Last time, I gave you an overview of the expansion and explained how to read a book, a very useful life skill. In this preview, I’m going to be covering the first three modules. Sounds like a lot? Well, modules 1 & 2 are easy peasy...

Module 1: Startup Funding

With this module, you do not start with the usual 2 gold pieces, 1 favor card, and 2 ingredients. Instead, you will be dealt 4 startup cards at random and you choose 2 of them to keep. The icons depicted on these cards determine what you start the game with.

Startup cards can contain a range of things, from gold pieces, ingredients, favor cards, a book token (see Preview 1), a starting reputation modifier, or even starting the game with an artifact at the cost of a lot of reputation (as rumours fly about where you acquired such an item).

An example of 4 startup cards is on the left.

Module 2: Busy Days

When setting up the game with this module, create a seeded stack of randomly chosen order space boards. Turn the top board of the stack face up and place it over the base game's order spaces. These will be the order spaces for the first round. Also, reveal the next board of the stack so that you can see what the order spaces will be next round.

The new order spaces offer more opportunities, but many of these come with costs. As in the base game, the costs are on the left and the benefits are on the right. If you cannot pay the cost, you cannot choose that order space.
Some costs include paying reputation, others even cost you an action cube for that round. Some of the order boards even contain Approval tokens - these are only used when playing with The Golem Project expansion, so if you are not, these order boards should not be used.

Module 3: The Royal Encyclopedia

Remember in the base game when you did some tests and kept getting the same results? That was bad right? Well, not any more!

This module offers you a new venue for publishing your alchemical insights. When it is your turn to use the Publish Theory action space, you may use that action to publish or endorse an article in the royal encyclopedia instead of a regular theory. You write the theory onto the new Theory board, shown on the left.

The difference between regular theories and encyclopedia articles is that encyclopedia articles are about a certain aspect. To publish a theory, choose one of the aspects (red, green, or blue) that does not yet have an article written about it.

Then, take 2 result tokens in that color and place them on the corresponding circles of the encyclopedia board. Flip them to show the signs you want to write about. Then, below each result token, place 2 ingredient tokens. The article must be about 4 different ingredients.
Here’s an example to help you understand...

The article on the right says that scorpion and mandrake root contain Red -, while toad and fern contain Red +.

The rest of the rules for publishing theories are the same; other players can endorse them, you gain reputation, and they will be checked for correctness at the end of the game.

You can also hedge on an article just like with a normal publishing attempt, but you hedge against an ingredient, not an aspect. The coloured seal you use determines which of the four ingredients you have placed you are not sure about. Notice that one of them has a white border - well, you get a new white seal just for that.

So, in the example here, if I’d used my Green seal on it, that means I am not sure about the Scorpion.

There are a lot more rules about this part of the game, how debunking works, etc, but hopefully you get the rough idea. The rulebook has the full details.

Tune in next time for the final part of the preview where I cover Module 4. Warning! You may need to drink a Blue + potion before reading it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

Tune in next time for the final part of the preview where I cover Module 4. Warning! You may need to drink a Blue + potion before reading it...

Potion on standby...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iasonas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Alchemists is a masterpiece of a game.
I'm not sure i would like to make it even more complex and have even more rules to explain though.
Nevertheless i am intriqued by the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I didn't understand why you would ever publish an encyclopedia article that has four ingredients of the same sign (e.g., A, B, C, D, all red plus). If that is correct, then E, F, G, H must be red minus, so why not publish A, B red plus and E, F red minus?

But the answer is that you might be able to hedge the former better than the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, we also don't know yet how many ingredient tokens are availablein the game, so you might run out of one ingredient token (just like you might not be able to publish a theory because the achemical is already used).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:
David, we also don't know yet how many ingredient tokens are availablein the game, so you might run out of one ingredient token (just like you might not be able to publish a theory because the achemical is already used).

I suppose that it's possible the tokens are limited. This image only shows one of each type, but that doesn't make much sense because then how can all three articles be published?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the base game once and I already want this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hoping the golem module is awesome, im slightly underwhelmed so far (just my humble opinion after all)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Hoping the golem module is awesome, im slightly underwhelmed so far (just my humble opinion after all)

It doesn't look groundbreaking so far, I agree on that. But it looks like it shakes things up just enough to enrich replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Preview 3 has just been posted. Module 4 contains more stuff than the other modules put together and I only just scratch the surface of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Faso74it wrote:

I suppose that it's possible the tokens are limited. This image only shows one of each type, but that doesn't make much sense because then how can all three articles be published?

There are two tokens of each type, so there's a real chance that the tokens you want to publish with are taken already. Source: Game on my table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heilz wrote:
There are two tokens of each type, so there's a real chance that the tokens you want to publish with are taken already. Source: Game on my table

Though if you want to publish about the third aspect of an ingredient, you might as well just publish that ingredient - provided you trust existing publications, of course...

It also means the new publications share a degree of component-limitation with the existing ones, though the exact details of resolving it differ - rather than having to debunk an existing publication to free up the components you want, instead you can (and sometimes have to) learn more about the other ingredients instead so you have a second suitable pair.

I think the limitation makes sense and fits well with the rest of the game, both thematically and mechanically. That doesn't mean it won't be frustrating when someone else publishes the second aspect of Toad just before you were going to publish the third, but that does fit the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.