Subject: What the Truck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Driving to work this morning, I was behind a large pick-up truck.
He seemed to be going a little bit slower than traffic normally moves on my route, but I can't see anything except his giant back end (I'm in a much lower car) so I don't know if there is someone going slow in front of him, or not.
Long story short (he was going slow), later on in the trip I am stuck behind another giant pick-up truck-- same make model and color (Dodge Ram, blue)-- and, when he pulls off into a turn lane (stop me if you saw this coming) there was yet another giant pick-up truck in front of him (black this time, but they sell a lot of Dodge Rams in my city, apparently).

So watching the surrounding roads for a while, I come to the conclusion that 70% of vehicles around me are pick-up trucks, and about 25% of the rest are SUVs or vans. Only one in 20 of us is in a car.

I can now more-or-less confirm my estimates in under 3 minutes by looking out my office window at the traffic passing by:
6 SUV, 3 Vans, 3 Cars, 18 pick-up trucks (one pulling a trailer).
30 vehicles; 18 pick-ups is 60%, in a small sample size.

Why a truck, instead of a car?
It can't be price. Trucks often sell for more than many cars do (which is ridiculous, since they need about half as much interior work and safety/ airbag crap).
It can't be because they ar all hauling freight everywhere, because most of them have a 6 foot (or less) empty bed, and I could put something longer than they could into my car trunk with my back seats down.
Towing? Maybe, I guess.

Poll
My main vehicle, the one I drive to work in every day, is:
None (transit, bike/ motorbike, and people who walk, or telecommute, but still like to feel included on polls)
Car
SUV
Van (passenger specific)
Pick-up Truck
Delivery Truck (cube van, or larger)
      76 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Got a truck? Why did you choose it?
Are there more pick-up trucks on the road than anything else, in your city/ town, too?
(National sales figures suggest that there should be)

Got an SUV? Why that instead of a car? Surely you don't go off-road all the time. When it snows here, I see more SUVs in the ditches than anything else, so 4-wheel drive isn't well understood by their owners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine isn't exactly an SUV, it's a crossover, so I'm definitely not going off-roading in it because the chassis is not designed for that, but it's big enough to look like an SUV. Anyway, my 'truck' is good for hauling around the dogs, hauling crap at work (when I bought this, I was doing the bulk mail and post office runs), impromptu animal rescues and just the general hauling of all kinds of random other crap. You wouldn't believe the kind of crap I've found myself suddenly needing to haul. Also it's good for tail-gating out at the Royals games.

If I'm down to just one dog the next time I need to get a new vehicle, I will probably go with a car instead of an SUV for various reasons, but I am using the hell out of my extra cargo-room at the moment so it's going to be tough to down-grade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an "SUV" but it is more like a car... 2008 AWD Toyota RAV4. Small, maneuverable, gets the same gas mileage as my wife's car. I really like it, handles great in the Denver snow (better than the Volvo XC70 I used to have) and great for hauling stuff camping.

When it's used up, I'll probably switch to a 2 door MINI tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
They will never admit it, but "truck guys" buy trucks as a fashion accessory that is supposed to transmit the signal of: "Look at me! I'm a manly man! With a manly American truck!" Some men actually utilize trucks for their intended purpose (hauling shyte) but an amusingly large percentage of ostentatious American pickups are purchased simply as a male fashion accessory, designed to make the male driver appear more masculine. Even though they handle like shit, ride like shit, get terrible gas mileage, and are generally significantly overpriced. It's something like a testicle-tax for MidWest/Southern types.

(And Dodge Rams are plentiful because they are the lower-cost alternative to a Ford F-150 or a Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There wasn't a "I work from home/don't drive to work" option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a nice Chevy Silverado for a long time. I loved that truck.

Now I drive a Hyundai Sonata, I like my car too because it's a V6 with serious power and I can cruise at 80mph like its nothing, with plenty more to play with in the pedal. I like to drive fast and it's my comfort zone.

As a homeowner and outdoor enthusiast I miss my truck and would love to have another one, but I enjoy my car too. If I had the funds the best for me would be have a "beater" 4x4 pick-up for the house and fun and the car for everyday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
"telecommute" is supposed to handle that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
"telecommute" is supposed to handle that...

