Subject: Pocket RB - State of the rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking to grab a copy of this as my main RB is hopelessly out of date (don't own any Action Packs or AoO, and can't get US paper sized here for replacement pages).

Problem is, I've been hearing that not all the rules are in all of the copies (specifically HP Finn updates).

Are there multiple versions of the PRB out, and what's included above and beyond a vanilla copy of the 2ed. RB?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
deathninja wrote:
Looking to grab a copy of this as my main RB is hopelessly out of date (don't own any Action Packs or AoO, and can't get US paper sized here for replacement pages).

Problem is, I've been hearing that not all the rules are in all of the copies (specifically HP Finn updates).

Are there multiple versions of the PRB out, and what's included above and beyond a vanilla copy of the 2ed. RB?

Thanks.

It is pretty much a straight reprint of the 2nd edition. They really didn't take any effort with it at the time. No updates are in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
deathninja wrote:

Thanks.

It is pretty much a straight reprint of the 2nd edition. They really didn't take any effort with it at the time. No updates are in it.

I believe it includes _all_ replacement pages, but no separate errata. Also, it doesn't include Ch. H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
If you do NOT own the Chapter F (North Africa) or Chapter G (PTO) rules, the pocket book has them.

I have just returned to ASL after a long break, and I discovered I have both a 1993-era Avalon-Hill ASL rule (with Chapter F and G from that time) as well as a 2000s era MMP Rulebook (without those chapters).

In my research, I have been told by reliable and extremely knowledgeable sources that the changes between the 90s era rules that I have and the modern rules is not game-breaking.

If anything, the newer versions go to good lengths to make Overrun and Off-board artillery more understandable and playable.

For reading around the house while on the couch, the pocket book is perfect. For having at table-side, open, the 3-ring binder is your guy still.

Don't throw away your old rules, they are still quite applicable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
It is still a good buy. I just wish MMP had taken the time and effort to make it a bit better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nadir_E wrote:
I believe it includes _all_ replacement pages, but no separate errata. Also, it doesn't include Ch. H.

I can't find the thread at the moment over at Gamesquad, but I believe someone found that there was one set of replacement pages (like from AP 2 maybe?) that weren't incorporated, but the changes on them were so minor it's not particularly consequential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tcaalaw wrote:
Nadir_E wrote:

I can't find the thread at the moment over at Gamesquad, but I believe someone found that there was one set of replacement pages (like from AP 2 maybe?) that weren't incorporated, but the changes on them were so minor it's not particularly consequential.

All the replacement pages that have been published as paper for the 2nd Edition are in the Pocket RB, That includes the pages from Armies of Oblivion, Action Pack #4, and HP.

What was missing form early printings was chapter J, and the 1992 replacement pages for pages F1\F2. But of those should be included if one orders a new one from MMP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Will - I have kept my main RB up to date using the sticky errata you can get from the Texas ASL site. It takes sometime to do if you are starting from scratch, and as I keep my pages in plastic wallets the end results are good.

I am tempted by the smaller rulebook - but I know my main book is up to date. Just added the extras from the Finnish module that are not in the replacement pages, so now I am as up to date as you can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klasmalmstrom wrote:
All the replacement pages that have been published as paper for the 2nd Edition are in the Pocket RB, That includes the pages from Armies of Oblivion, Action Pack #4, and HP.

What was missing form early printings was chapter J, and the 1992 replacement pages for pages F1\F2. But of those should be included if one orders a new one from MMP.

Thanks, Klas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if it's got Chapter J I'm good to go? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klasmalmstrom wrote:
Tcaalaw wrote:
Nadir_E wrote:

Hmm... my copy includes the F1(92) and F2(92) pages, but no Chapter J (Deluxe ASL).

Were there two separate printings to incorporate the missing pages? Is there another way to identify which print run of the Pocket RB I have?

EDIT: PRB purchased on 12/10/15 from CSI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Largo68 wrote:

Hmm... my copy includes the F1(92) and F2(92) pages, but no Chapter J (Deluxe ASL).

Were there two separate printings to incorporate the missing pages? Is there another way to identify which print run of the Pocket RB I have?[/q]
Hm, perhaps then there are three version around.

