Subject: Survival usage (mostly in relation to Surge) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
I'm not sure if my group is using our surge actions correctly
Thhe way I interpreted it is that you can only use survival when you are not the attacking player, and each survival action can only be used once per round per player

Also, the times when you may use survival are during flows, knock downs, and anytime during the players' turns (except when attacking or in the middle of an activation)

So does that mean, in theory, if the game state allows, our group of survivors could execute up to 8 attack activations in 1 round?
Our actual activation action (which is 4 - one per player), and the possibility of surging once per other player's turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. There are a few ways to push it past 8, but it's pretty easy to hit 8 if you're aggressively spending and the monster doesn't run off.

edit: remember, you're counting rounds (player and monster turn), not turns, when resetting when you can take survival actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jion wrote:
Thhe way I interpreted it is that you can only use survival when you are not the attacking player, and each survival action can only be used once per round per player

Also, the times when you may use survival are during flows, knock downs, and anytime during the players' turns (except when attacking or in the middle of an activation)

So does that mean, in theory, if the game state allows, our group of survivors could execute up to 8 attack activations in 1 round?
Our actual activation action (which is 4 - one per player), and the possibility of surging once per other player's turns?

IIRC, you are missing one of the most important moments where survival can be used by non-attacking survivors: just before a monster's reaction to an attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
Jion wrote:

Just fought a LV 3 White Lion, last night. You do NOT want to end your turn adjacent to it. I was spending survival like hell, surging to hit then dashing away into the grass, double moving out of range etc. Most of my survivors began with 7 survival and it was all spent. I definitely used more than 8 different survival actions, in a single round, during that fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
hwknight wrote:
Jion wrote:

Just fought a LV 3 White Lion, last night. You do NOT want to end your turn adjacent to it. I was spending survival like hell, surging to hit then dashing away into the grass, double moving out of range etc. Most of my survivors began with 7 survival and it was all spent. I definitely used more than 8 different survival actions, in a single round, during that fight.

How did you use 8 different survival actions (per player) when there are only 4 survival actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Shu1984 wrote:
Jion wrote:

IIRC, you are missing one of the most important moments where survival can be used by non-attacking survivors: just before a monster's reaction to an attack.

Thanks!
Yes we remembered about that too, I just forgot to list it down
:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sai harris
msg tools
The later fights you really need to use dash more than surge. Mid game there is a lot of encourage needed too. Basically, all the abilities are great and its getting the most out of survival that is important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it is good to remember that the attacker can still use Dodge (unless he's been doomed).

Our group mis-read the FAQ, and for a while, every monster reaction was like a trap zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
odinsgrandson wrote:
Also, it is good to remember that the attacker can still use Dodge (unless he's been doomed).

Our group mis-read the FAQ, and for a while, every monster reaction was like a trap zombie

Really??

I've been playing that wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
odinsgrandson wrote:

Our group mis-read the FAQ, and for a while, every monster reaction was like a trap :zombie:

I don't think that is correct
The rule book clearly states that the attacking player is not able to use survival actions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Jion wrote:
odinsgrandson wrote:

I don't think that is correct
The rule book clearly states that the attacking player is not able to use survival actions

Yea, the attacker pays for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.