That is a dream of mine right along with retiring. I wish I didn't have to commute I lose an average of 10 days of my life a year to sitting in traffic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though where I live is technically a suburb of Washington DC, there's still a huge number of folks who drive trucks. I suspect they're compensating for something, as Mayor suggests, but I'm sure they would vociferously disagree as they pummel me to a pulp.

I much prefer a car, but will reluctantly drive my wife's SUV when required. The only way I can imagine driving a truck would be to flee from the zombie hordes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
MABBY wrote:
Why a truck, instead of a car?
It can't be price. Trucks often sell for more than many cars do (which is ridiculous, since they need about half as much interior work and safety/ airbag crap).

Pickups are a HUGE moneymaker for Detroit and Japan. One of the talking points defending Ford's moving of small car production to Mexico is that no jobs are being lost in the U.S.: they did it to free up production for the much more profitable large vehicle production.

Gas prices are down and many Americans (and Canadians?) are obsessed with home improvement. So there's some solid rationale behind people spending a bunch of money to compensate for their perceived lack of masculinity. Sure beats buying guns although Mother Nature may disagree (cue Slater cuing the RSP move).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a mid-size SUV, and am considering a pickup as my next vehicle. I love the the combination of being able to haul stuff, high vantage point on the road, all wheel drive for bad weather, and being able to say "Sorry, your kids can't ride with me because I don't have room."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sweat
United States
Boiling Springs
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I drive a Nissan Frontier, which I bought for the utility value; hauling garbage, helping people move crap and just hauling crap in general. Not long after I bought it, our church started a food ministry, and I used that truck to haul thousands of boxes of food here and there. I'd have to say it's been the best and most useful vehicle I've ever owned. I plan to drive it until it just won't go anymore.

As an aside, my previous vehicles were both small cars. Buick Somersett and Saturn SC2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My primary drivers have always been cars.

However, years ago, my wife and I got tired of never having anything that would carry any decent amount of cargo - both of our cars being fairly small. After struggling too long with long distance family trips with everything crammed into the hatch, we went shopping and got a 2007 Tahoe.

Gotta say, for traveling, we've loved it. The ability to carry a bunch of stuff (or pull a trailer if we need even more room) has made traveling a lot easier on us. Even day to day trips are improved; we would frequently have shopping purchases that we'd have to be careful with because they wouldn't fin in my car - but haven't found much we can't fit in the back of the Tahoe (and that which doesn't fit, like a few furniture purchases, can be fixed by a quick trailer rental.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
Gas prices are down and many Americans (and Canadians?) are obsessed with home improvement. So there's some solid rationale behind people spending a bunch of money to compensate for their perceived lack of masculinity.
Buying a truck to look manly seems like an idiotic idea. The "rationale" you give certainly doesn't justify the idea. At best it gives an alternate reason to buy a truck, not justification for the reason you listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I see nothing wrong with driving a truck because it improves your self-esteem. Not much different than wearing nice clothes. If it makes you feel better then go for it. Screw that "If you drive a big vehicle you obviously are lacking as a person" crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
People want big vehicles.

Govt regulations have caused cars to get smaller and smaller. Many of those regulations don't apply to trucks and SUVs on a truck frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first vehicle when I was 20 was a pickup, that I got instead of a car because with a commercial plate it was cheaper to insure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in an SUV until recently, when I switched to a car. The SUV was because we had one vehicle and it needed to seat 8. Now we have two vehicles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mbmbmb
You live in Alberta. I just assume that everyone in Alberta drives a pick-up truck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
You live in Alberta. I just assume that everyone in Alberta drives a pick-up truck.

You assume correctly. (Even I have a pick-up truck for use at work)
Not so much on the rest of the continent, apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Now if only those drivers in bigass trucks could learn that magical combination of looking at the speed limit signs, looking at their speedometer, and using their foot on the accelerator to reach the number on those speed limit signs.

Pretty much any time I'd drive somewhere in Colorado, there was some idiot in an F150 creeping down the left hand lane. Seriously, you'd think it's a law there that pickups are only allowed to go 30mph....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
... there was some idiot in an F150 creeping down the left hand lane....

feel rage building.... AHHHHHHH

the left hand lane is for passing!! GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!! HULK SMASH!!

phew... feel better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.