#1. No F1/F2 from 92 and no Chapter J.
#2. F1/F2 from 92 and but no Chapter J.
#3. F1/F2 from 92 and Chapter J.

I have a #2 , btw, from about this time last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buehler
United States
Hillsdale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klasmalmstrom wrote:
Hm, perhaps then there are three version around.

I have a #2 , btw, from about this time last year.

I just confirmed that I also have #2.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Burden
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does not include chapter H. I do believe from what I have read in other forums, that MMP is planning on releasing a pocket sized version of Chapter H sometime in the future. When that will be is anyone's best guess, I am still waiting to get the over-lay packet that was discussed a few years ago in various forums.
The other aspect of these pocket sized books,that I have trouble with, is the print size is much smaller and for me(with my old eyes) much more difficult to read. Not much I can do about it, even with my glasses sometimes it's a battle to see what is written.

Best wishes,
turks1966
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to guess that the Ch. H book isn't going to happen until the Italian and French modules are re-released (2-3 years away). I would be happy to be wrong, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if the errata was incorporated...they would've made a TON of money more...

How many players haven't bothered to enter errata...A LOT I would presume and for $40 to have "someone do it for you" would be a no brainer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:
I think if the errata was incorporated...they would've made a TON of money more...

How many players haven't bothered to enter errata...A LOT I would presume and for $40 to have "someone do it for you" would be a no brainer.
The aim of MMP is not to create a different edition of the RB incorporating the errata.
Otherwise, some players would whine that they should have to purchase the better pocket version - and there would be additional confusion.
The errata are listed in the pocket version, so it is quite easy to incorporate them (or, more simply, look them up).

I do hope that a 3rd edition will see the light of day, with some improvements - perhaps with a simultaneous binder and pocket version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zartan Madinski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
ASLChampion wrote:

The aim of MMP is not to create a different edition of the RB incorporating the errata.
Otherwise, some players would whine that they should have to purchase the better pocket version - and there would be additional confusion.
The errata are listed in the pocket version, so it is quite easy to incorporate them (or, more simply, look them up).

I do hope that a 3rd edition will see the light of day, with some improvements - perhaps with a simultaneous binder and pocket version.

Since all the multitude of errata are not incorporated into the pocket rulebook it means that every time you consult a rule you have to say to yourself "hey I wonder if there are any errata that affect this section" and then go look in the errata section. This makes rule lookups a tedious two-step process. Personally, I don't think it was worth printing a new RB edition unless it was going to at least be updated with the errata.

The only way currently to have a truly updated rulebook is to start with the binder version, collect all the various printed replacement pages and add-on pages and then apply the dozens and dozens of sticky errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:

Depending on what you mean by "incorporated" ... A section of errata (as of June, 2015) is included in its own section of the index (3 pages) in the SC RB. For myself, I went through the actual rulebook and penciled in a star next to every rule with errata in this section, then bookmarked the errata section with a book dart.

Quote:

I can confirm (just looked at what's on our shelf) #3 is what is currently in stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarmao wrote:
Robin wrote:
ASLChampion wrote:

Since all the multitude of errata are not incorporated into the pocket rulebook it means that every time you consult a rule you have to say to yourself "hey I wonder if there are any errata that affect this section" and then go look in the errata section. This makes rule lookups a tedious two-step process. Personally, I don't think it was worth printing a new RB edition unless it was going to at least be updated with the errata.

The only way currently to have a truly updated rulebook is to start with the binder version, collect all the various printed replacement pages and add-on pages and then apply the dozens and dozens of sticky errata.
If you are smart enough to handle a pencil, you can write the errata down in your pocket rulebook, like you do in the binder rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zarmao wrote:
Since all the multitude of errata are not incorporated into the pocket rulebook it means that every time you consult a rule you have to say to yourself "hey I wonder if there are any errata that affect this section" and then go look in the errata section. This makes rule lookups a tedious two-step process.

One could just make a little note ("E" e.g.,) next to the rule if there is errata to it - that should make the two-step process into a one-step process a vast majority of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.