Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: [HotAC] mercenary campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Chinn
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

Thanks to the Shuttle Tydirium Podcast I'm now starting a Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign in our local store.

Now the problem is we have people who only want to play as Scum or Imperials, but we all want to play as one group (of mercenaries).

Our solution is this -

character creation:

Choose 1 faction, you can only pick ships, upgrades, and abilities from this faction.

Pick a ship - you have 26 points to pick a small based ship with a pilot skill of 2 or less and any upgrades, you may pay the points to upgrade a PS1 generic to ps2.

During play

Once you reach PS4 you may pay 5exp to move to another small base ship from your faction or 10exp to move to a large based ship from your faction.

------

Having never played HotAC can any of the more experienced players on here spot anything immediately problematic with this setup?

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
Crossing the factions won't be a huge problem mechanically, and there are certainly players who have run Heroes using exclusively Scum ships.

However there are good balance reasons that some ships (E-wing, T-70) and Large based Rebel ships were not intended to be playable in the campaign as-is.

You will find the player ships with 3 Agility are very potent against the AI swarms of Academy TIEs. Similarly, the large based ships are also really powerful, especially if there are multiple in the squadron. You might consider limiting the group a single large ship among you.

I would also imagine that a number of the Imperial ships are very, very effective if given the same level-up treatment as existing ships and pitted against TIE fighters. I suspect a high-level TIE Interceptor/Defender/Phantom will be basically untouchable and make the campaign too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Chinn
msg tools
mbmbmb
Cheers for the input Josh,

We are going to be running with 6 players anyway, so I'm going to crank up the number of opponent's as much as I can get away with.

I'll definitely suggest limiting the group to one large base (probably a YV666 or a scum Firespray)

I'll talk to them about the high AGL ships, but I'm sure it won't be a problem.

I'll try and keep this thread updated with how the campaign goes

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Chinn
msg tools
mbmbmb
OK we had a quick run through with three of us tonight just to get a handle on running the AI ships.

We ran an A wing with p-rockets, interceptor with shield, and a scum z95 loaded with ion pulse missiles, extra munitions, hotshot blaster and a PS increase to 2.

We ran the intro scenario and just about scraped a win, the interceptor was on 1 hull, the X-Wing on 2, and the Z died in turn 7.

I've got to say we were all really impressed with the AI and are definitely looking forward to pulling all 6 ships together to have another go at the intro (with fresh ships for all so no e p advantage for the three that played tonight)

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Chinn
msg tools
mbmbmb
hi all,

Just a quick post to say that we finally started playing!

I'm keeping a campaign blog over on the FFG forum, here is a link

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/233571-misfit...

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.