49.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
89 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Is it Sacrilege to say the BGG Threads stink compared to those of Consimworld? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: complaint [+] poking_sticks_at_badgers [+] [View All]
Andrew Franke
United States
Elkton
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious. The number of Trolls, inane babble, White Knights, Insults and general stupidity of some forums here about things like Up Front where the number of "Legal Experts" stuns me. I am curious why we simply have so many flame threads as opposed to actual threads dealing with gaming?

This was started in response to Is it sacrilege to say the CSW threads stink? Someone suggested a similar topic and I obliged.

The Big question will be if the thread Natsi's or Admins close it when they let The former still continue at 26 pages and going strong? Personally this is what interests me most. Can you start a discussion about the problems at BGG and not get banned or Shut down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least here things are threaded so you can ignore threads (like the monster Up Front thread) if you're not interested. At CSW, all posts relating to a game are in a single thread so you have to wade through a ton of crap to get what you're looking for. I'll take a threaded interface every time over the ancient CSW dump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a monster Up Front thread? I don't see any bad threads around here. Why would I subscribe to those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should take a look at all the threads/posts about the new game page interface and how much crap BGG is given there - including a number of posts by me. Threads that are not locked or purged, so if your goal is to see the difference in admin response, you're in for some disappointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Polux
msg tools
To be honest, I have only ever seen constructive and helpful threads here on BGG. If there were threads of the type that you refer to, I can only guess that BGG and its moderators have rightfully and successfully dealt with them in past times (hence their current non-existence).

As to the navigability of the respective BGG and Consimworld threads, I think most objective observers would consider the BGG system to be superior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I can't smell these topics of discussion (or the people posting them) from my computer or phone. To me, the Internet doesn't have a smell.

Thankfully!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has nothing to do with wargames and doesn't belong in the Wargames General group. At best, it would go into AWOL but honestly I don't see it improving anything there either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McKerron
South Korea
Gyeong Ju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usiandrew wrote:
The Big question will be if the thread Natsi's or Admins close it when they let The former still continue at 26 pages and going strong? Personally this is what interests me most. Can you start a discussion about the problems at BGG and not get banned or Shut down?

This was what I was hinting at in the other thread. Tanks for taking up the mantle Andrew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Maybe you should take a look at all the threads/posts about the new game page interface and how much crap BGG is given there - including a number of posts by me. Threads that are not locked or purged...

Bull. Threads get locked - and quite a few get buried in the hard to find complaints section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
jumbit wrote:
This thread has nothing to do with wargames and doesn't belong in the Wargames General group. At best, it would go into AWOL but honestly I don't see it improving anything there either.

That would fit the normal tendency to hide anything critical of
BGG.

Why isn't the CSW thread there too? Not that squelching free discussion
is a good idea there either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Maybe you should take a look at all the threads/posts about the new game page interface and how much crap BGG is given there - including a number of posts by me. Threads that are not locked or purged...

Bull. Threads get locked - and quite a few get buried in the hard to find complaints section.

You mean that forum that's clearly marked "Complaint Department" and can be found just like any other forum here by going over the few dozen entries in the "Forums" section ?

The only threads I've ever seen getting locked were of the RSP type, not complaints about BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McKerron
South Korea
Gyeong Ju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, lets get on topic shall we. One thing CSW has over BGG is that there are no adverts. Seriously, do we need another newsflash on the latest and greatest Kickstarter campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
usiandrew wrote:
The Big question will be if the thread Natsi's or Admins close it when they let The former still continue at 26 pages and going strong? Personally this is what interests me most.

If so, you've made the thread into one whose purpose is not to be critical of BGG itself but instead to provoke the moderators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Is it Sacrilege to say the BGG Threads stink compared to those of Consimworld?"

Nope.

That would be called a lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris McKerron wrote:
OK, lets get on topic shall we. One thing CSW has over BGG is that there are no adverts. Seriously, do we need another newsflash on the latest and greatest Kickstarter campaign?

To stay on topic, for me there is not a single aspect of CSW that is preferable to BGG. And this is coming from someone who was utilizing the internet back in the days of BBS's. ...So yes, it is sacrilege.

This is not to say that it does not have an allure to those already invested in it, but it is objectively an inefficient interface.

Seriously, do the adds really bother you? They are peripheral to all the information on the page and are easily ignored (i.e. they are not popups).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too bad you have to choose and only go to one website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
If you honestly do think the threads stink, and aren't just trolling the admins, then here's my advice:

Write better ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it Sacrilege to say the BGG Threads stink compared to those of Consimworld?

Beware! The Inquisition cometh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usiandrew wrote:
Just curious. The number of Trolls, inane babble, White Knights, Insults and general stupidity of some forums here...

...I am curious why we simply have so many flame threads as opposed to actual threads dealing with gaming?

I can't imagine why you think starting a thread "Is it Sacrilege to say the BGG Threads stink compared to those of Consimworld?" would solve any of those issues. One of those issues being "flame threads" (surprise: this is one) and the counter being "actual threads dealing with gaming" (surprise again: this isn't one). Or how you can include 'insults' in a list of complaints including 'Trolls, inane babble, white knights...and general stupidity' with a straight face.

If you want more gaming threads, stop being the problem. Start posting content instead of expecting others to do it for you and being bothered by what other people choose to write.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My main concern with BGG threads is that there are too many of the "recommend a game" where the same tired discussion happens over and over again. Or threads that are veiled advertising for somebody's idea for a new game or other market research.

In this respect, the threaded discussion is actually a disadvantage (though it has many advantages).

Of course, both are searchable so you can find what you want. I've found that generally that the consimworld discussions become more elevated and progress rather than spin in circles. Or at least that's my take on the topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tswider wrote:
My main concern with BGG threads is that there are too many of the "recommend a game" where the same tired discussion happens over and over again.

Perhaps there would be fewer of these if more responders bothered to read the OP's requirements rather than recommend their favorite game.

OP: "I'm looking for a wargame that plays in under an hour and is easy to teach. I have played, but don't care for ASL because it is too complicated for me."

1st poster: "ASL is exactly what you're looking for!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Sitnam wrote:
tswider wrote:
My main concern with BGG threads is that there are too many of the "recommend a game" where the same tired discussion happens over and over again.

Perhaps there would be fewer of these if more responders bothered to read the OP's requirements rather than recommend their favorite game.

OP: "I'm looking for a wargame that plays in under an hour and is easy to teach. I have played, but don't care for ASL because it is too complicated for me."

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
tswider wrote:

Followed by recommendations for the latest COIN or OCS title.

But, back on topic, what you get from both BGG and CSW is wholly dependent upon what you want from either site. I see plenty of elitist behavior on both sites. Some persons like the "stream of thought" layout of the CSW forums, but late-comers will be hopelessly lost in THEIR pages of inside jokes and tangential discussions. And while the same thing occurs here in discussions that are more diverse, the navigation on this site to find the right discussion does leave a lot to be desired (especially since the graphic update to the game pages which now makes those pages entirely different from rest of the site).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
tswider wrote:

That's been my pet peeve. It is very disrespectful to the poster. It is saying, "I don't care what you want. I know better than you do what you want."

That is the only conclusion I can come to. If you read the post and ignored the constraints, you are disrespectful. If you couldn't take the time to read the post, it still sends the same disrespectful message that you don't care to read it because you already know what that person wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.